1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The return of Slavery

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Kraven2, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Broyde

Broyde Peon

Best Answers:
    A writer just has to keep perfecting his craft. It is likely that if people keep at it they will get more comfortable and their uniqueness' will eventually shine through. And they will benefit from it.

The writer can have other marketable qualities and compete on issues apart from price.

Broyde, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  2. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    If given a chance, and that's where the current situation makes things go sour.

Kraven2, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  3. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You know I for one just started working with Dyadvisor and I am looking forward to learning as much as I can from him. For that I want to thank him.

I have not however read those two books that he included with my initial email. I will do that when I am finished writing this post.

What I do believe is that if anyone is holding you back it is yourself. If you feel that you will be unable to find higher paying jobs then your never going to find higher paying jobs. This is because you believe that you are unable to do so. I have went into the BST section and have presented my work to the buyers. Here is what I have found out from the buyers here.

Some are willing to pay 3 cents a word. More are willing to pay 2. Some feel that my work was worth more, but they could not afford more.

The majority want to pay 1 cent a word.

gvannorman, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  4. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Perhaps we should create the right environment ourselves then?

Kraven2, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  5. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Or our own certification, recognized worldwide.

Blue Star Ent., Jul 2, 2010 IP
  6. DreamingBig

DreamingBig Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing is for sure, I'd be up for it. If I could belong to a website that paid me .02 per word to write content all of the time, I'd be writing tons of articles for them.

DreamingBig, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  7. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    I just landed someone to pay 2 cents a word out of the BST. So it can be done.

8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    I am ready for the doubters, but I tend to consider the source. Many think there are just tons of people out there will to teach you. Sure material that is not worthwhile, and at a price to get them rich.

However, I see that there are many people that want to advance, before the walls come tumbling down, but do not know where to get the answers. When they make an innocent post, they are often rudely attacked.
    Do I attack, yes but when attacked first by someone that should know better. Now I originally was in correspondence with Dreaming Big, now Kraven has volunteered some time helping her. This is a great reaction, when this occurs.
    I helped confused a little, how she in turn is giving back a lot of confidence to fellow Indians.

There are many here than can at least be more supportive. It is time to separate the learners and earners from those who merely want a survival job.
    A big problem is caused by the get-rich-quick internet people that are running one of the 97% of all internet businesses that will fail. The problem is, is that for every one that fails, two more jump right in. These are the ones paying one half cent, one cent, one and a half, etc. They can afford to pay between $9.00 and $18.00 but there are two many writers. They are keeping the serious people here from learning, as they are slaving away at their master of the day's demands.

Am I guilty? Maybe. On occasion I have a lady in the Philippines do 450 words of research for me for $4.50. I use that for the base of an article ,before writing. That county is hopeless beyond repair, and I feel it is like sending some taxes directly to keep this woman and child from starving. $2.00 a day is a survival rate. Hopefully, someday I can help her. So when she gets the $45 and a $15 bonus, I know it gives her another month.

To me this is different from the get-rich-person, taking advantage of people that do not care. This one hits me hard inside. What do you think, am I doing right or am I doing harm?

dyadvisor, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  9. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    You care about how much people make with writing, but at the same time your paying a penny a word. Do you think that your doing harm? I am going to take a look at what you just said compared to what the buyers in the BST section say.

On occasion you pay this rate. Others refuse to pay more ever.
    You are hoping that someday you can help her. The buyers in BST could care less about helping anyone but themselves.

Your not the same as those. But, maybe you could up your rate to lets say $7 for the article. Just give a bit more. Every bit helps. Just my honest opinion.

10. atreides

atreides Peon

Best Answers:
    dreamingbig,

if i may add another little piece of advice, go job hunting. that's right.
    some sites, especially those with high content turnover, are always looking for quality writers. write to them. impress them with your mail. give them some sample of your writing. trust me on this, i know. a while back, i sent 89 of these mails out, and i had 43 of them replying back. without writing brokers, middlemen and commission rats, you'll be surprised at how much you can earn

dyadvisor,
    more and more, you are impressing me with your words and gestures

kraven,
    beneath the gruff exterior, the second layer of cheap beers, you're just a big softie aren't you?
    that was a very noble offer you made for Dreamingbig. :)

atreides, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  11. furca

furca Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As inflation continues, these numbers will only get worse. I may write a blog on it later.

furca, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  12. DreamingBig

Best Answers:
    Yep, I've been doing job hunting online. :) I had stopped for awhile but I just started back again. I found some impressive offers.

