1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Want server for a new Image-Hosting site.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by adityajanorkar, Jun 16, 2010.

Hi Friends..

I'm interested in opening a new image-hosting site................I have no ideas about servers.....I just want to know following things.

1.Which kind of server I need for an image-hosting site?
    2.Where can I get a server?
    3.How much it will cost me per/month? (there will now be much uploads in first stage)
    4.How can I earn by an image-hosting site?

Thanks.

adityajanorkar, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  2. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1.Which kind of server I need for an image-hosting site?
    Start from at least VPS with 512ram.

2.Where can I get a server?
    webhostingtalk dot c0m

3.How much it will cost me per/month? (there will now be much uploads in first stage)
    Around $15/month

4.How can I earn by an image-hosting site?
    By putting adsense ads.

mentos, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  3. anands

anands Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Start of with a small VPS or cloud server and you can upgrade as you grow higher. Make sure you get a lot of bandwidth as image hosting eats up a lot. The DC should be able to give cheaper bandwidth upgrades in future.

Make sure you chose the script sensibly. It should be compatible with light weight web servers like ngnix, lighttpd. This can help a lot on saving server resources in future.

Pricing should be around $15-20 a month. Adsense, pop-up ads and paid hot linking packages will help you earn more.

If you are allowing adult content on your website, be careful with Adsense. You might get banned easily.

anands, Jun 17, 2010 IP
  4. antpeks

antpeks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i made this post before, but i am happy to repost it here:

Imagehosting is becoming a niche market faster and faster i think. Image hosting scripts are becoming GPL (mihalism for example) so it is easier and easier to start a image hosting site for everyone, We our self run a couple of image hosting sites, some where we pay users for the impression they generate, some are just free imagehosting sites.

In earlier days, you could sell subscriptions to your users for more webspace, larger uploading limits, secure storage and so on, but all these are now available for free on the net, so there is no money to be made, or i should say almost no money to be made. I personally think that one of only ways to make money with a basic free imagehosting service is Advertising.

Offcourse you need to target your advertising to the visitors / users of your site, for example if you start a revenue sharing imagehosting service Google is not done, as they simply do not allow this kind of sites to feature their ads, but offcourse we still have adbrite, clicksor, and many many more. I personally do have my ad networks all in a separate script (Ad Manager Pro) so i can provide every user the ad who makes me the most money.

How we do this, actually it fairly simple, we go out and look for ad networks from different countries as we think that local ad networks pay better for local traffic, if you have italian users wel give the ads from a italian ad network, and the same for dutch users and so on (you get the idea).

As we speak about Servers, this is totally depended on what kind os script you use, how much users you have and what traffic you generate. I should say start out with a simple VPS enough hdd space and a fairly good CPU and Amount of Ram. But in this phase you do not need to invest i a high end server, a simple imagehosting script will not consume much resources, this is only done by the high populated sites.

For example we run a site (adult imagehosting) with 600 users on a dedicated machine with 2 GB ram and 500 GB hdd, load is on that server a avarage of .36 over the day with peaks to .85 on the busy moments. on that same machine we run two forums also and a social network.

Costs per month is totally depended on what you choose for server, but also on what you want to spend on marketing and traffic. A good server with 4 TB traffic, a 500 GB HDD and 2 GB ram will cost you a maximum of 89 Euro's a month more important is the location and the available network. One question left:

Where can you get such a server, well we can provide it at our facilities, you can get it on the web or just contact me. if you have any questions.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
    antpeks, Jun 18, 2010 IP
  5. haveseo

haveseo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1) For start you can buy a shared or vps server ( for a better speed)
    2) I think hostgator is a good choice.
    3) VPS in hostgator starts from $20/month
    4) Insert Adsense ads on it or popup ads to earn money.

haveseo, Jul 5, 2010 IP
  6. phpsolution

phpsolution Active Member

Best Answers:
    1)Shared server is nice for starting
    2)..i think you are new in this area..i give you suggest find out free web hosting from DP member if some one offer you than and put their web hosting link in it so also get regular back links
    3)IF YOU follow point 2 than its free for you
    4)Adsense and link sales generate good money for you

thanks.

phpsolution, Jul 17, 2010 IP
  7. i2dotnet

i2dotnet Peon

Best Answers:
    mostly shared hosting not allowed to use as image hosting, vps would be good starter.

i2dotnet, Jul 21, 2010 IP
  8. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    No, I believe if you do the search doe the image hosting you will find plenty of shared web hosts which allow you host images on shared account

~ServerPoint~, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  9. LH-Danny

LH-Danny Member

Best Answers:
    @antpeks - Amazing post, you gave me loads of information which will come in useful. Thank you.

LH-Danny, Jul 22, 2010 IP
  10. WordPlace

WordPlace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. you will probably need a VPS as others mentioned. or a basic dedicated server. as your website grows a dedicated server will offer more flexibility
    2. there are a lot of cheap hosting company. but beware, going for cheap hosting you might be sacrificing quality over money.
    3. a cheap vps can cost from $5.99 to $19.99 (512mb ram). dedicated are more expensive - starting from $40+
    4. advertising, as others mentioned. use google adsense, for example

WordPlace, Jul 29, 2010 IP
  11. hostea

hostea Peon

Best Answers:
    hey if i give you Shared Hosting account in my VPS So can you partnership with me?

hostea, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  12. rohit09

rohit09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    But this all VPS comes without Panel. I mean cPanel cost 15$-35 and if VPS cost 15$ then - monthly pay will be 30$. Also 512MB Ram not healthy for hot link IMAGE hosting site that means 2GB RAM cost with some 30$ that means he got 45$ per month bill. If he can spent that for his site then it's ok.. Or he should try Shared Host.. More less, Reliable and affordable.

Think about it!

rohit09, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  13. IPStrada LLC

IPStrada LLC Member

Best Answers:
    OP Do you still need Server ?? We have special going for $55 a month.

IPStrada LLC, Sep 28, 2010 IP