1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The return of Slavery

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Kraven2, Jun 12, 2010.

1. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

YMC

For the life of me I can not figure out why people come into this thread bashing me. It makes me feel like I am becoming a target and for what? I have not a clue why you or anyone else feels that they have the right or a need to bash me. Did I demand a certain rate from you? NO! I did mention that my writing is worth more than a penny a word. If you do not feel the same about yours then that is your business. I just know that if it takes me 2 hours to write a good quality 500 word article why would anyone who spend that much time on one article want to get paid $5. I am not sure what you consider professional rates, but I am not there yet nor do I claim to be. At the same time I am working toward that stage in my career.

gvannorman, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  2. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Somehow, I knew you would miss the entire point of my post. Being a professional is about more than rates alone. It's about how you come across to potential customers.

The other poster made an excellent point. Why do so many here not realize that by making error-riddled posts they are undermining their own credibility as a writer? He chose to identify a few members to make his point. I doubt that there's any member here who is 100% grammar perfect in every post. However, anyone plying their trade as a writer should at least try be as correct as possible and not make obvious spelling and grammar mistakes.

My comments were not to "bash you" but explain how your reply only further undermined your ability to command higher rates and better projects. You should never forget that the customer you've always dreamed of could be reading your posts here. Perhaps I could have sent you a PM but there are others here who need to hear that advice as well.

YMC, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  3. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Totally false on this one. Why do I, who rarely writes anymore, get writing requests? It is the mark of a professional. A professional does not have to prove wording on a post. They must convince a prospective client that their knowledge of writing skills is far beyond ordinary.

If I wanted a new professional client, I could find one at will. That is what is true article marketing. The ability to express a need exists and then not only overfill it, but receive additional requests later from the client.

The person stagnating, worried about an incorrect word in a posting. is hurting. This is a result of sideliners making up for their own inabilities with criticism. If you do not like the way a forum works then simply do not participate.

Nor are you mightier, as among them are the future, extremely top writers. Want to pick on someone, do it on me. Leave those wanting to express and improve alone.

dyadvisor, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  4. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Plus Blue Star, you deserve an additional one. A writer of quality will use there is, and not there's. So YMC, practice what you preach.

dyadvisor, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  5. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry dyadvisor, not true. 'There's' is perfectly acceptable. It actually depends on the occasion but in a relaxed conversational piece of writing such as a forum it in fact should be 'There's'.

j3rr3my8, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  6. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    There are many things that become perfectly acceptable in the more relaxed forum atmosphere.

You can correct me if I am wrong about this.

7. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That same forum you had comments on sentence structures and the likes, earlier? Now which is it; do you want formal writing in here or not? You can't have it both ways.

Kraven2, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  8. j3rr3my8

j3rr3my8 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I want it informal and well written! It is possible to combine the two you know! I was less talking about poorly constructed sentences and more about sentences that don't even make sense. And, yet again, I am only reacting to Dyadvisor's need to criticise others which if you remember is why I got on his back in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I can see that you are all very good in your manipulation of the internet and there is a place for that ,and I can also see, Kraven, that you can write. My problem lies with people who cannot and yet still feel hard done by when they don't get as much money as they want.

I also don't feel like I am picking on anyone, nor jabbing at random either. Is this not a forum that encourages discussion? I have never, ever had a go at anyone on this site unprovoked in some way. I maybe shouldn't have had a dig at you gvannorman, but I was doing it to highlight a point that if you want to improve, you should maybe think a bit less about what a strange wizard can teach you about keywords and google placement, and more about making sure your actual WRITING is up to scratch. Of course understanding the way that search engines work is important, but lets please not lose sight of the importance of well written, interesting copy.

