1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Beware of Pathetic Content Writing Offers!

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by course575, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What promises can you make a buyer in regards to how much money one of your articles is going to make them? If you think that you can make any, you are not only lying to yourself, but you're falsely advertising your services to the masses as well.

All you can do is write the content and generate interest. That's it. The moral of a website's tale is this: You can lead a person to a website, but you can't make him click. Or buy. Or come back. Or tell his friends.

And you're a fool to promise things you cannot deliver and buyers are fools to believe you.

Senobia, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  2. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's fantastic! Now, tell us again why you're on DP?

You've lamented previously about DP not being the place to find high paying buyers, nor high paying gigs. So I cannot fathom what someone of your (imagined and most likely - highly, highly, HIGHLY inflated sense of) perceived worth is doing here.

Senobia, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  3. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How can you be both surprised that something is going on and be in on it at the same time?

Senobia, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  4. mediology

mediology Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's funny reading some of the posts in this thread from those complaining about the copy writing offers on DP. (THIS IS NOT POINTED AT ALL OF THE POSTERS IN THIS THREAD)
    Horrible grammar, incorrect tense, misspelling etc. etc.

I have purchased a lot of articles here on DP. Typically, I don't talk about my rate I simply post the requirements and then go from there. Sometimes I receive writing samples via PM and make my decision based on the samples while other times I may PM or email back and forth with the prospective writer.

So far I have gotten screwed by a couple of guys who have a "team" of article writers. Of course they promise the world while asking for what amounts to the tip I leave for a beer at the local bar. If their articles were free I wouldn't used them.
    I had an agreement with another writer who penned a 1000 word article. It passed copyscape and had some of the keywords I requested. The article actually confused me. It was full of bizarre words and much of it was simply nonsensical. I asked for it to be revised to fix the zillion grammatical errors and of course I had to actually point them all out to the writer (shocker).
    It was taking so much of my time I just gave up and paid the guy his $25. I never used the article and later realized it was several paragraphs taken from wikipedia in no particular order and then spun into this horrendous article.

At the present time I have a writer who I hired here at DP from this thread I had offers from people seeking $1 per 100+ words and I had requests for $5 per 100 words. In the end I chose a writer who I am paying $2.50 per 100 words. He has finished 6 articles for me over the past month and he is on number 7 and 8 now.

And the actual point I want to make here is....There are as many crappy writers on DP as there are crappy copy writing offers. The 2 typically find each other. There are also some great offers here and some great writers. In the end both sides simply need to separate the chaff from the wheat.
    Hopefully, in the end everyone gets what they are worth or what they paid for.

mediology, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  5. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Meh! You want a good writing job? Go to http://www.constant-content.com/. All this crap isn't gonna get you no where, DP is always gonna be filled with all these cheap skates who want 1000 quality, Copyscape passed, search engine optimized words for $1.

RadioBounce, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  6. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Right on!

GeekHang -

I have an account there. I don't like the monthly payout, tho so I don't use it. Eh.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Senobia, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  7. ThisOldMan

ThisOldMan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Here's are some ideas for aspiring writers:

1. Make your own blog.
    2. Post regularly to your blog.
    3. Don't look for buyers.
    4. If your writing is good, you will get offers.
    5. Don't accept slave labour rates.
    6. Keep on posting to your blog until you get a good buyer.
    7. Keep on posting to your blog even after you get a good buyer.

Hope that is useful.

ThisOldMan, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  8. mediology

Best Answers:
    Been there. A LOT of really bad articles. Oh and there are tons of DPers there as well.
    Cheap skates? LOL! OMG shutter at the thought of actually wanting an article which is unique and passes copyscape!
    And there are a lot of good writing jobs here. You just have to be a decent writer to get them.

mediology, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  9. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You left out the part where he said:

Now, in regards to this:

For clarity, kindly define "good" and "decent".

Thanks.

Senobia, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  10. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can find good writers both on CC and DP. While fingers are just being pointed at writers who accept jobs for a measly $1, what about the person who is paying that amount? It takes two hands... correct me, if otherwise. I'm sure `mediology' meant `well paying' when he used the term `good' & for `decent,' `above the average.'

I can bet that 98% of the writers just do not know the meaning of a search engine optimized article. Just populating 1-2% of the articles with keywords does not make it search engine optimized, even if the k/w was used once, in the first sentence, once in the last paragraph, and the remainder scattered throughout the text, including one in the title.

I may be wrong here too... please correct me.

parsibagan, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  11. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Senobia: In response to your question why am I here. It is best to ask why are you?

I have contributed my free time to help sincere writers improve their career. I am now disabled, and have been financially rewarded with my writing.

So I provide assistance to writers that want to become professional. This means not chasing buyers, but developing professional clients in the business market.

