1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal debt collectors :(

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by crazyryan, Sep 20, 2006.

When I walked in from school my mum said that paypal debt collectors sent us a letter through the post.

I now owe them £85. What do they expect me too do, i'm only 14 so .. how can i afford that. My mum is gonna pay it but jeez, it's not my fault someone opened a dispute.

crazyryan, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  2. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Pay it. Don't you know that you cannot actually open a Paypal account as you need to be 18 before you can do so. Take that as a lesson and move on.

Just return the £85 which you can withdraw. It is not that they are asking more than what you have collected.

eddy2099, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Technically you don't owe them a dime though since a 14 year old cannot legally enter a contract.

yfs1, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  4. TheSyndicate

TheSyndicate Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    if some open a dispute you bloody answer to that one. And keep on answer until you blooody win. Then you pay if you have to and if you are only 14 you can

1. Close the account tell them i am 14 i am not paying.
    2. Keep the account and pay and ssshhhh about it.

i would take 2

TheSyndicate, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  5. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    There are three sides to every story. It's unlikely that we will hear 2 of them.

If the PP acount is in your name, there still is a bank account associated with it. Close that account ASAP! Ignore the letter and pay nothing.

If the PP acount is in MOM's name either pay or continue the dispute and try to win.

Paypal sucks.

noppid, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  6. daboss

daboss Guest

Best Answers:
    hey man, gbp 85 isn't that much... just do the right thing and pay it... that way, you stay clean... ;)

daboss, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  7. crazyryan

crazyryan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    my mum rung them up complaining because i have 300 in a limited account and why dont paypal just take it from that

and then she says well, my sons 14 so im ringing on his behalf and the person said i dont think you'll have too pay then so.. hopefully i wont. my dad has too email paypal later tonight, either way my mum will bail me of if i have too .. so

im not gonna use paypal anymore either way

crazyryan, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  8. Sem-Advance

Sem-Advance Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I doubt you owe anything as a minor you cannot enter into a valid contract it would seem and as such Paypal made the error in accepting you.

I'm just a bit lost as I had to go through sending my ID and tax information to them :confused:

Didnt they ask for yours and realize how old you were?

Sem-Advance, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  9. ZachG

ZachG Peon

Best Answers:
    What do you mean 85gbp isn't that much? That's like $160 here :(

ZachG, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  10. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Correct me if I am wrong but is the reason your other account is frozen because you haven't supplied any details (Things like Credit Cards, Bank Accounts which would go some way in proving you are 18+)

If they have frozen your money because of your age, then definately don't pay them (Again if everything is in your name). They can't have their cake and eat it too.

weak dollar :p

yfs1, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  11. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is sick that Paypal or any online merchant just have to take the rap because you as a minor falsify your signup and pretend to be over 18 and then cheat them of the money and now use the Minor card and blame them for it and not want to pay.

I know in a face-to-face, they can see you are a minor and if they allow you to sign up, that's their fault.

But on an online signup, the terms and conditions was in front of you, they cannot see you, they take it in good faith that you are who you say you are. Now you blame them for accepting you as a minor and don't want to pay. How would they have known you are not who you say you are when you do not supply any identification, I mean it is not like your IP address could indicate your age or anything.

It is sick that you guys are recommending playing this card. It is not like Paypal is in the wrong here. Tell me, how can they work differently in this case, how can they determine the OP is a minor and reject the signup outright ? It is Online signup, guys.

If this happens to you, instead of Paypal, would you be laughing your way to the bank and say 'Oops, I signed up a kid, well he cannot legally contract with me and so he doesn't need to pay me, he can do anything he wants because he is a minor. I am happy that he does this because I cannot have my cake and eat it but he is a minor so it is okay.'

Guys, don't go around and give him the license to play the minor card. He has 4 more years before he turn 18 and that means 4 more years to have the license to go around, purchase things and refuse to pay or take responsibility and bring out the minor card. Is this what you want him to grow up to be, someone without any sense of morals and obligations, one who does not read simple rules, refuse to respond to disputes and pretend that by doing nothing would solve all the problems of the world. Wake up to reality. You need to grow up to be responsible citizens of the world and your actions have consequences and you have to live with them. This is dealing with people's hard-earn money.

