1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How INDIAN Writers Can Earn Big Bucks?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Fem, Jul 5, 2010.

1. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately PR is right with this. You are not going to make more money just by charging more. You have to improve your writing abilities. If your work is not up to par then you are stuck making what you are making. Mainly because your quality is not worth more.

gvannorman, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  2. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    @True North - You have got a great start, for your first post itself gives an idea of what you are going to do here! Keep posting.

@Shakingspear - Thanks to you too, for the contribution is really valuable.

WOW - Now, I'm damn sure that INDIAN writers, at least a few of them, are going to benefit from these threads.

Fem, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  3. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I feel really insulted the way the phrase "Indian writers" is being thrown around nowadays.

@Fem, excuse me, but you won't go far with such a writing style - my point here being, who would want to pay higher rates for substandard work?

@True North, hiring writers is one thing but before doing that one should have the understanding of web content and good, if not great, writing skills. You will see so many leechers here who don't know English to begin with , yet they hire "teams" and then offer this sub-standard work to clients. What more than $5-$7 can they expect ?? This is clearly not the case with you, so please don't get offended. Of late everybody on this forum seems to be flying off the handle for no reason whatsoever. Reminds me of my kindergarten days. LOL

Honestly, when you are working in a global environment, location doesn't have anything to do with it. Most clients don't even ask me that . If you people do think that being an Indian/Asian affects your prospects you can create a portfolio where you do not mention your location explicitly and then see how that pans out. Of course, if your samples/ introduction scream "English is not my first language", you can't blame the client for not choosing you to spoil his/her site's content.

Go create a good portfolio. Build up reputation on sites and forums (if you have nowhere better to look for jobs). Participate in threads and discussions with a positive attitude. Be innovative and experiment with different niches and writing forms (articles for sites, directories, copywriting, PRs etc...)

Learn some more of the lovely language . Period.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
    WebBuddy, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  4. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Confused,

You are correct. The term Indian Writer probably is being misused too much these days. Especially on this forum. I have to agree that if regardless of where you are from if you can write English then you can write English. There are many Indian writers on here that can write very well. That is not an issue. But, I do believe that if you want to write and make a decent amount of money from this profession then you need to learn how to write English. There are way too many writers who can not. Even from the the US.

gvannorman, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  5. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Indian Writer,

When I hire a writer, its not based on which country they are from, its based on how well they can write.

If you yourself admit that your use of English is not fluent, you have a larger hurdle to climb before thinking about Big Bucks. Your competition is already one step ahead of you and therefore you need to counter this somehow.

The situation with the low rates is because alot of writers choose to counter this by offering a lower price. If you want to earn a higher rate, consider improving your English and Writing Skills first.

For writers that think that your English is already on par or better than fluent writers, then if you are dedicated and provide the hard work to build up your client base at your rates, I'm sure it will work out.

xenyo, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  6. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    Its like this in India- kids take the schooling in English from I say pre-school age, and as they grow their writing skills get polished, and at least 50% of them acquire almost near-native writing skills. But when it came to their speaking, their English is far from native-sounding, call it Indian English, although Indian English is now an accepted English dialect. It is because English is not tongued at homes.

In the world of writing, I believe there should be gradation as good writer an average writer and a crapy writer. Not British writer or US writer or Indian writer. Anyone who wishes to embark into writing will have to take the same path to become good writer/s.

And did the thread starter intend to psycholgically bully the Indian writers? Correct me if I am wrong. Because it doesn't seem to offer anything new to writers who frequent this forums. There have been so many threads floating here with hugely awesome advices coming from masters of the language here to earn big bucks from writing.

Appreciate TrueNorth (Heads up buddy, and way to start your journey at DP) Shakingspear, Gvannorman, Confused_freelancer and Xenyo for the kind words!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
    Live2Write, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  7. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Confused_freelancer

- Sorry to bother you but I have been earning $2k/month simply from writing online. The Looooooooooooong jump - One-step-to-conclusion was more than enough for me to understand that you are from INDIA. If you know or have any basic idea of the language, you can understand that INDIAN writer means a writer who belongs to INDIA [Just like INDIAN Actor, INDIAN Player etc]

I Really appreciate the way you reply all the threads in Copywriting forum -!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....Really Positive Way.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fem, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  8. True North

True North Peon

Best Answers:
    @FEM, Confused, and Live2Write - Thanks guys for encouraging remarks.

@Live2Write - I agree with what you said that writers must be evaluated not by the place he was born and raised, but by his abilities to write.

@Kraven2 and Perry - I followed some of your posts here at DP, and I instantly became one of your fans.

This is the best forum I have visited so far, because people here are more helpful and give sound advice.

True North, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  9. Fem

Fem Active Member

Best Answers:
    You are one of the greatest entries to this forum, with some very useful posts and experience sharing. While many people here add some meaningless words to increase post count, you are making some difference. I would like to remind you of the contribution which makes all forums alive and active. Thanks !

