1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE8 vs ie7/6, what are the main differences??

Discussion in 'Bing' started by 123GoToAndPlay, May 8, 2009.

to look out for. I heard that one of my websites isn't working correctly with IE8 and i would like to know what the common pittfalls/problems are?

Anyone needed to make their website ie8 compatible????

regards

ps: sorry need to install ie8

123GoToAndPlay, May 8, 2009 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 generally follows all the proper W3C CSS standard. Something all other browsers have done for years. So anyone who made the mistake of using IE as their reference browser will be in for a rude awakening.

IE8 will not perform the same as IE7 compatibility mode. IE7 compatibility mode does not perform the same as IE7. The differences are their poor handling of CSS, as well as being far behind IE8 with other standards (which is very poor in IE8, too).

See the first link in my sig for more info.

IE7 does not perform like IE6, which is the most gawdawful abomination and a coding nightmare.

drhowarddrfine, May 8, 2009 IP
  3. freelance-seo

freelance-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    IE 8 is an handsome improvement over IE 7 and IE 6. Features like Accelerators, Framing, Debugging, Tab crash recovery are unique..

Yes there is compatibility view in IE 8 so this time designers will have to work less.

Speed has improved a lot compared to earlier versions. Even in Win 7 it runs at the same speed as FF does...

freelance-seo, May 10, 2009 IP
  4. Shazz

Shazz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Take IE6 off... IE7 is not bad, IE8 is really built closer to FF

Shazz, May 10, 2009 IP
  5. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    No, we'll have to work more. IE7 compatibility mode does not work the same as IE7 despite what anyone says. So this means you now have to test in IE8, IE7 compatible mode, IE7 and, perhaps, IE6.
    As of FF3.5, coming out next month, Firefox javascript engine will run 8x faster than IE8, as will everything else.

drhowarddrfine, May 10, 2009 IP
  6. compwizards

compwizards Peon

Best Answers:
    I dislike IE8. I was using IE8 and some sites that I was used to using and worked great, stopped working when using IE8. Plus IE8 shuts down on me a lot. I downgraded to IE7, but I don't use IE anymore anyway, I been using firefox which is more secured and more stable then any browser

compwizards, May 10, 2009 IP
  7. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Click here to see some of the major differences ;)

RadioBounce, May 10, 2009 IP
  8. sylv3rblade

sylv3rblade Peon

Best Answers:
    IE8 > IE 7 > IE6
    unless you're on a crappy computer.

sylv3rblade, May 10, 2009 IP
  9. ianccas

ianccas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi, I designed this site.they will not let me post a link so try to work around it... http:// www. mypole- ishhorseshoes. com. No with IE8 and Firefox and Google Chrome. Now if you view the site in IE7 the top nave bar is off line and the links are broken. I have been trying every thing. One thing I did notice is that if I move a link lower using css positioning the link will work???????. But they still do not line up together... Can someone please help...thanks....
    email
    ffcasucci@yahoo

ianccas, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  10. tenev

tenev Active Member

Best Answers:
    i know about difference between IE8 and IE6's CSS loading, i am not sure but i think IE6 does not support transparent PNG's..
    for alot dev's it is a real pain to make a design of big website to work perfectly on IE8,7,6 and Firefox with the same CSS.

i've been coding few days my CSS to make it work with all browsers, IE6's CSS loading is a bit different from IE8 & FF ones

tenev, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  11. jeffereeno

jeffereeno Peon

Best Answers:
    jeffereeno, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  12. kingsoflegend

kingsoflegend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    IE6 had a few annoying issues like the transparent PNG rendering or elements with the visibility: hidden property retaining their size and still taking up space on the screen but IE8 had the potential to be the worst browser in history. I downloaded the beta version when it came out and it was a nightmare. You'd load up a page and some elements would be in the wrong position, then you'd press F5 and some other elements would show up incorrectly. This would happen even with xhtml strict encoding and there was no right way to code a page because the result was always random. I still don't understand how they could release such a browser, even if it was just a beta and even though there aren't any significant bugs at the moment, you still know that the browser is held together with duct tape and glue.

kingsoflegend, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  13. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    Generally, Internet Explorer sucks :) LOL. I recommend that you use
    Google Chrome or Opera. :)

rob485, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  14. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Now, IE-8 is pseudo FF. Yes!!! Nowadays I love both. :)IE8 is far better than IE7

kittyluver, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Saying that is an insult to FF. IE8 can't hold a candle to FF.

For differences in IE8, see my first link below.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  16. btks

btks Member

Best Answers:
    I here that IE9 will be better than any other browser made by Microsoft. We'll see about that. Personally, I like FireFox and Google Chrome.

btks, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  17. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes it will but it's easy to make something better than crap. Trying to make something as good as Firefox, Safari, Chrome or Opera will take talent and effort, and Microsoft has not shown any of that since IE6 came out 10 years ago.

drhowarddrfine, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  18. jjparis

jjparis Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow! I never realized these sorts of problems related with using Internet Explorer 8! Ok, i sure don't know anything about computer programming and i have no idea what those css or png's mean. I just love going and searching on the internet. and i never thought about the differences really. can you just imagine my surprise reading this forum. i have been reading a lot of other forums but this is the first time that i have read about this topic. Now, i have to think about which internet browser should i be putting in my laptop. thank you guys for putting this thread. i learned a lot. have a nice day to all!
    later~

jjparis, Jul 23, 2010 IP
  19. travelguides

travelguides Peon

Best Answers:
    I've never liked IE. Doesn't matter what version number is being marketed by Microsoft. It's slow, lacks the creative features that most other browsers have to offer and is extremely unreliable. Having said that, it is still widely used for whatever reason and that's why designers should work to make sure their sites are compatible across the different versions of IE along with other common browsers.

travelguides, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  20. SpiritDrinks

SpiritDrinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Not sure what the true market share is, but my site visitors are only showing 58% IE, 28% FF and 9% Chrome. It's an obvious trend that IE is losing market share. It may be MS entire philosophy of bells and whistles, and shiny things, to try to overcome their faults.

SpiritDrinks, Jul 31, 2010 IP