1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beware of Pathetic Content Writing Offers!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by course575, Aug 8, 2010.

1. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I check up on it every few days, but generally, there's nothing there that's worth doing. I think I found something about two weeks ago that was worth my while, but other than that, it's amusement value only. Same with these threads really!

j3rr3my8, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  2. TaylorR

TaylorR Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with what many have said here. Online forums and bidding sites are filled to the brim with people trying to get-rich-quick off the backs of "desperate" or new freelancers. In the last year, I have personally only accepted two offers from US based clients who actually understand the values of paying someone their worth and they are getting great results for that investment. Those same clients have come back to me time and time again and referred their colleagues.

So it's prudent to be selective and NOT accept ridiculously low paying gigs from anyone, regardless of if it seems ok at the time. Why? Because you will be targetted by other low paying clients who don't care about the quality of your work or if you can pay your light bill. Learn from my experience and focus on work that pays decently so you will spend less time being a slave and more time rising to the top of your game.

TaylorR, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  3. Xaina

Xaina Peon

Best Answers:
    Quality always reflects its worth! To all writers, you all should know what is the worth of your expression...

Xaina, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  4. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some very good posts now that the theme is looking at both substandard, and uneducated "writers" and buyers.

Jeremy makes a very good point (if I read it correctly) in expressing a need to not look for the jobs available here as a main source of income, and to look for the best, by "cherry picking." A smart approach.

TaylorR: You are dead on target with your posting. Very well put!

Senobia: I agree that is frustrating, but I value the approach you are now expressing. Realize there is a class of "writers" below you, you are past that level and refuse to lower your integrity. Low paying content buyers are only hurting themselves and it can be easily proven that they are LOSING profits every time they submit a poor quality article.

You however cannot, nor should not attempt to educate them. There are enough smart content buyers that will pay for quality content. However freelancing to fill offerings, sweat shops, and forums are not the best, or easiest places to locate them.

dyadvisor, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  5. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are more and more of these $1 for 500 word pathetic threads here now than ever before. It is very much like it is at GAF (getafreelancer) which I avoid like the plague.

awundrin, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  6. Dr.Viper

Dr.Viper Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But why are you ignoring the fact that some people from India, are indeed able, to write articles even better than some English people. It is the proficiency of the writer that must be valued and not his nationality.

If you are so troubled with the exchange rate of your country's currency, then i suggest you elect a new government. We are happy with our currency rate. :D

Also, please don't get annoyed at this post. I have seen a lot of your posts and most seem to point out to the fact that you are Globally Annoyed. Sorry for you, but find out the cause and rectify it.

This is not an advice or an opinion directed at anyone. Just my plain thoughts regarding the posts above.

P.S - Senobia, your language seems to be pretty good. I am sure you are successful. But if cheaper writers are troubling your business and you can't lower your rates, then won't it be better to form a group, where you take up orders, make the cheaper article writers write the article and then you edit the content before delivery? Seems like a good plan.

Good luck to you all in all your endeavours. Hope that we talk again soon.

Tejas Ramakrishnan - Another Indian - ;)

Dr.Viper, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Xania, unfortunately quality does not always express its worth. I go to an art museum and with many items, because of a lack or knowledge. I would have a hard time determining value. Quality of writing does likewise. The value must be recognized by the beholder. So you brought out a great angle, to make sure the quality of your work is valued right means it has to be viewed by the proper buyer. Many writers are unable to connect the value of what they write with the correct purchaser.

In the upper writing level, very often that person is not out shopping. The professional class, where the big bucks are at, need to be educated first of the value of the quality you offer.

dyadvisor, Aug 24, 2010 IP
  8. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of interesting views here. Some verging on the ridiculous, but that is what I have come to expect from some DP.

However, I have picked up some very good clients from here who will be on-going with me for a long time to come. Some of the fees quoted and requested though are absolute madness. How often do you find someone saying "Paying $150 for 1st class article"? Never happens, and that is a real shame.

I don't manage to secure 99% of the business I get requests for from here because most seem to think a couple of hours of my time is worth $10. stick a nought on the end and then multiply that a couple of times!

But you really do get what you pay for, that I have seen many times!

iNET SEO, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  9. QualityWriting

QualityWriting Member

Best Answers:
    The problem is there are a number of (for lack of a nicer word) bufoons who respond to these ads! "I can do this work sir", or "I have sent PM sir I can do this". If people would stop taking shitty jobs like this, perhaps buyers would be more inclined to take writers seriously. I get so angry when I see people working for sweatshop rates! I get even more angry when I see people with the audacity to offer these rates!:mad:

QualityWriting, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  10. cedartreeconsulting

cedartreeconsulting Guest

Best Answers:
    After reading this post, I get the impression that you had some really bad experiences and just wanted to vent it out... Well, me too!!!
    Let me tell you about an offer I received a month ago through some online freelance portal; 2000 articles (500 words each) for $1700 - less than a $1 per article!!! He got many applicants (which I was very surprised at) and he later hired someone for $500... No comment.

cedartreeconsulting, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  11. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I felt like I needed to put in my two cents here. I've seen applications from probably 50 or so writers from India in my short time in this business, and none of them were worth hiring. The few I actually did hire ended up not being able to reproduce the great writing ability they showed in their sample articles because they didn't actually write them. Now when I am hiring new writers, I automatically decline applications from India.

weezyfbaby, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  12. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    And what about those from Bangladesh and Malaysia?

Sigh! I could never fathom English. Is your last sentence grammatically correct? (hint: `I am hiring/I automatically decline')

parsibagan, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  13. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I treat writers from Bangladesh and Malaysia the same as ones from India. Yes, my last sentence contains fine grammar. Thank you for noticing.

14. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sentence contains fine grammar?

`I am hiring' is present continuous tense whereas `automatically decline' is not. By the way, I went through the `High Quality' samples on your website and I was disappointed.

P.S.: How can articles be `Native English?' as your signature suggests? :0)

parsibagan, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  15. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why are you ignoring the fact that I never alluded to this at all? I said they are willing to work for such a low rate because their economy allows them to.

I suggest you read posts thoroughly and understand them before you reply to them. No where have I lamented about being "troubled" by the US exchange rate.

Globally Annoyed...this is new. Does that mean like pissed off at the world? *head tilt*

Cheaper writers are not "troubling my business" because we are not in the same market. We do not work for the same client base. The buyers they have, I do not want - so there is no comparison.

Senobia, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  16. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right on, man.

Senobia, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  17. weezyfbaby

weezyfbaby Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You are right, turns out that was an error. I guess I don't check my forum posts like I check my articles.