Fem, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  10. WebBuddy

Best Answers:
    I doubt if you'd be earning even that much if you were not outsourcing everything at what Kraven refers to as "slave wages". Still, $2k is not big money, so please don't "flaunt" that here.

I hate the way this forum is becoming a one-stop point for mud-slinging, so after this point I will not participate in any arguments with you.

And I know very well what you or anybody else means by an "Indian Writer" . What you are not understanding is that projecting "Indian Writers" and India this way feels like an insult. I know many Indian writers who get paid more than the average US writer. Indian does not always mean bad or cheap. This problem of not getting what they are worth is an universal problem in any open industry/market simply because of the supply/demand skew. Rise up the pyramid - narrow your base and increase your demand/rate.

If you really do care about what you're doing, you'll find ways to earn more. Be innovative. Few ideas from the great people here sparked off a new idea for me which is getting me a rate of 3-4 cent a word. I hope to be able to take it ahead sooner.

WebBuddy, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  11. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think with that statement you just proved CF's point. Also consider how much writing you had to do to reach that $2k. And I do believe from what I read in BST that you also hired writers.Are those activities included in that $2k monthly?

What CF was trying to say was that with improved writing skills you can go way beyond that amount.

Kraven2, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  12. WebBuddy

Best Answers:
    Thanks Kraven. Also what I am trying to say is the problem of the writers being underpaid is not of India , it is universal. At the cost of repeating myself, I would say that I know so many US / UK based writers who are so talented yet earn way below 1c a word.

The problem here is not of an Indian/Asian writer or a US/UK/Native writer .. nor is it only of the writer being a good writer or a crappy one. The actual problem is of the writer being ignorant of what he/she is worth AND not going all out and experiment in order to find new ways of getting more clients who would love to pay more for their writing.

@Fem : I honestly have nothing against you hiring people and outsourcing the work to them. The only thing I would like to request from you is that if you are an employer and if you are responsible for your writers/employees, you should be the one who should be able to find clients who can pay higher . Give the client something that will justify the increase in your rates (or drop the old ones and get new clients). Get a simplified SEO manual for your writers and see to it that the writers follow it while writing SEO articles or venture into new writing forms (other than article writing). But IMO most important of all , learn how and where to reach for clients who are willing to pay more.

WebBuddy, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  13. Live2Write

Live2Write Active Member

Best Answers:
    @Fem
    Your route to $2k bla bla/month
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1823076 and
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=1858255

With that kind of price offings you have come up with the noble thought of helping Indian writers here. clap clap :rolleyes:

You seem to only expose the chip on your shoulder. Who is counting on the posts here? respect your DP members who volunteered and poured in wisdom on what seemed the most insulting thread title I've ever seen on the copywriting forums.

Live2Write, Jul 6, 2010 IP
    WebBuddy likes this.
  14. WebBuddy

Best Answers:
    Thanks for showing us the proof . Rep added. Frankly I don't even care to look up such people's history who make such derogatory threads and then argue that are in turn helping somebody else or a whole community. @Fem, you are disgracing our very resourceful and educated nation in a very effective manner and I am not actually attacking you here... I just feel so sad seeing this stuff.

WebBuddy, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  15. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I do not get offended that easy, and I do believe in second chances.

I agree with you 100% that the threads you referred to are absolute crap, but I can also see her changing her tune now, and if she sincerely wants to improve on things, I certainly won't be the one to withhold any thoughts I have on the subject.

"Everybody makes mistakes", said the hedgehog, when he mounted a shoe brush by mistake :D

Kraven2, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  16. WebBuddy

Best Answers:
    yes, it's welcome if she wishes to change the way she's been working on DP but I can't see why that involves creating a thread called "How Indian Writers Can Earn Big Bucks" !!

WebBuddy, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  17. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For Fem : LINK

I was taken aback at that thread that the other poster here pointed out. Since you asked at the beginning; "...help all INDIAN writers get some better paying jobs..."

One way would be for you to offer them more money for their work. Surely your motives were to help the Indians here and not enslave them ?

Blue Star Ent., Jul 6, 2010 IP
  18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    From what I read from this thread, she intends to create some kind of how to, and is asking for input. That may actually be a good idea, because seeing Fem's past threads, if there is one thing she can do, its attracting attention, so if anyone can raise awareness she can. The fact that she without a doubt has worked with most of the writers in question(for scraps I agree), she knows how to reach them as well.

Perhaps the title is poorly chosen for a thread, but assuming sincerity it will be a good one for that how to manual.

Kraven2, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  19. Napoleon

Napoleon Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Fem is Indian.

Napoleon, Jul 6, 2010 IP
  20. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Hey Fem, if this is true, it helps me to know you are trying to help your own "countrymen". They can live much better on twenty dollars a day than someone from the USA. I will wait for your replies to say more.

Blue Star Ent., Jul 6, 2010 IP