1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will flash be dead ?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Charismatic_Verma, Jul 8, 2010.

1. VarriaStudios

VarriaStudios Member

Best Answers:
    flash will not die, it will continue to grow as it has for the last few years.

VarriaStudios, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    yet we are buying four iPhones.
    Maybe YOU can't but I can and I don't expect you to be in this line of work five years from now.

And yet nearly 50% of browsers used around the world are HTML5 capable today.
    While you ignored firefox and safari and opera and chrome users who all can run html5.

You don't explain how that would happen. All browsers will run html5 elements by next year. Are you saying all browsers are doing it for the same reason? Or are you just guessing?
    says the guy who apparently only sees things from the flash point of view and doesn't seem to know much about html5

drhowarddrfine, Aug 3, 2010 IP
  3. kids

kids Active Member

Best Answers:
    Er, think twice, Flash is still need for Games, if HTML5 can build command set that can replace flash action script, Flash will be died. We almost don't remember what about action scripts, so we think FLASH die if HTML5 have [video ]...[ /video] ~~> it's not [object]...[/object], it will never replaced!

kids, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  4. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Then Flash is dead. ActionScript is nothing but a javascript-like language and "HTML5", as you call it, can the same thing as Flash with javascript, canvas, and SVG and <video/audio>. Advantage: javascript, canvas, video/audio and SVG are standards that will work on any browser on any operating system. Actionscript only works with Flash, is proprietary, needs to be installed and only works well on Windows.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  5. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that HTML 5 games will probably be more expensive and/or time-consuming to produce since one would have to learn multiple languages and tools, probably spend more time on production to get the same product, and the hundreds of gaming portals out there now will have to make the switch (which probably means getting rid of tons of pre-existing games, design overhauls, etc.). Part of the appeal of Flash is its ease of use.

Flash works well on other operating systems too. It might not be as compatible with mobile devices (especially iPhones, iPads, etc.), but Flash has worked well on Windows, Linux distros, and Macs in my experience.

I do believe that HTML 5 might do more damage to Flash than Silverlight and Unity have, but I doubt that it'll be the killing blow.

ViolentAJ, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  6. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You mean HTML, CSS and JavaScript? We already know those.
    That's no expense on new designs.
    Javascript is harder than action script? No.
    flash does not work well on linux and Apple complains flash is the #1 cause of crashes on Macs.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  7. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Two major mobile browsers either do not support Flash or Flash slows them down. This is unacceptable, especially since mobile devices have been using Java for quite some time. Most smartphones will have enough processor speed to run Flash, but it is so heavy that the browser is having a hard time digesting it.

If Flash can trim down their load times, I see Flash staying alive and remaining a competitor to Java.

Blue Star Ent., Aug 4, 2010 IP
  8. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    Apple has around 40 percent share in mobile browser traffic recently. Here is an interesting article
    showing that mobile browsers have surpassed computer browsers. LINK

Blue Star Ent., Aug 4, 2010 IP
  9. ViolentAJ

ViolentAJ Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not everyone knows those languages and tools. It's easier to pick up one multitool (Flash) than to learn all of the various languages and tools. I'll be honest, I played some demos in HTML5 and I was impressed. However, the ease of development isn't there like in Flash.

Designing a game in Flash is much more than just the programming. Sounds and vector graphics can be handled very easily in Flash. Can canvas create vector graphics with the same ease of use (asked out of curiosity, since I've never worked in HTML5)? Can objects have child objects (like actual hitBoxes that can be referred to by ship.hitBox rather than having to code the hitBox in)?

There are a lot of questions to ask, and at the moment, there seems to be a lack of HTML5 game-design tutorials. Finally, HTML5 games need to be focused. Whenever I used my arrow keys to move, the window would scroll.

ViolentAJ, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  10. krata

krata Peon

Best Answers:
    Flash has always been there for what HTML couldn't do. And flash will always be there, for what HTML can't do.
    YouTube even said, the <video> tag cannot replace large video delivering site as big as YouTube. the HTML5 Video tag is simply good for a static page that wants to add video. It's as simple as that.

Also, Once HTML5 will render the same graphics as Flash, be sure that HTML will be sloww, or just as sluggish as Flash for heavy content... It needs to render it doesn't it? SVG, the graphics canvas of HTML5 is an Adobe XML specification.

I see Flash flourishing now, and Adobe is pretty much forced to optimize the player. Thinking of Web Based Applications, HTML5 will be limited, even in 10 years after the full specs of HTML5 will be done. Flash would be in a different place altoghether.

krata, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  11. krata

krata Peon

Best Answers:
    Games will still be done in Flash, in the near future, and probably for a long time. HTML isn't made for that. Nor for Web Based Apps.

krata, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  12. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Flash has nothing to do with Java.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Most web developers know all the languages and have all the tools so learning how to do this is easier than learning how to do Flash the first time. Actionscript for Flash only works with Flash. Javascript works with everything everywhere.
    Yes, as can SVG.
    Yes. Javascript is object oriented.
    I would think more people would like to use canvas for real work and not games.
    Javascript can control the whole browser.

14. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    Exactly. Where did you think it did ?

Blue Star Ent., Aug 5, 2010 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    But now, HTML can do what Flash does.
    Most people are not and will never have YouTube requirements and Flash is much more than just video.
    HTML5 graphics are native and built in to the browser and can take advantage of hardware acceleration. Flash is a plugin application. Guess which will be faster.
    SVG is not a canvas, it's an XML file format. It was submitted by Adobe to the W3C in the 1990s, added onto, and became a W3C standard back then.
    Adobe is creating suites for HTML5 that don't include Flash. HTML5 also includes built in web app form and function elements and APIs.
    Standards are based on implementation and the documentation of HTML5 is based on current implementations. Standards bodies, and Adobe is one of the HTML5 members, do not invent anything on their own.

16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    From YOU...................................................

17. Blue Star Ent.

Best Answers:
    Duh ! I said they were competitors so they are related ??

That is like saying MSN and Apple are buddies... not.

Blue Star Ent., Aug 5, 2010 IP
  18. horsey67745

horsey67745 Peon

Best Answers:
    HTML5 appearance, it is possible to flash into an impasse, the official comment HTML5 will flash a similar function, and take up very few resources, Apple also announced some time ago to give up flash, flash is very dangerous ah!

horsey67745, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  19. higreg7

higreg7 Peon

Best Answers:
    +1 - Most people make the mistake to compare HTML5 in 5 years to flash now, flash will also evolve in those 5 years.

higreg7, Aug 6, 2010 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Listen to yourself. YOU said Flash is a competitor to Java. I said they have nothing to do with each other.

drhowarddrfine, Aug 6, 2010 IP