1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do NOT go with Hostgator.com

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by ilook, Jun 21, 2010.

1. Ox2009

Ox2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Why HostGator become WORST by auto inserting the link? They even auto enable the WP Cache Plug-in .

As I paying customer, I've the right WHAT link or Plug-in to put/activate!

Why HostGator try to be nasty by implementing such cheap "BH" technique?

Ox2009, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  2. cpt

cpt Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey guys don`t be mad on this , you can simply go to plugins deactivate/delete it and the link is gone.

Anyway is not a good move from them.. who knows what else they add on your wordpress installation when you use Fantastico.

cpt, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  3. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe you are right. That is not good position at all to believe in them asa in only one web hosting company here

~ServerPoint~, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  4. timtim

timtim Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree they schould not do this, but i assume they do it only if you use the cPanel features to install wordpress. I am with hostgator now for about 2,5 years and never got a problem with their service. I knew the tricks and since i find out is the cPanel they let you use for free, they find the right in them self to automatically install their small "promo-plugin". What i do is, i simply dont use the cPanel, just install wordpress manually via FTP ...not to forget to mention, FTP installation is also the most secure one and will avoid such stupid gator-jokes :)

timtim, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  5. IG2010

IG2010 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have moved away from them since I have a very hard time when renewing one of my domain name (besthotweb .com) this domain was well indesed and I have only worked 30 minutes on webistes thus driving incrase adsense revenues. when it cames to renew the domain I have never been able to log into my account to renew it, I have sent dozens of support ticket and everytime they were saying that I was doing something wrong, yeah right I have websites since 2001, I definitly know how to log into an account. They are idiots

IG2010, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  6. maximumprofit

maximumprofit Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure about you, i've been hosting with hostgator for more than 1 year now, and so far the host is pretty good. Just want to share my thoughts

maximumprofit, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  7. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Update:

Just installed a new domain and the situation isn't changed at all.
    I got a PM from JoshLoe who claims to be an customer care manager from Hostgator with his apologizes and that it has been changed (got that PM yesterday) but it is NOT changed at ALL!

ilook, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  8. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think they are going to change it. They may make it more worse.

I also got PM from JoshLoe asking me to send him mail if I have any question.
    why should I send him mail for a open forum question. I will preferred posting here.

aap, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've got a client who has just moved OpenX and some other apps from a local server to hostgator and he is blown away by the speed even though the servers are now half a world away. OpenX was crashing the expensive local server so he's saving money and getting a better deal.

As for fantastico, the scripts are usually out of date so I'd never consider using it. Easier just to install yourself than fuss about checking versions and problems etc.

sarahk, Jun 30, 2010 IP
  10. ilook

ilook Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're right, it does not install the latest Wordpress version.
    When i install Wordpress via Fantastico i have to update Wordpress immediately from the adminpanel.

As for the site speed, your cliënt may have purchased a VPS.
    I use their Baby Plan but for a long time already it's very slow.
    (note: i have a 10Mb/2Mb internet connection so it really can not be that)

ilook, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  11. judithfauxier

judithfauxier Peon

Best Answers:
    just upload wordpress file from wordpress.org with filezilla

judithfauxier, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  12. hiteshb

hiteshb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I might be leaving the hostgator with such tricks happening although have no issue till now.

hiteshb, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  13. tronicscribe

tronicscribe Peon

Best Answers:
    I recently got a hostgator account for reselling, but I have my own site there as well. I installed wordpress manually as I always do, so I don't have this problem. but it really makes me think about changing hosts, which I would hate to do. I spent forever researching hosts and finally chose hostgator. You also mentioned the speed of your site is poor. I'll have to keep an eye on this. I thought since they use The Planet, the servers and speeds would be great.

tronicscribe, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  14. raybal5

raybal5 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a number of WP blogs on different Hostgator accounts and none of them are tagged like yours.

raybal5, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  15. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    We stopped being resellers for hostgator and went independant with out own servers because of the crap they pulled on us 5 years ago.

lcwadminbj, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  16. jamiesbeck

jamiesbeck Peon

Best Answers:
    wow, i love hostgator. this is weird.
    i have used them for a year and a half now. i use them to install wordpress several times a month actually and have NEVER seen this happen one time.

the 404 i believe for sure. you should see the stuff bluehost does!! ouch.

jamiesbeck, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  17. techxinsider

techxinsider Peon

Best Answers:
    I've contacted a few of the biggest shared hosting services, and what killed it for me were their responses to my numerous questions, especially the we need to charge a fee to install x y z or fix a particular issue. HostGator was one of them. But this stunt, hmm...really not cool.

techxinsider, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  18. Alpha-Wire

Alpha-Wire Peon

Best Answers:
    Why are people acting like this is the end of the world? Seriously? I can bet that HostGator are not the first hosting company to do this and certainly will not be the last. If you do not like it, SIMPLY MOVE ON! Instead of being lazy and complaining about this and that, go install it yourself, seriously. I'm fed up with the complete ignorance on this thread, it is so stupid.

If any normal person saw that advertising in the footer, they would just think they're hosted with HostGator. Sure 1 in 25 might click it and consider buying, but the fact is HostGator is already well known so what does it matter.

Oh they did it without us knowing!
    I'm sure 99% of the people here never read the T.O.S and I bet that somewhere they say we have the right to do so and so.

As I stated before, this is not the first and last time a hosting company has done this, so I think everyone just needs to be a little more mature about the situation and grow up.

Alpha-Wire, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  19. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, we need to be little more mature and start avoiding such host. There are plenty of better hosting companies, we should start considering them.

aap, Jul 8, 2010 IP
  20. MEMORIES89

MEMORIES89 Peon

Best Answers:
    that totally sucks, did any one find same problem ?

MEMORIES89, Jul 9, 2010 IP