1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Premium Members

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by shareurlinks, Jun 3, 2010.

I run a forum http://forum.jgblogging.com i was wondering whether or not to allow premium members, i just want to know whether i should and if so what do i offer them different than normal members?

Thanks

shareurlinks, Jun 3, 2010 IP
  2. ChopSuey

ChopSuey Peon

Best Answers:
    Better blogging of course! :D Special permissions and stuff.

ChopSuey, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  3. Stingerftw

Stingerftw Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I personally think you should wait till you get some more members, therefore it won't look like your just running the forum to make some $.

Good luck!

Stingerftw, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  4. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    with that kind of stats probably not; unless you can offer something very useful to premium members.

if you take DP for example, they can afford to offer premium membership. they are offering a tons of special advantages for premium members. you may even take warrior forum as another example.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
    webcosmo, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  5. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I think you would have a hard time selling premium memberships on a new forum without an existing member base. It's hard enough to get members to participate in a new forum, and you would make that even more difficult trying to get people to pay to become part of a new community.

We only started testing the water with premium membership after we were over 13M posts and nearly 400,000 registered users. It's gone pretty well so far, but we are also giving people a LOT of stuff that they actually want and can't get anywhere else. Some of the stuff premium members get here is just for fun (I certainly wouldn't expect someone to pay for premium membership just to get a larger PM box, bold username, more signature links or ability to change their user title).

But some of the more interesting things we give premium members has people subscribing to premium membership just to get ONE of those features. Access to premium articles (most notably the Sphinx search engine we built for vBulletin 4), directory listing, more features in the Keyword Tracker, sale thread highlighting, ability make private bids, ability to bump a thread every 7 days, access to pictures and IP address in the Phone Home system, etc. Those things all have people paying for premium membership just to get at ONE of those items. In the end we are giving premium members a LOT of truly unique stuff they can't get anywhere else.

Just ask yourself the simple question... would YOU be willing to pay for premium membership on a site similar to yours? If not, neither are other people.

digitalpoint, Jun 4, 2010 IP
  6. shareurlinks

shareurlinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thankyou everyone for your comments, i was planning in offering premium membership after like a year or something, does that sound about right?

shareurlinks, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  7. Galactek Designs

Galactek Designs Active Member

Best Answers:
    It all depends on your member base and what you plan to offer i have been on DP 2 months and have yet to get a premium but thinking about it after reading Mr Dp's post i never knew have of those benefits. Maybe i missed it in Sign up. Anyways i also agree you will need to ask your self would you pay for the premium and if any doubts imagine people who most likley are on other forums. I thinkt he key is to be unique and offer a lot of differnt perks.

Galactek Designs, Jun 6, 2010 IP
  8. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    as long as you can offer something people would be willing to pay for.
    one year does sound too early.

webcosmo, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  9. shareurlinks

shareurlinks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? Well ok, maybe i underestimated the length needed!

shareurlinks, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  10. dcd2008

dcd2008 Member

Best Answers:
    what mod do you use to offer permission levels for a fee with phpbb3?
    Is that only for vbulletin?

dcd2008, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  11. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to see DP finally taking advantage of premium memberships. I still think you have a long way to go.

You would be surprised how many are willing to pay to stand out. You believe that premium membership is about features and addons but to be honest. It's just as much about standing out in the crowd. That can be achieved very easily with different color usernames, group images, custom usertitles, and a few minor abilities. I'd personally be happy to pay $10-$25 for that very simple upgrade. I believe your price points right now are too high for the average DP member. Not me personally but what you offer doesn't entice me. I don't need the tools and I don't value standing out over $25-$50. I hope you experiment more with memberships. I think you'd greatly increase your revenue with very minor adjustments.

As for OP. Don't bother until you have a strong membership base. You'll probably turn off members by adding premiums. There is always a rush to monetize forums and that's a bad move. At best have a donation link in footer but overall don't even bother monetizing till your traffic can make at least $50-$100 a month. Anything less is probably more harmful than it's helpful. You can go a year or even two making nothing but your real focus should be activity and traffic. Once you have these going monetizing comes easy.

RectangleMan, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  12. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah... I'm sure additional stuff will be added to premium membership down the road, but I'm fairly certain that things like letting people change the username color or other ways of standing out along those lines will never happen. Mods/admins don't even get different colors. I'm not a fan of a rainbow of colors for anything really. :)

As far as not everyone wanting premium membership, that's the whole point... that it's for a select few, I don't want it to be some fee that everyone wants to pay... nothing exclusive about it if everyone has it. A big part of the value of it is that not everyone can do stuff it gives (for example if everyone could bump their threads every 7 days, you are back to square one with so many threads being bumped, they are getting pushed down quickly).

There obviously IS a market for smaller cost addon items, but I really don't see us ever going that route. I don't care if someone wants to pay $10,000/month for a blinking username, it's still too ugly for me to look at for any price. lol

digitalpoint, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  13. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Tiniest icon 24x24 would do it imho. And if you earn $10k-$25k a year from it you don't think it's worth it?

And exclusive isn't necessarily the same as premium account. One might have requirements while the other is just a paid upgrade.

I would just love to see your results from a $10-$25 per year membership with possibly the most bare minimum of features.

My guess is that your results from your higher memberships is doing well especially if you compare it to the time you had to put into the work. You'd see higher results from my suggestion. More would be willing to pay $10-$25 than $75 which is probably a months income for many Indian webmasters who are members here.

Looking at your Premium Member icon I think it's nice. Maybe have a simple one for "DP Donator" and require a $10 min to receive it. That one icon might earn you $1000 a month.

14. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Hell no... wouldn't be worth it to me if you could make $500k/year from it.

Just not gonna happen... I don't want to clutter up the forum or nickel and dime users to make a buck. I'd MUCH rather give stuff of "real" value even if it means making less money.

15. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    You're only looking at it from your own perspective. Many users imho would be thrilled to donate and have some way of standing out. Doubtful anyone would consider some option icon as some cheap method for you to monetize. I'd personally view it as an opportunity to donate and get something small in return. I'd consider it an incentive.

And one HUGE thing you could do is just have a $25 donator award and give them ad removal. I personally find the ads here intrusive especially when inside posts.

I do understand your perspective but respectfully I'm giving you an alternative.

Right now I have 3500 premium paid members on my site with hundreds per month upgrading. It's a respectable way imho to make substantial revenue.

16. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    We gave users the opportunity to donate years ago when we needed new servers... hundreds (maybe thousands, I dunno) did... and they still retain the benefits they got from it.

I'm not disputing the fact there is extra money to be made if I wanted, but the aesthetics of the site are infinitely more important to me than money.

That being said, you would be surprised how many premium members we actually have (most are not active users of the forum because they get it for some specific benefit)... sites using our Sphinx-based search for vB4 for example.

17. dcd2008

dcd2008 Member

Best Answers:
    anyone have experiences with this?

dcd2008, Aug 27, 2010 IP