1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Chess thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by agentwazakashi, Aug 26, 2010.

Lets talk anything about chess. Any members here that knows how to play it? It's an addicting sport once you learned the aspects of playing it. No wonder people who learned chess tactics( like skewer, pin, deflection), positional concepts( such as weak square, weak pawns and bad bishop) and endgame concepts (like opposition rule, lucena position, mate with two bishops) play this till they are old.

It is easy to learn on how to play this. To win in chess you need to mate the king. Anybody who have question regarding this sport I will answer it. I will teach anybody who wants to learn this sport.

The value of pieces in Chess. Pieces in chess are not equal, For example the Queen is stronger than a rook.

Queen= 9
    Rook=5
    Bishop/Knight=3 - there are situation in which bishop is stronger than a knight (open position). Knights are usually stronger on close position.
    Pawn=1

Anand is the current world champion , who have won over 2 million dollars against Topalov in their match.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
    agentwazakashi, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  2. ajivets

ajivets Member

Best Answers:
    wonderfull. Very exciting. how you can think like that. a good job. nice ....

ajivets, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  3. nasrua

nasrua Peon

Best Answers:
    excellent game

nasrua, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  4. fcbarcelonatickets

fcbarcelonatickets Guest

Best Answers:
    i like the chess and i play chess too.I know the moves but the pointing system and value of pieces(points) of chess is new to me.Can u ELaborate it?

fcbarcelonatickets, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  5. Amitoops

Amitoops Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love to play chess and its very easy to mug up his rules.Its an important for indian student to make his mind sharp with the help of this game

Amitoops, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  6. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Point system has been created by chess grandmasters so that it is easier to teach beginners which position has the material advantage or if the position is equal on material.

Example 1. White has dark bishop and light bishop , since bishop is equal to 3, then dark bishop + white bishop = 6. Now black has a rook, since rook is equal to five, white has material advantage because 6 are greater than 5.

Example 2. White has 3 pawns, since 1 pawn is equal to one, then 3 pawns = 3.
    Now black has a knight which is equal to 3, we can say that both and black has equal material.

Example 3. White has a rook which is 5 points. Black has two pawns and a bishop which is when you total is also 5 points, so the position is equal in material on both sides

Now one might ask is it better to have two pawns plus a knight or bishop against a rook? The answer is it depends on the position of the pieces on the board.

agentwazakashi, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  7. fcbarcelonatickets

fcbarcelonatickets Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your tips , understood it. but i think it mostly depend upon the playing style of a player.Few are good in making moves with bishops,few with rocks and few with horses.So for them the value of piece may vary...

fcbarcelonatickets, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  8. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Nope it does not depend on the players, it depends on the position. But Rook and Queen is always stronger than a bishop or knight. An endgame of queen vs knight, is hopeless position for the side with the knight. Two connected passed pawn (side by side) plus a bishop against a rook is known in endgame theory as usually winning for two pawn plus the bishop.

A queen is always stronger than a Rook. Now how can one can determine which is a stronger piece on the position a bishop or a knight? In chess there is a concept of bad bishop (these idea has been taught on all chess positional books). Consider these simple examples.

Walter Henneberger vs Aron Nimzowitsch
    Winterthur 1931 · Caro-Kann Defense: Main Line (B15) · 0-1

After 44 move white has a bishop and black has a knight. Notice that white has dark square bishop, and his pawns are on the black side limiting the scope of his bishop, in chess positional concept this is called a bad bishop. Look at the knight it is very strongly placed, it is pressuring the c3 pawn. So it's clear in this position, the knight is stronger than the bishop.

Another one

Alexander Khalifman vs Dibyendu Barua
    Ch World FIDE (play-off), Las Vegas (USA) 1999 · Queen's Gambit Declined: Harrwitz Attack. Orthodox Defense (D37) · 1-0

Notice the superiority of Knight against the bad bishop hampered by its own pawn.

Now when is a bishop stronger than a knight? Usually a bishop dominates a knight on open position.

