1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to Keep bounce rate below 50%??

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by valent, Jul 28, 2010.

i confused to control the bounce rate below 50%, mine right now is 78% this is worse. i wanted to control bounce rate belo 50% or 40%

anyone here can give me advice? thx :)

valent, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  2. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Bounce rate is quite dependent on the type of website you have. For example, if you have a sales letter type site with all your info on one page, your bounce rate will be very high. Or if your main goal is to generate clicks for cpc campaign and your ads are well placed and targeted then your bounce rate will also be high (and this would be a good thing!).

But if your goal is to get people to visit multiple pages in your site, obviously maintaining a low bounce rate is very important.

The most important thing to do to lower bounce rate is to create a clear call to action for your visitors. A very common method with people selling software is to have a large button that says try for free or test drive or something similar. Then the supporting images and text fit around this.

Try thinking about building your page around your call to action, rather than building a page and then trying to fit in a call to action.

If you post a link to your site I will take a closer look...

zhoom, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  3. valent

valent Greenhorn

Best Answers:

hmm... i want to keep the bounce rate low because i want people get more comfort with my blog, and the advertising click rate in my website is high.

my web site is casanovasorolla(dot)com take your time to take a look at it, thx :)

valent, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  4. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have a very high ad click rate, then naturally your bounce rate will be high (if they are clicking straight off from your entry page). Bounce rate is basically people who leave your site straight after entering, without visiting another page.

The other thing to consider is where your visitors are coming from. If you traffic is is finding you when looking for let's say VW Jetta and they find your iPhone/Jetta articles, they may bounce because this is not really what they are looking for.

When it comes to a blog, your headline is your key call to action. You must ensure your headlines entice the visitor to want to click and read the article. Generally I think your blog has good enticements to encourage the viewers to read one (related articles, large read more button), recent posts and others in sidebar.

I guess the key point for you is to analyse your visitors and see if your content is what they are really looking for.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    zhoom, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  5. valent

valent Greenhorn

Best Answers:

im still confused in calculating the keyword most people searching for. can you suggest me some tool that i can use?

it's little out of topic, it is good if im submit my site to social bookmarking site? i mean, maybe i can get more visitor from that. what do you think?

valent, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  6. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    you should be able to figure this out with Google Analytics (GA). Do you use that?

You can use GA track popular keywords and the bounce rate for visitors who visit your site with those keywords. In fact GA is very very powerful and can track visitor paths, setup sales funnels track goal conversions and so much more that I cannot even cover in one (or probably a hundred!) post.

Yes you can get visitors by bookmarking and a wide range of other things. I saw a blog post today by another dp member, http://www.howtomakeawebsite.net/inc...bsite-traffic/ You might find it useful.

zhoom, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  7. k.bla

k.bla Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the definition of the bounce rate.

k.bla, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  8. valent

valent Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Im using Google Analytics for controling stat of my website, but im still confused to see what people really search in my site.

what do you think of my blog? umm i mean it is has a potential?

valent, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  9. zhoom

zhoom Peon

Best Answers:
    Go to GA dashboard > in left nav menu click traffic sources > in menu that appears below traffic sources heading click keywords. This will list all your keywords that people are using to find your site and list some data including bounce rate beside them.

Every blog has potential. You need to market it well and create quality content that entices people to read and return to your site. I have to say however, tech and gadgets is highly competitive.

zhoom, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  10. ultimaterinks2006

ultimaterinks2006 Member

Best Answers:
    You should have clear goal of bounce rate in your mind while writing your blog post.You can implement following tips to reduce your bounce rate :-
    1.Use inter linking in your post;this will encourage your readers to check your interlinked post as well.
    2.Use similar post widget/feature on your blog this shows 4-5 similar content post of your blog.
    3.Use most popular post in your blog, it will encourage readers to leave a comment and read your other popular posts as well.

ultimaterinks2006, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  11. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    One of the main culprits of a high bounce rate is content not matching the traffic that you are targeting, and boring or bad design.

It's really simple. People got to your blog looking for one thing and either you didn't have it, or didn't present it properly in a way that made them want to stick around.

My first impression when I looked at your blog was "Yawn..another amateur tech blog".

Assuming that your content does match the keywords and phrases that you are targeting, you really aren't doing much to impress me as the reader.

