1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How INDIAN Writers Can Earn Big Bucks?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Fem, Jul 5, 2010.

1. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    atreides, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  2. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's his only line :D

Kraven2, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  3. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch! It was not `bypass', but `biopsy surgery' (the term is incorrect). A small amount of flesh is cut off from a tumor, under local anesthesia, and then examined to confirm whether it is benign or malign.

parsibagan, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  4. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    with a little help from an article spinner for the slight variation, i believe

atreides, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  5. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes and this was clarified several pages ago. I also apologized for the insensitive and uninformed remarks.
    Thanks for further clarification :D

WebBuddy, Jul 15, 2010 IP
  6. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    To ensure uniqueness no doubt :) My replies pass Crappyscape :D

Kraven2, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  7. StanleyGrows

StanleyGrows Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you're right. It's the mindset that you sell your soul for half the price is really dragging everything down. But I think that this happens not only to Indian writers but everyone as well.

StanleyGrows, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Well if you have the right mindset that cheap prices hurt the reputation of everyone, do it one further. Read my recent blog on the main blog section. Then take a second to leave a response. That way your words and opinion express more feeling there. If the amounts paid at the bottom raise, it will help others get paid a little bit closer to what they are worth.

dyadvisor, Jul 16, 2010 IP
  9. freelancer1980

freelancer1980 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi members,

I am not a professional writer, I have a day job that decently sustains me, but I am passionate about writing. I am working on my book of short stories as of now.

Recently I wrote some content for a lady in the US, just because it was my area of interest. I had a paypal account and she transferred $5 into that! I did not become rich, but was happy nonetheless, because I never asked for any payment.

I did some research and got intrigued by the world of freelance writing, the reason I joined this forum. I guess this thread provided some good knowledge with great entertainment value as well. :)

I have some questions if the gurus don't mind:-

1) Is it really possible to earn a living only out of freelance writing?

2) If yes then what percentage of writers are actually able to do that? I mean what are the mean and median monthly earnings?(if there is any data available)

3) Do people get to write on topics they really love writing on?

4) How much time and effort is required for earning a decent sum?(assuming one has good written English skills)

I would appreciate if I am given a chance to write couple of articles for some experienced member(s) in this forum and get some feedback on the quality of my writing and how much I am worth, in their opinion. I love writing on sports, films, social issues, religion, global business, music, politics, education, technology and entertainment among other things.

I guess experienced writers can help wannabe freelancers in this way.

PS:- I am INDIAN, if that is important.

freelancer1980, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  10. True North

True North Peon

Best Answers:
    These are honest and good questions. Let me share my thoughts:

Q1. The first thing you must consider is the quality of your writing. Prices go up with quality. Also considering your location, being paid in US dollars is like being paid twice or thrice as you will be paid in your country for the same article. I know that, because I am a Filipino writer and our countries' economic situation is almost on the same level.

Q2. A good writer can earn $1,000/month or more. I am now earning $1,200/month on the average, and I started only last May. Sadly, there are some people here who settle for less.

Q3. Yes. You have the option to turn down offers, if you do not want to write on the given topic. You can choose only offers on topics that you "love". However, this will mean limited income. Maybe with a broader area of subjects, you can write on the topics that you love and earn a decent amount of money.

Q4. You need to go full time if you want to earn the amount I mentioned in number 2. However, if you want to keep your job and do freelance writing during your free time, it is still your decision. With your steady income (from your work), and some dollars on the side (from freelance writing), I think you can be in a better economic situation than other Indians.

I hope this helps.

True North, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  11. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    I would just like to put this out there, because i'm pretty sure no-one has mentioned this in the last 6 pages....

READ.

To be a good writer, you first have to be a good reader.