Anatoli Karpov vs Zsuzsa Polgar
    Madrid 54/433 [Karpov,An 1992 · Semi-Slav Defense: Stoltz Variation (D45) · 1-0

Notice after move 37 on how Karpov's (one of the greatest chess player of all time) bishop dominates the knight. In open position like this in which the bishop has a lot of room to maneuver, it is superior against the knight.

Now in certain situation players sacrifice pieces against weaker piece. But in return they got compensation.

Mikhail Tal vs Harry Golombek
    Munich olm 1958 · Caro-Kann Defense: Advance Variation (B12) · 1-0

Tal(former world champion) sacrifice some pieces for a strong attack against the black king. Just search chessgames web site for these games , cause I don't have a live link option yet.

agentwazakashi, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  9. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    It seems there is no edit function, So I will just repost with links my response earlier to fcbarcelonatickets.

Nope it does not depend on the players, it depends on the position. But Rook or Queen is always stronger than a bishop or knight. An endgame of queen vs knight, is hopeless position for the side with the knight. Two connected passed pawn (side by side) plus a bishop against a rook is known in endgame theory as usually winning for two pawn plus the bishop against the rook.

A queen is always stronger than a Rook. Now how can one can determine which is a stronger piece on the position a bishop or a knight? In chess there is a concept of bad bishop (these idea has been taught on all chess positional books). Consider these simple examples.

Game 1 http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1273732

After 44 moves in game 1 white has a bishop and black has a knight. Notice that white has dark square bishop, and his pawns are on the black side limiting the scope of his bishop, in chess positional concept this is called a bad bishop. Look at the knight it is very strongly placed, it is pressuring the c3 pawn. So it's clear in this position, the knight is stronger than the bishop. Brilliant positional play by Nimzowitsch (the author of one of the most popular chess strategical book of all time My System)

Game 2 http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1010126

Notice in game 2 the superiority of Knight against the bad bishop hampered by its own pawn.

Now when is a bishop stronger than a knight? Usually a bishop dominates a knight on open position.

Game 3 http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1068973

Notice in game 3 after move 37 on how Karpov's (one of the greatest chess player of all time) bishop dominates the knight. In open position like this in which the bishop has a lot of room to maneuver, it is superior against the knight. Superb endgame play by Karpov. No wonder he is a former world champion!

Now in certain situation, players sacrifice pieces against weaker piece. But in return they got compensation.
    Tal(former world champion) in game 4 sacrifice some pieces for a strong attack against the black king. Tal is often called the magician from Riga. His games are like magic.

Game 4 http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1139388

agentwazakashi, Aug 28, 2010 IP
  10. Sake7

Sake7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I love to play chess :D

Sake7, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  11. mindhacker123

mindhacker123 Peon

Best Answers:
    magnificant game

mindhacker123, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  12. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Here is a basic lesson explaining on why a rook is considered stronger than a bishop or a knight.

A rook is stronger than a bishop. Look at these simple examples below to demonstrate that. I will use algebraic chess notation on explaining the moves. If you don't understand chess notation, click the links below.

http://www.logicalchess.com/hcc/scholastics/tutorials/notation.html"]http://www.logicalchess.com/hcc/scholastics/tutorials/notation.html"]http://www.logicalchess.com/hcc/scholastics/tutorials/notation.html

http://www.chesshouse.com/how_to_read_and_write_chess_notation_a/166.htm

A rook is stronger than a bishop. Consider these simple examples.

Example 1
    [​IMG]

Now count all the places the bishop on h8 can move it is 7. Now count all the places the rook on h1 can move can move, it is 14. This show the mobility and influence of a rook compare to a bishop.

Example 2

[​IMG]

Let say it is white to move, a good move here is Rd7, since the bishop was attacked it will move away, in return the rook will eat the pawn. Clearly a rook dominates the bishop.

Another example of the power of rook compare to bishop. An endgame of a lone rook plus a king against a lone king is a win for the side with the rook cause black can be mated. But an endgame of a bishop and king against a lone king is known in chess endgame as a draw. Cause the bishop and king can't mate the lone king. Here is an example of a mate with a single rook.