Fahd and munt like this.
  12. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    Actually since they deal in banking issues they have regulatory affairs and laws they have to follow.

Next thats a kid your jumping on ...at 14 were you as wise as you think you are now???

He clearly sees his mistake and it seems went to do this without his parents knowledge or oversite...that is his only sin if there is one there.

Thirdly, you open a business there are things you must do and pay for at times in order to be in business...these are things known as the "cost of doing business" losses are one, fraud is one, insurance claims, making bad loans, opening an account for a minor, poor marketing choices, bad health care insurance policies etc etc...

Lastly....Paypals actions are as bad as the credit card companies that send credit cards to college students who never applied for them....

Paypal has the millions of dollars to absorb the loss....it would appear thew child does not nor do his parents seem to be millionaires...

And another thing ...if he did falsify the application.....what so wrong with a 14 year old wanting to work and make money??? New era...new world order..news flash for you and paypal.... we have 16 year olds who own multi million dollar businesses online...I think age should have nothing to do with openning a bank account....those kids are better qualified to have one than quite a few adults
    ========================================================

Yes yfs you are correct though there are other reasons they do the security checks...

Peace

13. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sem-Advance,

So you are saying that I can get my kid to purchase from you and then refuse to pay and just tell you he is a minor so you have to accept it as business loss ?

Well, when I was young, my parents thought me that my actions have consequences and my teachers thought me to read the rules and to behave or else I would suffer the consequences.

If he is guilty, owning up here does not change anything. He should return the money and take that as a lesson.

14. Sem-Advance

Best Answers:
    If thats what happens then yes....

I know the things you were taught....

and the adults at Paypal have been taught how to run their business properly.....

their failure to do so is not the kids fault.....if anything he deserves a hand for showing Paypal a security flaw.....

want to know the killer part???

He isnt the first kid to do it either...and I know that for fact :D

So now whos at fault...the kids...or paypal for not adding a credit card ownership verification step to their sign up...instituted by the adult industry years ago????

Its all just bureacracy and votes that decides how strictly laws are enforced..

Kid gets my support and if you feel so bad for Paypal you wont mind paying his debt correct???

15. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    So basically you are saying that it is alright for a kid to be irresponsible and have total disregard for anything.

It is not about the money here. It is just that what you are doing is telling kids that there is a loophole in the law of contracts and that they have every right to abuse it and not be responsible for anything. The kid would then grow up to be irresponsible.

If I pay the kid debt, it means that I condone to what he is doing and I cannot accept that.

Paypal does have a system to provide a limited account to those who have unverified account and only increase the limits for those who are verified via credit card or bank account. It is just that not everyone has a credit card here. I had to verify my account via credit card.

I mean he done wrong, fine but the thing is that I cannot agree with the rest of you who teach him to be irresponsible. It is just not right.

Foggy likes this.
  16. Connections

Connections Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    lol, thats notihng I had a fine of around $900 usd a while ago from carrying a open bottle onto a train station i thought it was the most stupid fine ever and never paid it for 1 year as it was just revenue raising, I had to pay it eventually when I was only 17 as they froze my drivers licence I am 19 now and believe me if you mess around and dont pay things it can stuff your credit raiting for life, sure i know you feel like shit dishing out the $$$ but you have to....just sell one of your sites off or sell some services to make the $$$ its not hard to make $$$$

Connections, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  17. Fahd

Fahd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What does the dispute say? People generally dispute when they pay for something and don't get what was promised. It is possible you were a victim of fraud, but we won't know until you tell us the details of the dispute.

Either way, good luck with this!

Fahd, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  18. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Just let your mom pay the fee and take a cut in your allowance. Take this as a lesson when dealing with people online, don't try to sneak away from your responsibilities.

checksum, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  19. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    It is paypal's responsibility to make sure people are of legal age. Just like it is a credit card companies responsibility. If a kid gets a credit card and then rings up charges, the credit card company is going to have to eat. Same here with Paypal.

aeiouy, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  20. checksum

checksum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If I was this persons parent I would be be making him pay regardless of the legalities. He knew what he was doing. I'm not his parent though so what I say has little consequence.

checksum, Sep 20, 2006 IP