1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

9 reasons why you will never be successful

Discussion in 'General Business' started by venturetothetop, Jun 28, 2010.

I reprinted this from an article I wrote today on my blog, as I thought it may be useful for people here. Hope it helps:

Many people want to be successful, but will never be because of the following reasons. This list has been compiled after working with numerous clients so there is a good chance that if you are not yet successful and can not figure out why, then the reason may be here:

1) You listen to too many people:

This is my pet hate.

1. Take action, don't try to gather mentors, they are not trophies and all have different ways of doing things so will leave you confused
    2. Learn as much as you can from one mentor before moving on to the next.

Like people on here who gather tons and tons of advice, but never take any action. I also dislike then people ask a general question about their site like ' why am i not converting sales' when no one can see their site, so all the advice is general, meaningless and a waste of time (see 2. for the solution to this).

2) You do not have a mentor:

I speak about this all the time to my clients

1. Of course you can do it without a mentor it may just take you 3 or 4 times as long

3) You focus on too many things at once:

1. Try the rule of three (I wrote about it on my blog). Ask yourself, what are the three most important aspects of my business. What three things do my customers like best about my product and what three things are my priority today.
    2. Think in three's, don't over complicate

4) You never finish things:

Like how i used to be, your mind is in many places at once and you end up starting on something new before you finish something off.

1. Learn to accept that something finished is better then 100 half finished projects
    2. Don't aim for perfection, just finish it. Once finished improve it until its great. (concept of continuous improvement, relieves the pressure and makes finishing something fun)

5) You don't listen to the advice given:

You make excuses as to why it will not work for you without trying hard enough at it.

1. If you trust the person, trust the advice... try it
    2. If you want the lifestyle the advisor has, understand they may know something you do not know or understand yet.

6) You don't really believe you can be successful:

By not believing you can give up easily and make excuses why something will not work without even trying it. You make it more difficult for yourself so you don't have to risk anything and can give up easily and go back to your normal routine life like all your friends. Being different from your friends and being successful is alien to you.

1. Understand most people are not successful on their first few attempts, and that's why it's called a learning curve.
    2. Hang out or surround yourself with people who are successful. There is a reason why this is widely known amongst the successful.
    3. Believe it is possible or just give up, your wasting your time and energy.

7) Your just too lazy:

The sooner you learn that luck comes to those who make an effort to find it, the quicker you will start looking for it and stumble upon it.

1. Do something, you learn by doing. (If enough people ask i will reprint a post about banishing laziness here, which i previously published elsewhere)

8.) You cannot learn to prioritise:

Goes hand in hand with number 3. You spend most of your time on secondary tasks when the most important stuff gets left behind.

1. Remember the rule of three. Ask 'What are the three most important things I should do today'
    2. Make a list of all tasks, number them, 1 = urgent, 2 = should do, 3 = would be good to do.
    3. Do 1's first, then 2's forget 3's until you have done all 1 and 2.
    4. If more 1's and 2's get added to the list, accept they are more urgent and happily wipe them off.
    5. Put all you tasks on 'post it' notes, then feel the satisfaction of screwing them up and throwing them away when the job is done.

9) You do not have anyone to hold you accountable...

The best athletes do it, miss training they have a forfeit.

1. Find an accountability partner and help yourself become accountable (preferably your mentor)

Change your thinking and habits for success to find you. Feel free to add any points I have missed to make it an ultimate resource for newbies.

venturetothetop, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  2. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    I personally don't think you need a "mentor". I think you just need to have someone you can trust with sharing your ideas. Once you have that, you can bounce ideas off of one another and hopefully get an honest response. Sometimes you best ideas are bad ones and it can save you a lot of time just to have a second opinion on it and someone to show you the loopholes. :)

I personally have two guys that we talk online a lot. Sometimes it isn't about work, but it makes the day go by faster. We spend a lot of time though talking about website improvements and I often help them with my skills and they do the same a lot.

PHPGator, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  3. JohnnyHal

JohnnyHal Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been in the IM game for a while, and I agree with just about everything said up there. It's a little harsh, but for some people that's exactly what they need.
    I didn't become successful until I stopped looking for advice and just took all the knowledge I already had an applied it - consistently to one project until completion, then another and another, etc. It takes time, but money can be made online - you just have to be dedicated and focused.

JohnnyHal, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  4. nab

nab Peon

Best Answers:
    Great post.

I agree with all points. Especially Taking action and avoiding 'information overload'.

Taking ACTION is vital to be successful in ANY field, not just in the making money online niche.

Also, too many newcomers fall prey to 'information overload'. They are forever in a state of 'starting' and never actually 'doing'.

nab, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  5. Le Dangles

Le Dangles Member

Best Answers:
    you can use digital point as a mentor! just bounce your ideas around with the members on this forum and you'll get tonnes of feedback from noobs and experts.

Where do you suggest you find mentors? Do you have to pay for a mentor?

Le Dangles, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  6. goshawk21

goshawk21 Guest

Best Answers:
    I gotta agree on the taking action part. When I was in school I remember hearing "knowledge is power" for the first time. I prefer the concept "Applied knowledge is power" since nothing will happen until you decide to make it happen.

goshawk21, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  7. lifeplayer

lifeplayer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Dont listen and listen too many is not going to success, so "how many" shall we listen?

How many is considered as "too many"? more than one? five? or ten?

lifeplayer, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  8. hitechbpo

hitechbpo Peon

Best Answers:
    Great Post !

Continues your writing at this way.

hitechbpo, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  9. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    research and execute thats the key. success is not for slackers:)

webcosmo, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  10. rafirpmc

rafirpmc Member

Best Answers:
    great................. carry on man

rafirpmc, Jun 28, 2010 IP
  11. itsallwhite

itsallwhite Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree to a certain extent and there is a trend for people to buy and read lots of ebooks, pay mentors $$$'s and then expect the money to come rolling in, but I do think it is very useful to have someone you can call on to step back and look at the bigger picture and tell you what you are doing wrong and give some ideas you might not have considered,

itsallwhite, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  12. bimal32

bimal32 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I request you to post it here or give me a link, I want to read it.
    Thanks

bimal32, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  13. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    You're trying too hard to think. You should know what "too many" is. Too many is more than you can handle while trying to create a balanced work schedule.

mezner, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  14. shahram200

shahram200 Peon

Best Answers:
    imho, too many can be a single wife even.:)

shahram200, Jun 29, 2010 IP
  15. RTL

RTL Active Member

Best Answers:
    Excellent post! All those reasons make a bunch of sense, and those who aim to be successful would benefit greatly from reading this article.

I second the request for the 'banishing laziness' article.

Thank you!

RTL, Jul 1, 2010 IP
  16. dillon

dillon Member

Best Answers:
    You need a plan before you can take action, but once you have a plan, however basic, take massive action and stop reading MMO blogs and sites. Just put your head down and work like crazy.

dillon, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  17. Just Jump

Just Jump Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm number four I never finish...

Just Jump, Jul 2, 2010 IP
  18. bandito1

bandito1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Very Interesting thanks for sharing!

bandito1, Jul 7, 2010 IP
  19. devashishseo

devashishseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice posting. keep posting..................

devashishseo, Jul 25, 2010 IP
  20. jaakko

jaakko Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for very useful post

jaakko, Jul 26, 2010 IP