Example 3

http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/basic/r_k_mate/r_k_mate.htm"]http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/basic/r_k_mate/r_k_mate.htm"]http://www.chesscorner.com/tutorial/basic/r_k_mate/r_k_mate.htm

agentwazakashi, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  13. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    agentwazakashi, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  14. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Aside from studying strategy and endgame, in chess it is also important to study tactics to improve. In novice game elementary blunders are common. Example of these blunders are move that loses a piece or you let your king to be mated easily. To eliminate these elementary blunders one should solve chess tactics. The two links below are good sites for practicing tactics.

http://www.chesstactics.org/index.php?Type=page&Action=none&From=2,3,1,1
    http://chesstempo.com/

agentwazakashi, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  15. stephenbischoff

stephenbischoff Peon

Best Answers:
    What I love about chess is that it isn't physical and you can do it indoors. Plus, it sharpens the mind which is best for those in advancing age.

stephenbischoff, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  16. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Correct stephen. http://www.quadcitychess.com/benefits_of_chess.html

Here is the story on why I have appreciated chess.

I have learned chess at the age of 11 and I enjoyed playing it with my brother. As novice of the game before, I am not familiar on the greatness of the game, I don't know chess endgames, bad bishop, weak squares,tactical puzzles, sicilian defense, etc. My typical play is I will always look for a simple trap (hoping my brother will not see it) once my brother saw it, my moves will be will out of goal. I continued playing like this for a year then I stop playing it for years(thinking chess has nothing more to offer, I am a novice.) Boy I was so wrong! My brother bought a book, Play Winning Chess by GM Seirawan. When I tried to read it I was fascinated. Chess is more than pushing woods. Play Winning Chess opened my eyes that behind those moves involve logic and calculation. That book also shows me the great history of chess by telling stories and anecdotes about past champions like Capablanca and Tal. After reading that book I become hooked up with chess and it made me love the game.

agentwazakashi, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  17. micrologos

micrologos Peon

Best Answers:
    Chess is my favorite board game. It is full of strategy , and its an indoor game, that is the reason why I like this super game.

It requires full concentration and strategy ... Sometimes, the game even runs more than 4 days !!

micrologos, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  18. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Cool. If your games last for days then your are playing on online sites that have days per move options.

One ofof the chess rules that a novice is not familir with is the en passant rule. Because they don't know the rule some novice even argued that there is no en passant moves. En passant is an official chess rule it is a legal moves known to tournament players.

http://www.thechessdrum.net/chessacademy/CA_EnPassant.html

agentwazakashi, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  19. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Here are tips for novice players to help them win more matches.

1. Always study your opponent's last move.
    2. Look at the whole board.
    3. Unless you have a good reason not to do so, castle.
    4. Don't be intimidated by your opponent.
    5. When ahead in material exchange pieces.
    6. When behind in material exchange pawns not pieces.
    7. Put your rook on open file.
    8. Put your bishop on open diagonal.
    9. On every move always look if there are available tactics.
    10. If there are no available tactics, look at the postional factors of the position.
    11. In endgame bring out your king.

agentwazakashi, Sep 19, 2010 IP
  20. agentwazakashi

agentwazakashi Member

Best Answers:
    Here are good chess quotes from masters.

“Chess is like war on a board”
    (Bobby Fischer)

“Chess is a beautiful mistress”
    (Bent Larsen)

“Chess, like love, like music, has the power to make people happy”
    (Siegbert Tarrasch)

“The passed Pawn is a criminal, who should be kept under lock and key. Mild measures, such as police surveillance, are not sufficient”
    (Aaron Nimzovich)

“There are two types of sacrifices: correct ones and mine”
    (Mikhail Tal)

“Chess is above all, a fight!”
    (Emanuel Lasker)

“Chess is everything: art, science and sport”
    (Anatoly Karpov)

“Before the endgame, the Gods have placed the middle game”
    (Siegbert Tarrasch)

“I like the moment when I break a man's ego”
    (Bobby Fischer)

“That's what Chess is all about. One day you give your