The design is average...no different from any other basic Wordpress template.
    There are no images that catch my attention, or quick description of where I have landed above the fold.
    Your menu titles leave me wondering what it is that you do and there is nothing there that says that I will get what I am looking for on this blog.

Unless your keywords,or descriptions are "Gadget Talk", "General", or "Hit the road with lifestyle" how am I supposed to know what you have to offer when I first land on your page?
    If you make me work to find out, I'd just as soon find another page that tells me and shows me immediately...in other words, someone who looks like they know what they are doing.

..and then just to satisfy my curiosity I read the first sentence,
    Completely incoherent and nothing in it grabs my attention to make me want to read further. I also back out in under 30 seconds but it was enough for me to leave you 2 minutes worth of critiques.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I have never seen your blog before and I too bounced out immediately.

All of the other advice about linking, keywords, and everything else is all good advice, but you need to handle the basics first. None of that will do you any good until you do.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    hmansfield, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  12. sasanchez

sasanchez Guest

Best Answers:
    Hello valent,

Here are 10 tips to lower your bounce rate on your website...

1. Give customers what they are expecting to find.
    A landing page needs to be an extension of your PPC advertisement. If your ad is talking about purple widgets and your landing page is all about unbreakable widgets you greatly increase the likelihood that your visitors will bounce off the page and go to a competitor’s site. The more specific your ad the greater the need for an exact match (headline, copy and images) on your landing page.

2. Remove autoplay videos
    Autoplay videos are the bane of nearly any web site. “How do I stop this” is the first thing many visitors think when a video just starts playing. Instead of pushing (forcing), your visitors to watch your video, figure out how to pull (entice) them into watching your video.

3. Make your site easy to navigate
    If your navigational structure looks like it is paying homage to a cross between a Family Circus cartoon and the periodic table, you need rethink your navigational structure. Visitors are inherently lazy. Make it easy and intuitive for them to find what they are looking for.

4. Simplify your writing
    Is the web copy easy to understand? Remember that an eighth grade reading level is probably just about right for most visitors. Unless your target audience is very technical, avoid industry jargon and technical terms that the average visitor might not understand.

5. Trash any popups
    Popups distract customers from their goal of buying stuff. There are usually better options available for delivering information. Popups are aggravating and aggravation leads to a higher bounce rate.

6. Fix the broken links
    One of the most frustrating things that a visitor can find is a broken link. Regularly check all the links on your website and make sure they work as expected.

7. Don’t Require Registration
    Customers want to buy right now. Forcing customers to register prior to making a purchase will deter some people. Let visitors buy without registering and see if your cart abandonment rate improves. If you want to capture additional information not covered in the checkout process, give visitors the benefits of registering and then leave the decision up to them.

8. Simplify your web site
    This is not to be confused with simplifying the writing. Present your visitors with a limited number of choices. Too many choices just confuse and frustrate people. Faced with confusion people tend to do nothing, which means that they bounce, off your site.

9. Break copy into smaller chunks
    Most visitors scan a website instead of reading. We scan web copy to make sure the material is relevant before we commit to reading every word. If the only choice is to read a long block of text or leave, many visitors will leave. Bulleted lists, numbered lists and paragraphs limited to three or four lines are more in tune with how your visitors actually read website copy.

10. Give them a Reason to Stick Around
    Your visitors make a decision to stay or leave your website very quickly (1-2 seconds is about the norm). Visitors are constantly asking themselves “what’s in it for me?” The quicker you demonstrate the value and benefit you are providing for your visitors the more likely they are to stick around.

I hope this helps!

Kindly,

Shelby

Optimizing your website for conversion isn't expensive. Leaving money on the table is.

sasanchez, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  13. Alexandros1

Alexandros1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I removed the time stamp from my single blog posts. I left them visible on the home page because I want new visitors to see how often the site is updated, but for individual posts they’ve been removed.

Alexandros1, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  14. stacyz

stacyz Peon

Best Answers:
    I had a website with a bounce rate of 89% and then I made my own blog and directed visitors to the site and now the bounce rate is only 14%.
    So, from my experience, when people visit your blog and learn about you and then go to your website, they are more likely to browse the website.

stacyz, Aug 1, 2010 IP
  15. CJ.Online

CJ.Online Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about the bounce rate so much if I were you. Trying to lower it could actually lower your sales. Sometimes, a high bounce rate is a good thing because that could mean people are using your links once they're on your page.

CJ.Online, Aug 1, 2010 IP