1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The return of Slavery

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Kraven2, Jun 12, 2010.

1. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course, those are slave wages for anybody in the world and one of them is so immensely talented and loves writing. If I had her talent I could easily make $100 per article. I am trying to help her get some really good paying blog-writings which suit her style. The actual marketing of her skills is the main issue with her but I think she is working on it.

WebBuddy, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  2. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I started working for these slave wages. I have given that up for bigger and better rates. It seems that freelancing has become an issue for some. I wrote a post on my blog about writing for money. It is a quick way to make a few bucks. I received a comment that said that you work hard very little money. I can relate to this person because I did that at one time. No my rates are quite a bit higher, but everything is negotiable. I like to pride myself at being affordable. I want to be able to fit into everyone's budget. This is not always possible. That is where you need to draw the line. I do charge quite a bit. Not that it matters on here. I look for jobs else where

gvannorman, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  3. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    gvannorman you opened up an excellent point!

Now just take your point and apply it to this angle. The value of your writing is determined by the profits made by those you are writing for.

A better structured and written article of course brings more traffic and more traffic. So you deserve to be paid more. I seriously believe that you are underestimating your worth.

Let's say that you wrote an article for a financial planning firm. A new client will average $3,000 in profit. Your article in 6 months delivers two new actual clients. Would you feel guilty in getting $50 or much more for that article? You have chosen to make a better lifestyle.

I am helping a male right now in India. Should I help that person to make $5 an article or $25 and up? There is a problem that not enough writers treat this as a profession.

What it going to happen to article writers if China decides to enter the market? You will have so many sweatshops with mistreated workers, that tons of writers in India just treating this as a meal ticket, will soon not be bone dry.

Do not be satisfied. Always strive to become better. The internet does not live by the old brick and mortar rules. Quality is not king. Getting quality clients is king.

------------------good comments, have a great day----------------

dyadvisor, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  4. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    dyadvisor,

The problem that I see here on DP is that the writers here are willing to settle for a penny a word. I thought that was the going rate until I read Jennifer Mattern's blog. Then I realized that I am worth a lot more than a penny. I do like to write. I really enjoy doing what I do. That is why I do it.

Your point is a very good one. An article that can make the buyer $100 or more dollars is easily worth $20. That would be 4 cents a word for a 500 word article. I wonder what would happen if I posted an ad in the BST section with this point. Would I get any buyers? Or at least a few interested in what I have to offer,

gvannorman, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  5. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Only one way to find out ;)

Kraven2, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  6. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    gvannorman If you seriously desired, you could develop your writing a little more structured. I would be glad to show you for FREE, how to do this consistently. In fact, I am thinking about more like 8 cents or higher in the USA.

Anyways, go read my current article in the forum. It will give you a more detailed and meaningful idea of the concept.

Then if you have the desire to move up contact me. All my assistance and materials are free. That choice is one I of course, leave up to you. I have quite a number of people continuing what they are doing while taking steps up.

------------------personally I thing BST might be on and off, there are other options to also use-----------the US economy and worldwide is not improving fast enough, so you have to shape your own future--------

7. WebBuddy

WebBuddy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    LOL to that Kraven . Your one-liners are always better than your other posts.

And yes, gvannorman when you put up 4cents on a word on DP>BST, you'll find few takers but if you do find one he/she will be worth 4 you would have found for 1cent a word. I have discovered that some really decent clients also troll the BST sections because they probably do not know where else to look for writers, or for some other reason God alone knows. Honestly, if you put up a nice sales pitch, 3 cents a word is not a very high price on DP and maybe there'd be easy takers for more than that. Go ahead and put up a nice ad, and let's evaluate the results just for the sake of argument and evaluation.

WebBuddy, Jun 27, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Personally, I have heard that Craigslist, can also help raise your price. You might see if others post this as a good or bad source. Or try it on your own. It is certainly not a big investment, plus you might find some higher up clients needing writing.

9. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Sheesh, now I don't now to be offended or flattered! :D

Kraven2, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  10. dtodo

dtodo Member

Best Answers:
    You're absolutely right, I agree with you ...

dtodo, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  11. Fastest Writers

Fastest Writers Peon

Best Answers:
    As far as it is not a FORCED labor, the writer can decide if he or she should proceed working with any buyer. If they are feeling okay at those rates or if they are writing for fun than getting paid, why should we people take risk?

Fastest Writers, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  12. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So you are okay with being tricked into selling yourself short? Dang! In that case I got some swamp land to sell you! :D

Kraven2, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  13. OnurSQL

OnurSQL Guest

Best Answers:
    Good morning Kraven2, what you refer to as "Slavery" has been a very well established business approach for the past two decades, it is known as Outsourcing and Globalization. You can also add the idea of Free and Liberal Markets, but that has been around for more than two decades.

