1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Iran: Children beg for their Mother not to be stoned to death

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Helvetii, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I would really appreciate it if everyone could please sign this petition, as I believe it could make a difference. It is calling for the immediate release of Sakineh.

Sign the petition at freesakineh.org

Thanks.

Rebecca, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  2. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hope more people sign this petition.
    I saw more news media covered Sakineh news and also some contries calloing Iranian ambassadors.
    I think any attempt is valuable.

babak44, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  3. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I hope so too. It appears the petition is growing quickly, as of last night there were about 17,000 signatures, but tonight, there are over 33,000 signatures on the petition. From what I've read, it sounds like Iran is now forbidding Iranian journalists from reporting on this, at least, according to the Guardian.
    In another update today...

Rebecca, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  4. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah right, even handful international news agencies that still remain in Iran aren't free to report news to outside.

glad petition goes in progress also saw in CNN, BBC, Algezira and other TV news paid attention to Sakineh!! Promising I guess.

babak44, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  5. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    The petition at freesakineh.org is now over 51,000, it's wonderful how many people all over the world have gotten involved by emailing and signing this petition. I hate to ask, but it's come to my attention that there is an additional petition for Sakineh at Change.org, that has almost 17,000 signatures and climbing. I feel that Change.org is really important, as it's kind of Obama's website. So, I hope that people interested in the plight of Sakineh will be willing to sign one more petition.

Additional update: Son urges Iranian courts to stop mother's death by stoning
    [video]http://cnn.com/video/?/video/world/2010/07/06/jamjoom.iran.stoning.son.plea.cnn[/video]

Rebecca, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  6. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Not to bump this, but there is a new update on this situation, authorities have arrested Sakineh's lawyer for publicising this case. They ransacked his office, interrogated him for four hours, let him go, then decided to issue an arrest warrant for him. When they couldn't find him, the Iranian government arrested his wife and brother in law, and are holding them hostage until he surrenders.

*They are organizing on Facebook to protest for the lawyer, Mohammad Mostafaei. On the Facebook page, if you will, please click on the "I'm attending" button and then send the pre-written letter to the listed emails.*

p.s. Besides the Facebook page to send emails, there is a new petition "Release Mohammad Mostafaei's Family and Stop Pressure on them" at GoPetition. Please help by signing this! Thanks. :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
    Rebecca, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  7. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    Not really sure what I read there a while ago. But stoning someone to death? sorry for my lack of knowledge but I didn't knew that executions like that still existed? I also signed up for the petition as well, to be honest - I don't care what she did but stoning to death is something that is just inhuman.

Grimm, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  8. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Grimm, thank you for signing the petition. It's true, execution by stoning does exist, not just in Iran. While I object to stoning, for me, it's not just that in this case. Sakineh was initially deprived of legal representation, had difficulty comprehending what was being said as she speaks Turkish not Farsi, a confession of adultery was forced out of her under duress after 99 lashes, and they have no evidence. Her children have asked the world to protest, now the regime is threatening her son to be silent, arrested her lawyers family, and issued an arrest warrant for her lawyer. As far as I know Mostafaei is still missing, but is regarded highly for standing up for human rights in Iran.

There have been protests all over the world. On Mission Free Iran they list some of the protests that have taken place. Here's one in front of the Embassy of Iran in Tbilisi, Georgia...

[video=youtube;Ec8yaxsSKFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec8yaxsSKFI[/video]

Rebecca, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  9. Grimm

Grimm Peon

Best Answers:
    That is just inhuman being forced to commit something that she is still innocent until proven guilty. I'm also worried about her children and the trauma that they are currently experiencing at such age. I think this has been an eye-opener not only to Iran but to the rest of the world as well that we should really be aware of our human rights.

Grimm, Jul 26, 2010 IP
  10. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Her children are Fasride and Sajjad Mohamamadi e Ashtiani, they are young adults now, but their mother was thrown in prison 5 years ago, and I'm sure it has been and still is extremely traumatic.

In regards to Sakineh's lawyer, Mohammad Mostafaei, on the Facebook page supporting him, today they have added 54 emails to every major news outlet. If you visit page, at top you'll see over 30 emails to government representatives, with a sample letter to send. If you scroll down, right under that is 54 emails to major news outlets. The beauty is, you can just cut and paste the emails together, and send the sample letter to all the major news outlets - and it all takes under 30 seconds.

Rebecca, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  11. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    so nice to see you are active in this issue. unfortunately most of western countries less attention to humman right in Iran.

you right Sakineh speak Azeri (kind of Turkish langauge) and officialy she has to speak Farsi/Persian in the court but guess Iranian Azeri almost know Persian langauge.

babak44, Jul 27, 2010 IP
  12. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Thanks, Babak! It's nice to virtually see you again. :)

But, wondering, what do you mean by the statement that western countries pay less attention to human rights in Iran? Do you mean less attention than we have in the past, or in comparison to non-western countries? If it's the latter, actually, it seems that most of the worldwide protests and petitions in support of human rights in Iran are ALL coming from western countries. If I'm mistaken, I'm sorry, but it sure looks that way to me. I did see something interesting, not sure what to make of it. I subscribe to Irshad Manji's website and Facebook - I think you're blocked from both. But, she started a thread on her Facebook asking,

"EVERYONE: As some of u know, the wife & bro-in-law of Sakineh's lawyer have been arrested. Arrest warrant is out for the lawyer too & his office was ransacked. It's natural to respond with pure emotion, but I also want u to think *strategically*: what message(s) is the Iranian regime now sending to the court of int'l public opinion? And what can/should the Free Sakineh campaign do to counter those messages?"

