1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing for bands on myspace--where to find clients?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Crynos, Sep 28, 2006.

I'm looking to establish another source of income, so, being that i've been very succesful on myspace and i love music, I'm looking to find some bands to do paid promotion for. My questions: Whats the best way to find bands to work with? How much would you recommend I charge?

Crynos, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  2. Jerad

Jerad Peon

Best Answers:
    Try ShareaSale, Commission Junction and Linkshare.

Jerad, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  3. pluto459

pluto459 Active Member

Best Answers:
    What type of promo work are you going to do. I am setting up spacepromotions.com and will offer full myspace promotions as well as thru my site freecds.tv to market directly to bands.

Let me know if you think we can work together.
    kevin

pluto459, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  4. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Add friends tailored to the bands genre, add general friends from friendstorm (possibly), comment related bands pages, etc.

Crynos, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  5. Blanket

Blanket Peon

Best Answers:
    pick up the local free music scene paper.

Blanket, Sep 28, 2006 IP
  6. thebigsilv

thebigsilv Guest

Best Answers:
    I am also thinking of setting up a side business. I currently have great contacts with the leading social network sites and am thinking of utilising this and helping people promote themselves on these sites.

If any has contacts of people who would pay a premium price to get the best coverage on these sites, i would happily give you a price of the fee!

thebigsilv, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Music publicity is one of the largest areas in my work through my firm, and Myspace has been an excellent way to network with bands. It's going to depend a lot on what kind of work you want to do for them. Do you want to do publicity work like media relations with radio stations, getting them newspaper or on-air interviews, etc.? Do you want to help them do show promotion, promote new albums more, help them organize street teams, help them plan events, etc.? There's a lot you can do. I'd say start by choosing one or two areas to specialize in, and start with a local area, especially if there's a good indie music scene near you. The amazing thing about indie bands is that w/in a pretty decent geographical range, they all seem to know each other. So if you do good by one or two, that can bring in a lot of new clients through word of mouth.

I started networking by launching an indie music webzine. By no stretch of the imagination is it anything special design-wise. But I always put the artists first, and found some good passionate writers to help out. Bands started finding me that way, and then I could advertise my firm on the zine, which is how some of my larger projects got lined up. Word spreads pretty easily, and now we've got indie labels big and small asking us to review their artists, clubs asking me to send people to cover shows... it's nice. The way I use Myspace is sort of roundabout. I set up a profile for the zine. I simply post occasional news there, and bands contact me regularly through the profile to make online submissions. They're then driven to the zine, and subsequently my business site. I don't send spam-style bulletins, and very rarely mention my business at all. It's just a nice trickle down effect. I'm sure if you tried something similar you could probably promote via myspace much more aggressively than I do, and you'd probably have a lot of success with it. W/o even using a separate site, you could offer to do reviews right on your blog, maybe offer free banner posting to a limited number of bands each week, or something similar. You wouldn't have to do much to have bands requesting you as a friend regularly, and once they're there, you can include bulletins, blog posts, etc. to advertise your promotion services. :) Sorry... I know that was long.

jhmattern, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  8. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jenn, you've actually just given me an idea for a new site, not sure if itll bring much money but ill certainly enjoy building it :)

Crynos, Sep 29, 2006 IP
  9. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Glad to hear it. Good luck with it. It's definitely a fun niche to work with. :)

jhmattern, Sep 30, 2006 IP