1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Optimal Keyword Density in Article (%)?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by ColorWP.com, Jul 8, 2010.

Hello.

I was wondering what would the optimal Keyword Density percentage be for a 500-600 word article? Currently, I try to keep my 3 word phrases appear no more than 4 times in the article which gives me about 0.95-0.97% keyword density.

How high can you go before search engines become suspicious?

ColorWP.com, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  2. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    According to EZA(which is supposedly a standard article directory) 2% is just fine. Human eyes detect spammy content easier than search engines.

Live2Write, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  3. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That 2% is the rate for EZA though.When working Google even 5%(but not more then that) will work just fine. Just write it as natural as possible.

Over 5% things become dicey.

Kraven2, Jul 8, 2010 IP
    www.Andro.ws likes this.
  4. mohsinkhan

mohsinkhan Peon

Best Answers:
    less then 6% not more than

mohsinkhan, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  5. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    What? 6%? Where on earth do you belong to? Your content will go into trash bin at that rate of keywords!

Live2Write, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  6. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe, MAYBE 1%, mrgee.

The main section of your page, which is the top, should have just a couple of the keywords, with just a couple of more near the end.

That's it.

In other words, it should be natural.

What matters the most is getting backlinks from decent-ranking sites. That is what will take care of you in the end.

Perry Rose, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  7. guniwan

guniwan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    According to EZA, we only could add same keyword phrase per 100 words, so for 500 words, it should be 5 times. try to place it at the very beginning and very end of the article. hope it could help

guniwan, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  8. Fastest Writers

Fastest Writers Peon

Best Answers:
    We would suggest something between 1.5-2%, for that is what the rate which we are often requested to write at. Need not say, the results were also fine.

Fastest Writers, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  9. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keyword density is a touch and go subject to say the very least. But, you should use your main keywords, synonyms of your keywords and power words. I would say try for 2.5% to 3%. You should be fine around there. Remember that if you go too high and want to submit to EZA they will reject it if your kyd is over 2%.

gvannorman, Jul 8, 2010 IP
    Live2Write likes this.
  10. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    When EZA is involved you also may have a discussion on your hands on what is a keyword or not :D

Kraven2, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  11. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Good point, any word in the article that is over used can cause them to reject you article. This is where a thesaurus can come in handy.

gvannorman, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  12. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    OKAY: HERE IS THE RUNDOWN FOR A 500 WORD ARTICLE, OR WORDS ON A WEBSITE PAGE.

Bing-Microsoft Up to 4.0/100
    Yahoo one keyword up to 5.0/100
    EzineArticles 5 times, plus once in bio box
    Google 10 times 2.0
    Most other article directories like ArticleBase 10 times (proven couple days ago)
    Use of synonyms, close meanings, and other forms of the keyword up to 5 each
    Use of PowerWords (more, top, unique, special) up to 7 times each

Keywords of 3 to 5 should be used in the first 70 character spaces of the title
    Keywords show appear in the first 164 character spaces of the content
    Check it on a Google listing to verify --this may vary, so as to not cut a word in half

Keyword spamming is done by people not Familiar with SEO, because they do not use of keyword extensions or synonyms. Or those that do not observe what I have printed above.

------these are the facts, if you want to listen to the hamburger writer PR go ahead--------

dyadvisor, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  13. MrFrench

MrFrench Peon

Best Answers:
    Main keyword 1-2 times per 100 words.

MrFrench, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  14. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    much as it pains me to agree with the rosy pear, he's right. Keep it natural.

Aiming for a specific percentage is just silly, as common sense should tell you, because it varies from engine to engine, and from time to time. Obviously. The thing to bear in mind is that the engines are constantly trying to get to the stage where their automated processes replicate human viewers, so the more natural it is, the more likely it is to fit that brief.

contentboss, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW, I disagree major league on this one. The first two pages of Google: natural writer come up blank. Why because it is a made up term by writers to make their work sound better. Every last piece of writing not copied is not natural. It is just a piece of writing. Do you say, “I will buy this car because it is more natural than the other one?”

Time to grow up and face the facts. The purpose of the article is to provide informative information to an emotion, discuss the emotion, possible way one of the eight emotions can be improved. During this the emotion interest of the readers must be stimulated to drive them to you clients website.

Where the hell, did the word natural come up. There are natural fools, natural pests, but no natural writers. Now lets add it the capability of a handful of writers on DP also able to do the above and get their article in #1 or #2 positions out of 300,000 to 5,000,000 lists. The article reads just as smooth thanks to researching synonyms, or keyword extensions, and close meanings.

It is only logical that many of the top blogs want articles with the power to draw customers. Are they going to spend hours at article directories? Hell no. The go to Google, type in their terms and pick the first article that will draw people. So if a person has developed the skills to write an article that meets all the qualifications and end up in the top three positions it is professional writing.
    Challenge me if you want on this fact, a full 60% of internet searches take one of the first 3 listings, even if there are millions.

So lets quit making up terms like natural. I and at least 4 other writers here have the talent to do both. Others become defensive, with unfounded comments like it is not natural. Just because some can do it and prove it, most others live in a world on denial. Just like that unnecessary comment about 1 to 2%, after I already gave the facts, not opinions. I believe that is what the OP wanted. Not a discussion about fairy land natural, which is as useless as the constant use here about Copyscape as a measure of quality.

Where does it state the words natural and Copyspace, written by a person with enough talent to write an effective piece of writing and get a top rating? -----------enough of this crap---------------

Opinions are great, but do not refer to things that have absolutely no meaning to the post. Once the facts have been given either stop guessing or prove them wrong. No wonder DP is going down hill. People do not want to learn. They would rather be snipers, as they have nothing to teach.----------

16. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see why one has to bite the other, I always write as natural as possible, yet correct choice of words, puts in the SEO phrases as well. Humans search on those phrases so its not like those phrases will look bad in an article?

IMO it is perfectly doable to have both and still come up with a density of approximately 5%

Kraven2, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  17. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    SEOmoz beginner guide line says that you can rank for a keyword without even mentioning it in your page. (by getting anchored backlinks with that keyword). So I think it's not much important. Write naturally.

omarabid, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Why slave away getting back links, when one article can gain the same? SEOmoz beginner guide is a beginners guide for a reason. Also I doubt they openly will disclose every trick on the book either.

Kraven2, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  19. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you now confused, mrgee? :p

The keywords tell spiders what the page is about; backlinks tell the spiders how popular the page is, which Google wants on their pages.

You do NOT need a splattering of keywords. The spiders get it.

Think of it as having a brick and mortar store. Your storefront sign is your keyword. People going into your store are your backlinks. The more people, backlinks, that come in, the more popular your store becomes. You move up in rank, popularity, from all the other stores in the area.

Just remember to never, ever push the envelope when it comes to this. Because, you just never know if it'll come back to bite you in the ass.

Keep it natural and simple.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
    Perry Rose, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  20. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Again all drool, and no meaning.

For once Perry show one article, and under what search term, where it ended up in a top ten Google ranking where 93% of the action is. Other articles just leech off of others. As far as backlinks, you said before that there was no such thing as "link juice". and the importance of relevancy, was something I made up.

All beer talk, and no proof.

Plus learn the vocabulary, the word is genuine, not natural. There is no such thing as writing natural, however genuine writing is a correct statement.