Oh and if you want me to proof read your website in your footer, you can think again! But you should take a look at it because it is not a good promotional tool for you. Correct me if I am wrong on this but don't bother correcting any spelling mistakes cos I'm not counting!!

j3rr3my8, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  9. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    lol. you see i dont go correcting other people because that is not what this thread was about. it was first put in here because there is a majority of writers here who deserve more than a penny a word. As for you proofreading my site, I just threw that out there because I felt as if you were doing that anyways. You were taking a jab at me, which I felt was unwarranted. Maybe you did not feel the same way. Maybe you feel that you had to hit at me because of my connection to dyadvisor. Not sure nor do I really care. People like you and YMC really don't matter to me. I have clients that come from other walks of life besides DP. Yes, I do come here looking for work. I try to fill in as much as my day as I can. At the same time, I have turned down clients because they don't want to pay what I want. Now does that make me a bad person, nope. What it does make me is a businessman.

Let me ask you one question. How much do you charge per word, per hour or even per project? I am asking because you claim that you make enough money from your writing. So, that goes back to saying that you have to be up there in the rates. Lets see how much you charge.

10. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes, there´s a method whereby you can have it both ways. :)

Nope, I dont think you are either. I feel like this is one of those "afterglow" threads. This has a become a "has-been" thread where nothing really happened, ( nothing got changed ) but people still put in their efforts towards one another. Here I am writing in it... :eek: ...yet again.

To each his own, and to all a good night...

Blue Star Ent., Jul 27, 2010 IP
  11. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure if you can compare the two. Slaves often never had a choice. Writers on the other hand choose to do a writing job of their own free will. Nobody's forcing them to take up a job which they think doesn't compensate them fairly. Don't you think there are other writers out there who would want to get their hands on some sort of business, even if it is a $0.40/100 job instead of losing out to better content writers at higher rates?

travelguides, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  12. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    There are writers out there that are willing to do these low paying gigs. I am not sure why, but they are there. I believe that the purpose of this thread is to educate these writers and let them be aware that they can make more if they want to. Also, educating buyers that they are getting what they pay for is a priority. Does any one of the buyers actually know what a good SEO article can do for them.

gvannorman, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  13. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Writing by itself takes no formal training. Likewise, there is no educational level you must achieve before setting up a website for profit. It is when these two meet, that worlds of fantasy collide. In the real word, reality, quality, and learning rule. Those living in a fantasy world cannot be saved, and are starting to be swept away. This post is intended as a wake up call for those on both sides, tittering between fantasy and reality. (yes, the word "tittering" is not an error, but accurate expression)

dyadvisor, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  14. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    slaves are about to get dumped in favor of machines.

so pretty soon they are going to try and 'raise their game'. Looks like you'll be getting your 'minimum wage' after all! :)

contentboss, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  15. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    When machines start to take over the low end of DP true quality writers will start to emerge from the rubble. Those that survive are going to be able to demand what they want to get paid.

16. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Well, it depends on how good those machines are. This depends on the knowledge and creativity of the designer. This depends on how well they know what a search engine wants, in relation to what a reader wants. ... I wont go on, thankfully. :)

But if a machine is given some artificial intelligience, it will eventually figure things out. That is the scary part. It comes down to who has the better math formula, and if a machine can make a better one than a human. At the moment, it appears to be even, but only with a few special humans.

What a long way to say... human writers are going to have to fight for their livelihood soon. It is possible that those that survive will not be able to demand anything, thanks to machines. How about having a machine for a boss ? :eek:

Wanted to add... in a way we already have a machine for a boss... the internet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    Blue Star Ent., Jul 28, 2010 IP
  17. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The Internet is a means not an end, a tool at best, an environment at worst, how does that compare to a boss?

Kraven2, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Which will be a good thing. Those with no skills will drop off in search for some other easy money gig on the side, while the true writers, those with actual skills, will finally be seen and paid for what they are worth.

Kraven2, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  19. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    The writers here that lack skills are writing because they are told they can make a quick buck. This has been and will continue to be an issue until the machines start to take the low end over.

20. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Incredible, simply incredible.

A well intentioned thread has degenerated into a pissing contest. Unfxxxing-believable. The hubris of some..

And just for the record, when talking about DY, show a little respect. In his condition, most of us wouldn't even bother typing, let alone spending hours helping people make a better life for themselves.

Unbelievable...

atreides, Jul 28, 2010 IP