13. DreamingBig

Best Answers:
    Another vent: Something that has annoyed me as of today. I was browsing through the forums before going off shopping. I noticed some people who have participated in this thread, (Not kraven, nor dyadvisor) and regardless of what all we've talked about STILL go to the content creation board and want people to work for them at very cheap prices as if all of this went over their heads. I bet they are taking most of what that person makes and just cut the price. They get like $2 when the other person is only getting around $1.50 or less. They should be ashamed of themselves! I won't name names but I mean, come on. I even put up a thread on DP after this thread and increased my rates. If you're going to hire instead of asking for dirt cheap prices, read this page AGAIN until it slowly sinks in.

Kraven is awesome btw, he's my new hero :) First "guy" hero I've had on DP! (I say guy because I'm a female but regardless, many still call me "sir", wonders if I sound manly, or if it's because I surround myself with a lot of intelligent men and they aren't use to women?")Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  14. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its just a case of differientiating what the service required and what is being offered are.

Considering DP is an Internet Marketing Forum, alot of the writing required isnt even intended for human enjoyment for the buyer(rightly or wrongly).

In DP, the writing quality offered is a strange mix...ranging from writers that take time to research and attempt to write articles that can be enjoyed, writers with no formal writing training/experience whose first language may not even be English (or language required) and actually have no idea whether the article he is offering is actually any good for human eyes, so called writers that offer spun articles, article rewriters.

Any sensible buyer seeking quality content from this environment will either be very optimistic, limited in resources to find writers or basically not looking for quality stuff.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    xenyo, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  15. MarTh-

MarTh- Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    near everyone's really pessimistic / overly realistic with article writing market right now; $0.015/word should be seen by buyers as a standard rate for an average native speaking service that does not involve extensive research. I think some buyers have not experienced good quality content and expect the mediocre content as the same given by everyone. Unfortunately there's not a lot of info on how to learn to combine Creative Writing and SEO optimization correctly that can be applied to any niche. A competent web article writer will know a good amount of how to write for SEO optimization, ability to write good quality entertaining articles, copyscape checking, organic keyword placements etc.

What I mean is just because you're a great creative writer doesn't necessarily make you an excellent web article writer; viewers need a fast dose of content or they will close your site; search engine rankings rely on several factors that most creative writers don't know of.

But for now the market follows the general skill of the freelance writer which is not very good (including me) $0.01/word standard is starting to take an upturn I've noticed though; but $0.02 or $0.03 per word for bulk orders of say 500 word articles is rare.

MarTh-, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  16. xenyo

xenyo Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear what you're saying but I would take that extra step and say, I think a great creative writer WILL almost always make an excellent web article writer. If being a great creative writer means being able to write stuff that actual people would find interesting.

Nowadays, great content > internal SEO for articles in a number of ways.

xenyo, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  17. aru2007

aru2007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Haven't gone through the thread fully, but yeah I've read many posts and completely agree with Kraven. The rates for writing are soaring low and there are many writers who have to compromise with it. I know there are many of us who totally depend upon writing for supporting their families. It makes me feel that the money we get here is not worth the effort.

Another major issue that I have come up with is the issue of native writers. I will quote an incident. I had found a client who was willing to pay me $1.5 per 100 words. Our first deal of 10 articles had gone well and he was pretty satisfied with the work. He ordered another set and while I was working on the second set, he saw it in my DP profile that I hail from India. I was asked to write the same content for a price of 70c per 100 words. I know that there are numerous Indians who think that article writing is just another make-quick-bucks scheme and provide garbage to the market. However, not all of them are same.

aru2007, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  18. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CORRECT. However, I doubt that you have a well put together portfolio of well written articles that prove your worth and what you can do for the buyer that others cannot. If you are still being mistreated, then fully buyer the content buyer. Remember they are pawning this off as being the author, when they do not know how to write. Work not with the clickbank and small product sellers, but seek those in the professional market. If you need a little additional learning, which there are few people that can honestly say they do not, then move your self up and separate yourself from the mob. Let these incidents first get you mad, and then burn that fuel into determination.

Please answer in your mind one question. "Am I going to let the situation control me, or am I going to control the situation."------------------------

dyadvisor, Jul 3, 2010 IP
  19. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Congratulations ! Look for even better. I am :)

Blue Star Ent., Jul 3, 2010 IP
  20. copy4you

copy4you Peon

Best Answers:
    well, a lot of people wrote already how much they agree with you and why, that I will only add: you have a very good point!

copy4you, Jul 3, 2010 IP