That is why these writers can get $30 to $60 per article, and a package order. They are not even competing with you. These are competitive article writers, only concentrating on profit returns for the business.

You have to understand that any business person is concerned about ROI, return of investment. The amount they should (not necessary do) pay for an article is based on the results the article will return for them.

That is why to there are people in all different price areas of what they will pay for any article. One that is going to receive $3,000 profit from an article is certainly going to pay more than one squeaking out $50.00

There are just as many bum article writers as there are purchasers. That's life on the internet.

dyadvisor, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  12. mediology

Best Answers:
    Senobia,
    "copyscape passed" should be a given regardless of the price. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't even the cheapest of buyers expect the article they purchased to pass copyscape?

And yes parsibagan is correct but let me also add:
    *long term work
    *and bulk orders
    *A fair rate with potential bonuses

Again, I get offers from people who want to write for me for $1 per 500 words and plenty of them but I know what I am going to get. I have yet to hire a $1/per 100/500/1000 words writer. I have hired $25 per 500 and 1000 word writers who don't even deserve $1. Fortunately, I have found some writers here who are worth the money and I will continue to give them work.

As dyadvisor pointed out, "There are just as many bum article writers as there are purchasers."

Ultimately, this thread should have been titled, "Beware of Pathetic content writing offers and pathetic content writers".

I have to ask why do crappy writers who take the crappy jobs deserve more? They won't get it if they are not good just like any other industry. If you are a God awful carpenter and are hired to do a job and totally screw it up you won't get paid. In fact you will probably be sued and/or lose your contractors license yet here you can underbid, get the job, totally screw it up and immediately move onto the next project. Why do other writers want these people to receive higher pay? Is it to get rid of the crappy writers so that decent writers don't have to compete with them? I don't understand the reasoning so if someone could enlighten me that would be great.

mediology, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  13. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't mind waiting for the month, as long as I get a decent pay.

RadioBounce, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  14. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's very kind of you.

Senobia, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  15. IoWn3rU

IoWn3rU Peon

Best Answers:
    The problem is that very talented writers, not to brag but like myself, who take College level English courses at schools get screwed over because they do not know how to make more money out of writing. Freelancer sites are almost the same as DP, with low rates, and plenty of third-world users.

IoWn3rU, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  16. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sure, but people rip content from blogs/websites all the time and try to pass it off as their own. Eh, people are strange. (and brazen)

I don't think anyone believes they do. I think the point the writers on this thread are trying to make is that most DP buyers want Armani goods at Walmart prices.

Goodness has nothing to do with it, love. Some buyers on these forums will laugh in your face - if not cuss at you - for telling them you won't work for their price, regardless of whether you're an Ivy League scholar or a high school drop out. (Yes, I know this for a fact. Yes, it's happened to me.)

This is funny. We (I) don't see them as competition, man. The kind of buyers they cater to aren't in our (my) league. We (I) turn them down all the time.

Senobia, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  17. mediology

Best Answers:
    Your response cleared up a lot of questions for me. Thank you!
    I did not know that there were content buyers who expected good or even passable articles for $.01 per word. I thought the buyers were just looking for a bunch of keyword rich, unique content for their MFA sites where it is all about getting visitors to the site to click on the links not actually read anything.

So in the end this is actually good for the legitimate buyers as well. If the $.01/500 word buyers go away hopefully the comparable writers will also disappear!

Thanks again for the clarification.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    mediology, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  18. Senobia

Senobia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not only this!

Some of them have a whole laundry list of "requirments" on top of it....such as:

*I need a picture that measures blah by blah. Must blah and be blah.
    *I need this article submitted to 4 million article directories within two hours.
    *I need you to use A,B and F keywords 301 times each, every 3rd line and 8th word.
    *Signing of an NDA is required.
    *If I like it, I will pay you AFTER you do the work. Sorry, this is not negotiable.
    *Before you even start, I need three 800 word samples on antelopes, jackasses and mules. These will be mine. You cannot claim them as your own. Ever. Period.

I mean..it's CRAZY! Do look at some of the offers on the forum some time. Insane!

Senobia, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  19. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well if you're going to try to find clients on DP then it is all about cherry picking. I've got about four regular clients that came from DP who are great, but I have probably looked at about two hundred jobs to get those! You're right though, there are some ridiculous suggestions coming from some of the buyers out there...

j3rr3my8, Aug 23, 2010 IP
  20. rachel112233

rachel112233 Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow It's sad and also fun reading all these replies.
    Poor quality has been sucking DP these days.

Also, the writing standards have gone far down AFAIK.
    My friend is a writer here ans he stopped visiting the content creation section long ago.

rachel112233, Aug 23, 2010 IP