1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Why DMOZ did not accept my site

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by himanshu88, Jul 7, 2010.

i submitted my site to DMOZ
    y did it not accept it
    it still says not listed in tools where we check DMOZ listing
    pls tell did i do wrong submission

himanshu88, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  2. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you did something wrong.

Once you submit, promote your site by other methods and simply forget the ODP all together. Some editors do not bother with the suggestion pool, others only list their affiliated sites, some categories have no active editors (and by active I am including the supposed hundreds that have access, remember, they are still not active in THAT category).

There are two main rules when submitting to the ODP (and original content is NOT one of them based on many of their listings). The two rules are...

1) SUBMIT & FORGET
    2) FORGET 2 SUBMIT

Qryztufre, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  3. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Hey man no worries, I listed my websites on DMOZ like a year ago and still not been accepted. Just follow Qryztufre's advice and just forget about it =] Maybe one day you will get accepted.

RadioBounce, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you are talking about the site in your profile .... its not listable! Not even close to having enough content of value.

Agent000, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  5. fajarwn

fajarwn Peon

Best Answers:
    There's some site i've submit n never being acepted...lol

fajarwn, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  6. brutefeed

brutefeed Guest

Best Answers:
    I've never had a site submitted to DMOZ. One was even for a Doctor who wrote white papers. DMOZ sucks

brutefeed, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  7. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    I also almost forget that i ever submitted my blog lol..

KimiGermany, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  8. biswarup

biswarup Peon

Best Answers:
    how long should I wait for dmoz listing after submission I have submitted 3 and 1/2 months back still not accepted

biswarup, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  9. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    It takes time, just be patient.

inspiroHost, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  10. biswarup

biswarup Peon

Best Answers:
    can you tell me the approximate time frame I need to wait after submission to dmoz for listing

11. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Officially the word is "it may take several weeks or more" and no other answer is better then that save maybe "between a few minutes and never"

Qryztufre, Jul 11, 2010 IP
  12. biswarup

biswarup Peon

Best Answers:
    what do you suggest shall I submit once more to dmoz

13. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    NO! If you submit more then once you are a no good dirty spammer trying to scam your way into the directory! Your site will be banned and any related sites they feel you own will likewise be removed and you will forever be flagged as such!

Seriously, thats what they say...

Submit & Forget!

Its as simple as that!

14. biswarup

biswarup Peon

Best Answers:
    I think I made a mistake . I have submitted 2 times to 2 different categories within 15 days and now its almost 4 months I am still waiting. I want to know would it considered as a serious offense.

15. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    According to the guidelines anything more then once COULD be taken as spam. Though, in reality, they just are REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY slow. They are will not discuss your submission with you. You now just have to wait. If it's still not there in 5 years, take heart, they don't get to a lot of sites in that time.

Seriously the link is NOT as important as it once once, you have done your part (twice, in two categories, lol) so now just forget about it and promote your sites at other places that actually care about their end users (and I'm not talking webmasters).

16. smalllee

smalllee Peon

Best Answers:
    I have the same issue too.

smalllee, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  17. signify_1

signify_1 Peon

Best Answers:
    If a website can belong in 2 categories which is absolutely possible then there is no reason why you can't list it twice in 2 different categories only if you are submitting to the correct categories. For the poster above biswarup the answer is No it's not that serious an offence to submit it twice and you won't get penalized simply for that, you become a spammer when you submit to categories every few weeks which people do.

signify_1, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Best Answers:

While I personally can not disagree, the rules do say otherwise.... and when I've publicly agreed with you in the past editors have followed up by pointing to the guidelines.

*shrug*

But do keep in mind, if an editor feels that a site is suitable for multiple categories they can and often do add them to those additional categories. Topix is a GREAT example, it has just under TWENTY THOUSAND deeplinks full of syndicated content ;)

Qryztufre, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  19. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So why do our Suggestion Guidelines require that you suggest your website to the one best category?

There's only one exception to this.
    - If a website has Regional significance such as a walk in store, it can be suggested to it's locality category (Locality, not country or county).
    - If it has topical significance, it can also be suggested to the lowest level Topical category that encompasses all of its subject matter.

Anything beyond that is spamming - which we treat the same way that you treat spam.

jimnoble, Jul 12, 2010 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Why? If it fits it should be submittable. Most people that submit to multiple categories are likely not reading the guidelines, but following the examples of what editors themselves have done. Why is there a double standard between editor & submitter when both are supposedly following the SAME guidelines? How is it you can say that submitting to multiple categories is SPAM and that you treat it the same as we do, when sites like Topixs have 20k listings (all of which break multiple other guidelines as well)?

I'm not trolling here, as this is a VERY serious question... as it most certainly applies to this thread's current line of questioning (Multiple submissions to different categories).

Qryztufre, Jul 12, 2010 IP