1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Average Salary in India -- Outsourcing editor job

Discussion in 'General Business' started by ryanng, Sep 19, 2006.

I am thinking about outsourcing some of the simple editing job (on my website's content) to India. The job is simple -- collecting data, posting, simple editing...

Anyone has such experience with hiring ppl from India as a small business owner?
    where should I start with? What's the average salary?

I checked multiple freelancer websites, not too much useful info found...

thanks!

ryanng, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  2. marketing

marketing Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I have hired several overseas people to do projects for me. Because of problems with them I steer clear of anyone from that region. Pakistan, India and other countries in that general area can do the work for pretty cheap (because of the economic differences in that area) but the language barrier was too much to overcome. Many mistakes were made in trying to do work in English (mostly grammatical errors, not spelling errors) which made the entire project a waste since I had to go through and correct (reword) a ton of the work. I since have found many people on RentACoder.com and Scriptlance.com that can do data entry related work for cheap. You might post a project on one of those two sites targeting data entry people and see what you come up with. When people reply to your project, you can tell how well they use grammar and spell for the most part by asking lots of questions.

I also had some coding done by a person from Pakistan and it went pretty well.

marketing, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    flagday likes this.
  3. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    India is a poor country and average salary is less than 1000 USD a year.

However for the work that you are offering (requiring computer proficiency) - assuming it is a full time job (6-8 hours a day), the average salary would be anywhere between 150 USD and 300 USD.

For anything lower than 150 USD, I would be sceptical about the work quality.

sachin410, Sep 19, 2006 IP
    Indian likes this.
  4. ryanng

ryanng Peon

Best Answers:
    I was looking at rentacoder.com... it seemed that the expected salary from those data entry ppl is about $5-7/hour on average.. this will come up with at least $5*8*20 = $800 per month!

I wonder how much you guys normally pay (per hour) for simple jobs (no coding involved) ?

ryanng, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  5. ryanng

ryanng Peon

Best Answers:
    I think $150-$250/month is acceptable... Now the question is where I should go to look for the right ppl...

besides the two websites mentioned above, any other useful website(s)?

ryanng, Sep 19, 2006 IP
  6. shaileshk

shaileshk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

i am not agree

shaileshk, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  7. sachin410

Best Answers:
    On which point ?? Plz explain. :eek:

sachin410, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  8. seoindiaweb

seoindiaweb Banned

Best Answers:
    I think he didnt agreed on this point
    I think he didnt agreed on this point

seoindiaweb, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  9. shaileshk

shaileshk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i am not agree on this point "India is a poor country and average salary is less than 1000 USD a year."

shaileshk, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  10. sachin410

Best Answers:
    sachin410, Sep 20, 2006 IP
  11. srik79

srik79 Active Member

Best Answers:
    sorry wrong links

srik79, Sep 22, 2006 IP
  12. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    yes average indian salary is about $800 a year . (per capita income) .however computer proffesionals are earning more .it depends on qualification . there are peoples in india who are getting like $10000 a month other are working for $60 a month .and yes india is poor country .. donot look at your own bank account go and see poor peoples near delhi railway station or bombay slumps.

as far as posting job is concered you need to use website offering jobs to indian . online job portals like monsterindia.com, some other search on google .. post your job explain your terms clearly and pay weekly basis .there are lot of qualified peoples too . get an online interview before passing any work ... and $500 is good salary for anyone but if you need highly proffesional person it may go upto $2000 a month .remember india have 1 billion population that is thrice than america so you can find any type of talented peoples all you need to do is spend some time to search them . those who pass work without any reserch always loose .

as $1 dollar is equal to 45 indian ruppes so you can find extremely talented peoples at very cheap cost thats the reason india outsorucing/software export is over 20 billion usd per year .and expexted to cross $100 billion in next few years .

topaffiliateprogram, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  13. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Post your requirements on this forum under Buy, Sell, Trade. I have had work done (sites built, hundreds of directory submissions, etc) and it was done by people from Australia and South America (his written English made me think he was North American :)). India is not the only game in town.

tbarr60, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  14. DidierE

DidierE Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree 100%
    Some of them don't understand English very well and sometimes you need to explain things 20 times before they understand.
    Besides that they are pretty good.
    However you should be careful because many of them bid on jobs they can't do or can do but with very poor results. (and they call themselves "pros" or "industry leaders")
    So always ask for examples of previous works.

Didier

DidierE, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  15. honey

honey Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends, we have a staff of around 18 guys, and the salary ranges between $450 per month to $1200 per month. It really depends. And we can not ignore the fact that we do have to spend considerable amount of time managing/training the $450 per month guys.

I don't know in what part of India the average salary of "computer professionals", is $1000 per year or $150 per month.
    BTW, our company has been in business for 8+ years now. Started in the middle of 1998.

honey, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    sachin410 and SEOLinker like this.
  16. n.b

n.b Peon

Best Answers:
    The average Indian salary is less than $1000, however, Indian people are talented and can work as required. I think most of the works posted here in this forum are done by Indian people. Not sure though.

n.b, Sep 23, 2006 IP
  17. poseidon

poseidon Banned

Best Answers:
    Sachin India is not a poor country. Ya may be due to economic disparity, there is a huge section of poplation who lives below poverty line but still India is doing well in many front and I would really appreciate if from now on, you use developing country for India :) also from where did you got this fact that avg indian salary is $1000 per year(its very deceptive figure considering india's social structre is alot different from other nations)?

it alot depends on the skills the person posses. Personally I feels if you need quality content than there is nothing wrong in staying with native english speakers by paying a little more. Also You can find writers from south africa or may be caribbean countries or may be from south america. Or may be if the work is big, you can try to contact some english literature student from India through job sites .

Regards

poseidon, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  18. Ajeet

Ajeet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am located in India and use many writers / editors. I pay average salaries of about $500 per month. But, we are talking of people working in organizational structures -- requiring a lots of management / benefits. The reason you will often hear that Indian quality is very poor is that people come here looking for the $100 per month kind of employees. Those do exist, but clearly are not sustainable for even moderate quality.

Ajeet, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  19. sachin410

Best Answers:
    I think you didn't see the link I provided, so I post again:

http://www.finfacts.com/biz10/globalworldincomepercapita.htm

India's per capita income is somewhere near 700 USD per year. India ranks a pathetic 129 out of 160 in the list. Countries like Tonga and Angola are richer than India by per capita income.

Most of the Indians on DP have a frog's view about reality of India.India is not just made up people like you and me who sit in front of the PC whole day and live a life of comfort.

2/3 rd of Indian population lives in villages. Even urban population has a large proportion of poor and lower-middle class individuals.

I wonder if anyone noticed, inspite of such a large number of Indians on DP, there are hardly any members from half of the Indian states like Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, the Union territories , the seven North Eastern states, Goa etc.

Even if we consider the states that are represented ,most of the Indian members are from developed cities with population of over 1 million.

This was the reason I gave two different figures for "Average Indian Salary" and the salary that one may have to pay for such work.

sachin410, Sep 23, 2006 IP
    alexisthemovie likes this.
  20. sachin410

Best Answers:
    There is a difference between a "Computer Professional" and a "Computer Literate".

As such this job doesn't require any professional skills except the ability to use the computer and internet.

In India this may be considered a special skill, but it is elementary in the western world.

sachin410, Sep 23, 2006 IP