So, i do not quite understand the issue. You are providing services, you have a range of prices which you believe, is fair according to your standards. And other people have different price ranges. Not all the time, it does mean that someone who charges less than you, actually writes worse than you. In fact you should concentrate on your self work, and adding quality/value added services to compete with those who are charging "insane" rates.

In summary, "market" decides what is "fair". Not some regulator, or an expert, or a competitor like you. If you think their work is worse than you, your quality and work will show itself no matter how much more you charge. There is nothing to be scared of, or get upset at really.

$300 in beverly hills may mean a fancy dinner out, but somewhere in the world, 4 person family is living with that money whole month. Since you can not change this reality, you can not moderate the market prices, or judge on what is fair or what is insane.

OnurSQL, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  14. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am not answering for Kraven2, but I will agree with what you say about not being able to change "this reality". What a person can do is change the existential reality of a few people so that they do not have to stay in their situation if they do not want to. They can then charge much more for one article than they use to and regain their lives ( read : time ).

Blue Star Ent., Jun 29, 2010 IP
  15. gvannorman

Best Answers:
    I think the point that they are trying to get across is that if the content that you write brings in a profit of $100 to the buyer. What is wrong with that buyer paying you $25 for it. It was worth a lot more.

Of course how can this really be determined until after the fact? I mean I write on my blog daily, sometimes twice a day. What I like to do is just put something up there. I like to see what the search engines will bring me. What I would like to learn however is how to determine what the search engines look at as my main keywords. This information will help a lot. Maybe Ill head on over to the SEO section and lurk for a bit.

gvannorman, Jun 29, 2010 IP
    Kraven2 likes this.
  16. OnurSQL

OnurSQL Guest

Best Answers:
    Blue Star Ent; personally i dont think that is achievable through the efforts of relatively small groups like us. There are millions of people working for what you call slave wages. So it is not really a "few people". If you are talking about people here in US, then i can not really comment on that. I tried to mention some facts, i dont necessarily enjoy these facts or support the current situation. My point is, it is non sense to put a cap or minimum pricing on forums like this. Neither it is right, nor it can solve the problem.

If i need quality, i would never hire someone to write me an article for $1 per 250 words. If i am looking for just regular updated junk blogs, of course i will look for cheap. So the consumer will decide whats right for them, and for every different price segment you guys are offering your services. I code software, and i have to compete with people from India and Pakistan, they charge 1/5 of what i do. What can i do? My neighbours are hiring gardeners for 1/5 of what i pay to my landscaping company. I may seem like im broadening the issue, but they are all same problems in nature.

OnurSQL, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  17. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Yes ! There are more people like you out there. I know that most people who want to hire quality writers know this also. The millions who are working for slave wages need to know this too. "Fiverr dot com" will not give it to them. :)

I think you can start your own company making software. If you have ever read "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" and the series afterwards, it will help you. Get a manager position over other programmers. They will thank you for getting them more work. :) It is all in the mindset. If you want to remain a slave it is your choice, if you want to get ahead, this also is your choice.

By the way, if you can code in Java, I would like to ask you some things. :) I make websites, large ones, and want to trade one for a mobile game.

Blue Star Ent., Jun 30, 2010 IP
  18. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I was about to comment, but then I realized Blue Star Ent, said it all already.

And well said too!

Kraven2, Jun 30, 2010 IP
  19. OnurSQL

OnurSQL Guest

Best Answers:
    Well well. That was meant to be a rhetorical question lol. That was not like, oh god what am i gonna do now? I do not work for slave wages FYI. And it quite offending that, you think i do just because i am defending some facts here. For my area of expertise, i do not lower my prices because foreigners charge peanuts for what i do. There are enough clients out there who are looking for quality, better support, better communication, so i go and aim those clientele, and i can still get decent amount of work. For others, they get work too. So everyone is happy. I concentrate on quality instead of making fun with others or request PHP programming rates to be set to a minimum of $30/hr in the forum. There is no need to cry or float against the flow of nature. You think you are better, yeah go charge 5 times those ridiculous rates, you will still get clients, whats the problem?

Go to Macy's and find a ladies bag for $100, and the same exact bag is maybe $30 at Ross or a similar discount department store. Should Macy's request prices to be set to a minimum of $100 because they are losing too many clients to discount stores? They are still making money, who cares. It is a different marketing segment. The store is more beautiful, lines and racks are organized better, the cashier has a better looking cleavage, and there are people who pay for these extras. Others go to Ross and buy for cheap.

What is really difficult to understand here?

OnurSQL, Jun 30, 2010 IP
  20. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    If you look through the threads, you will find you are exactly correct. There are only two posters that refuse to accept reality.

---------------------------------------------------------good analogy logic in your post ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dyadvisor, Jun 30, 2010 IP