If you want to write stories, read really good stories. If you want to write articles, find really well written articles and read them. ETC

NPSF3000, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  12. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Yes you can easily earn a living with freelance writing. many people do it and they are quite successful. Even in the US
    2. I can not speak for other writers. Not knowing which ones on here are full time or not. I know that I have been a full time writer for just about 2 years. I was averaging $1000 a month. Recently I started working on tripling that amount with in the next 3 months. So I am looking to make around $3000 monthly in 3 months. Thats my goal.
    3. Its your business you can write on anything you want.
    4. This really depends on a bunch of factors. Not much time is needed if the research is done or you know the subject. But I would say approx 2 hours per 500 word article. Now you mentioned that you got paid $5 for the one article that you did write. I think that you need to visit the Quality Writers Forum and have a look around. There you will be given the chance to learn how to write for the Search Engines. The method that you learn will increase your value tremendously.

Wrong answer. You can read an article and still not be able to write one that ranks in Google. You could read 100 articles and not rank in Google. It takes the knowledge of the keywords, powerwords and synonyms of each to get the article to the level that it needs to be and make it of a value for the buyer.

gvannorman, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  13. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Not an entirely correct assumption, mate.
    It may well be true for me, as I have been reading two books a week since I was ten as well as a minimum of two papers a day for the past ten years.

However, I know of one bloody writer, who is so freakingly talented that you just can't help but hate him:D, who hardly ever reads anything and yet consistently produce unbelievably fantastic writing with just a snap of the finger - and I'm certain he is not the only one.

atreides, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  14. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    Mate, first of all, there are no gurus here. Well, except for one. :)D)

To answer your question,
    (i) Yes it is possible. I quit my IT job last year (where I was earning a 6 figure income) to pursue my writing ambition. I was worried initially when my funds dried up, but since I started freelancing 6 months ago, I've consistently made a third of what I used to from about 6 hours of work daily. The key is to undersell yourself and to find proper clients, and not to get trapped in the penny writing cycle.

(ii) No median data is available here dude. This is basically an unregulated industry, hence there are no reliable reporting involved. And tax free too! (well, kinda:D. Shhh)

(iii) Depends. Although I believe with perseverance and grit, yes, you can write in your area of interest. Until today. I still send introduction letters to targetted publishers (both online and off) that are covering subjects close to my heart. This is the primary method I utilize in getting work.

(iv) Your pace and your clientele determines that.

(v) Being Indian matters to some client, though not all. However, if you're capable, then any initial prejudice will quickly be set aside

(vi) "I would appreciate if I am given a chance to write couple of articles for some experienced member(s) in this forum and get some feedback on the quality of my writing and how much I am worth, in their opinion"
    Now don't be giving away any free samples, okay. You're effort deserves recognition. If you really want to do this, get it uploaded in a directory and just put up the link here. Alternatively, click my sig below (It's a writing community designed to help budding writers and there are writing gurus there)

Cheers

15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Freelancer 1980 I can make more money and get more per article than any one here.

I leave the challenge always open where the loser pays to a charity food bank.
    No one has been foolish enough to challenge me.

I have made over $40,000 monthly and have the wealth to back it up. Now with my health differently, I no longer need to earn.

Instead currently I am helping 10 people including some from India. Not just how to write better, but become a professional writer. Many will tell you how quickly at least to double their income.

If are are sincerely interest and determined I will be conducting an online class, where you go at you own speed. Your cost nothing, this is free, the real thing.
    Just simply inquire, and you can be on your path upward,. Learn and earn.

dyadvisor, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  16. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    the guru has arrived...

17. NPSF3000

NPSF3000 Peon

Best Answers:
    So your both saying, that for an Indian (who probably has English as a second language) and is not earning much money to read his genre in order to gain a greater knowledge of vocabulary, clarity, fluency, grammatical style etc. is wasting his time?

NPSF3000, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  18. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you know I make no such conclusion, implied or otherwise, and I find it odd for you to insinuate it so.

atreides, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  19. rob485

rob485 Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong. But I think they (indians) want it that way as
    of the moment. Well, not only them but all of us as starters. They
    can raise up their talent fees if they believe someone will hire them
    with those kind of fees.

Have a great day! :)

rob485, Jul 18, 2010 IP
  20. parsibagan

parsibagan Active Member