1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Are benifts For DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by Pakiisp, Aug 1, 2010.

1. HyperWatch

HyperWatch Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ listing is important, and it gets you thousands of backlinks. Once you get your domain listed in DMOZ, many DMOZ mirros across the world will relay your website. There are thousands of such DMOZ mirrors! Including Google Directory.

As we work with hundreds of customers every month, we see exceptional differences when site gets listed in DMOZ! PR, Traffic both increases within few months!

HyperWatch, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ummm... I think you added a ZERO or something...

http://www.dmoz.org/Computers/Inter..._Project/Sites_Using_ODP_Data/full-index.html]

it says 110 listings are in : Top: Computers: Internet: Searching: Directories: Open Directory Project: Sites Using ODP Data

If you go to that link above you'll find that its PR is UNRANKED... so so much for that ;)

Qryztufre, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Agent000, Aug 18, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should look into it again, then apply to edit that category... its one thing to say 3k sites are using the dump and another to only show 100 or so. (Note: I am NOT saying you are wrong, just saying the cat may not be reflecting true numbers).

Qryztufre, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  5. Agent000

Best Answers:
    (Note to DMOZ editors: Please look away and do not read this). I have to admit that I had a little inside help when I looked into this. A helpul editor privatly explained to me that there are a number of "internal" categories in DMOZ, one of which was a category that included sites using the RDF dump WITHOUT the proper attribution. They were obviously not going to get a proper DMOZ listing ... it was the shear number I was told about; I also did a Google search --- so I had thre sources - the public DMOZ category; the hidden DMOZ category; and a google search. I then used a stats technique called capture/recapture which allows you to estimate the total number in a population when you have 2 or more samples that led me to the conclusion that there were then ~3000 sites.

Agent000, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So, what you are saying is that there are in fact 3k sites that use the data, yet only 110 are listed, and that we have nothing but your word based on the word of a nameless editor?

I'll remember that the next time ya ask me to back something up :p

THough here, my own example...

Take a site description from a random ODP category. Google for it without quotes.

Now google it with quotes...

You should notice that the first example gives around 3k, while the first only offers up 400 or so.

Take the first listing in this cat: http://www.dmoz.org/Society/Religion_and_Spirituality/Esoteric_and_Occult/Chats_and_Forums]

"Occult forum offers discussions on demonology, magick, encounters, witchcraft, magick, religion, and all things spiritual or mystical in nature"
    Give 2.5k results without quotes & 441 for with quotes.

So are ya sure your numbers are right? With quotes I'd assume list all the sites that Google knows use it... minus maybe the banned ones.

Though, on a completely unrelated but humorous note, try the search (with quotes) on AOL's search... you'll find they list the google directory but not their own ;) :p (nor any of the other clones)

7. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I had no reason to not trust this editor....and besides:
    1. Why would they deliberatly lie over this
    2. If you knew anything about capture/recapture methodolgy, there is a margin or error...but I used three sources

As or your eg, don't forget a lot of categories will not be indexed in Google for most of the ~3000 directories

I also did this exercise 5-6 yrs ago, so its proabbly a lot less now.

Agent000, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, 5 or 6 years ago, AOL even actually used ODP data, so yeah... it's likely a bit less now ;) :D

(as to your point about Google not indexing many of the duplicate sites, I'll agree with that one as well).

The true number is likely someplace in the middle... but still, if it's higher then the 110 listed, I find it sad no one has enough ODP pride to update that category. According to the bottom of the page, it's been a year and a half.

9. nanncy.grill

nanncy.grill Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi I believe a person should buy DMOZ listing from some company or any experienced person. He can help you listing your website to this directory!

nanncy.grill, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why buy what is so freely given?

Follow the editors guidelines as put in the nutshell of the ADD page, and the sticky on this board.

Then simply SUBMIT & FORGET

Qryztufre, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  11. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    As DMOS is no longer an "open" directory I am not sure what the benefits are anymore. Perhaps Google will sample Yahoo instead in the future.

Going Green, Dec 10, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you ever bother to read the sticky's here you would see that the 'open' in Open Directory has always referred to the fact that anyone using the correct attribution can use the DMOZ data. It NEVER meant anyone could edit and neither did it EVER mean that all sites suggested would be listed or that they would be listed quickly. If you are going to comment on facts make sure you have them.

And if there are no benefits why do you keep whinging about a private collection of links which belong to the volunteer editing community just because you are not listed. Grapes and sour are two words which run through my mind.

Anonymously, Dec 10, 2010 IP
  13. shalini123

shalini123 Peon

Best Answers:
    The DMOZ directory submission, or The Open Directory Project, is now so highly regarded that any respectable SEO services company is now

shalini123, Dec 10, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    You are talking nonsensical. Look at the newer and more up to date SEO sites... you'll see that the ODP is no longer tops and has not been for years. What makes people keep thinking it is, is people like you spouting off like cattle because you saw some other guy spout the same thing off... and sadly the information you are giving is over 5 years old.

Qryztufre, Dec 11, 2010 IP
  15. kanda

kanda Peon

Best Answers:
    It's up to what 's the purpose of yours. If you want to get on top ten Google SERP ,Nowadays It's not high factor. The better and easy is try to build more backlinks . Everyone know that how hard to get list in Dmoz. Someone will charge you for more than $500 to get list in Dmoz. I think you should use this money to build backlinks is far better and high effectively than get list in DMOZ to get in Google SERP.

If you want just want your site to be an authority site ,DMOZ is the one of many choices.

kanda, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  16. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is FREE, but it can take from a few days to a few years to get a review for a possible listing.

Anonymously, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  17. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I worry about ODP now, because it is not updating any category since August 2010. I have browsed my categories but got nothing updated for long period of several months and years.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  18. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    No. Do it yourself. DMOZ was free as I know.

19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Your welcome to apply to become and editor, we are all volunteers, then you can help make a difference.

Anonymously, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  20. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Yes, I applied when I saw that the local regional category of my native place is not having any Editor since 2009/2007.

I applied for more than 5 times with my hotmail id, but never got any mail which needed to confirm the submission. Instead I got their reject mail.

Then I applied using my professional mail id. Again rejected with no reviewer comment. Then I brought the matter to their official RZ forum.

And then I got reject mail with their reviewer comment with: DO NOT APPLY AGAIN.

I was blamed as I was trying to gain monetary benefit being ODP editor, they given the reason that I was using the professional mail id/identification.

But what about to those applications, which were applied with the hotmail id? The DMOZ fellows had no answer.