Later in the thread, Irshad made an unusual comment:
    So, perhaps an "oil-exporting government" will actually speak up for the injustice in the Iranian regime, at least for Sakineh and Mostafaei? Irshad seems to be "in the know" and I'm hoping that she's right.

Rebecca, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  13. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    many people in the world work for human right and most of supporters of human right are from western countries but as you know less effective. it is not just about Iran, you can see it in Burma, Darfur, Tibet, China, Saudi Arabia and many places in the world.

western countries always said they are ready to offer a lot carrots (economic helps and concessions) if Iranian government dismiss of nuke bomb. no any talk about human right whereas they killed a lot of Iranian, tortured and raped in jail and no respect to human rights.

I appreciate your efforts and think help Iranian people as well as Sakineh and her lawyer.
    According to our media, authorities clamed that Sakineh execution wasn't just because of adultery, she had many crimes as did assistant to homicide of her husband. as I see our regimen is under heavy pressure because of Sakineh that never had before from international comunities.

babak44, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  14. cientificoloco

cientificoloco Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not surprisingly, the pbuh crowd has not shown up in this thread

cientificoloco, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  15. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes, you are right. Lots of suffering in many places of the world.

I think Obama's silence on human rights in Iran appears shameful. But, I wonder, is it part of a strategy? Did someone somewhere advise him that if he did come out with heavy rhetoric in support of protesters, it wouldn't be effective, or that the protesters would be demonized even more, and regarded as being merely puppets for America? Or, could it be that Obama's main focus is to prevent Iran from going nuclear, and anything that detracts from that, even human rights in Iran, are not as important to him at this point? I don't know, but I agree, the silence is deafening. Did you read the UN gave Iran a seat on the UN Commission on Women’s Status? What a joke! It prompted the "International Campaign to Rebuke the UN and Remove the Islamic Republic of Iran from the Commission on the Status of Women". It's as if many leaders of the world often turn a blind eye, however, ordinary citizens around the world do not.

Thanks Babak, I think you are a nice person too. :)

That's interesting, because court documents show that the only "crimes" that Sakineh have ever been convicted of, are in May 2006 of having an "illicit relationship", then later of "adultery while being married" in which Sakineh denies, and all they have is a confession made under duress during interrogation. For her conviction they had to use "knowledge of the judge" the "provision in Iranian law that allows judges to make their own subjective and possibly arbitrary determination of guilt, even in the absence of clear or conclusive evidence." So, even the conviction of adultery is a mockery of justice, not only because it's idiotic to execute an individual for having a consenting relationship, but they lacked evidence for a conviction. So, when "authorities claim that Sakineh execution wasn't just because of adultery" what they are really saying is that it's alright to execute people for things they have never been convicted of, even by their extremely low standards of proving guilt in the Iranian "justice" system.

Rebecca, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  16. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Whether Obama and other western powers interfere or not, Mullahs will go soon I think and your worry about our nuclear problem will eliminate. Iranian people no longer bear to see them in power.

I guess it's shameful for UN, this organization isn't United Nations anymore, just can see united governors there.

According to our law stoning is for married women who had sex out of marriage. Because of international demanding, authorities in Iran seems disable to so stoning Sakineh, hence have to free her but they want to kill her anyway so force her to confess homicide to execute her. I think for execution of a guy in Iran, the judges have to had clear evidences of clear confess.
    As you see they deserve to got a seat on the UN Commission on Women’s Status ! lol

I wonder why our Muslim friends less participate to discuss about this shariah law!?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
    babak44, Jul 28, 2010 IP
  17. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think you're right, the reign of the Mullahs will be probably be coming to an end. I don't know exactly how the current regime will meet it's demise, but, I do believe it will happen. At that point, hopefully all the political prisoners and all those unjustly detained we'll have their cases reevaluated. We might even get our hikers back...:)

From what I've read, it's doesn't seem to be uncommon for women to suffer beatings, torturing, and rape while imprisoned. Sakineh's ex-cellmate explained how the guards beat her severely inside Tabriz prison. Sadly, it wouldn't be surprising, if they forced a confession of homicide. I'm still hoping for a miracle...

Rebecca, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  18. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    hope all of these problems solve simultaneously! lol but guess you will see your hikers sooner.

babak44, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  19. Rebecca

Rebecca Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yes, and by tomorrow afternoon, at the very latest! :)

On a side note, I found this letter tonight in the news, by Sakineh.

Sad, I think - hopefully they will free her, and she can hug her children again.

Rebecca, Jul 30, 2010 IP
  20. babak44

babak44 Active Member

Best Answers:
    yeah so sad Rebecca. she has been torturing for long period I think. don't think they release her unfortunately.

babak44, Jul 31, 2010 IP