1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bing caught cheating the system

Discussion in 'Bing' started by drhowarddrfine, Jun 13, 2010.

Ever go to MSN and click on an article which purports to answer a question only to send you to Bing search results? That's one act of desperation Microsoft uses to boost Bing market share and they got caught. comScore, the company that most refer to for such stats, will now change their method of data collection to ignore such tricks. Watch for Bing market share to drop over the next month or so.

Note: Yahoo, which partnered with Microsoft, did the same thing and their results will reflect this, too.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  2. Hack-Tech

Hack-Tech Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft had got 99% of their revenue. Pretty decent!

Hack-Tech, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  3. williammfelix

williammfelix Peon

Best Answers:
    Ouch that might be hurt. Even a big company trying to 'play' the system huh?

williammfelix, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  4. xirftwx

xirftwx Peon

Best Answers:
    Poor microsoft, whenever they try to make anything that competes with something that is completely dominated by another company, it fails. Examples: Google, Zune, etc.

xirftwx, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  5. bk871

bk871 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ouch, how would they think that they could get away with it, when they're so watched worldwide?

bk871, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  6. Spect3r

Spect3r Peon

Best Answers:
    How can they be that stupid for god sake?

Spect3r, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  7. TravisG

TravisG Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's because they are so big, MS thought they could be stupid.

TravisG, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  8. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    corporate idiots are worrying about their market share instead of user experience. but that's not surprising considering it's Microsoft.

YugoSlavac, Jun 13, 2010 IP
  9. DailyCashSaver

DailyCashSaver Active Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft cheating? anybody really suprise? Money is the key here they dont care about anything else.

DailyCashSaver, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  10. manofwar

manofwar Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call this cheating since most people who are looking for info would type it in anyhow. I'd call it a bout of stupidity to go in such a route when you can hire top talent in the world and develop the best things , but choose to sidetrack and make foolish moves to hinder your own business. I guess when you get that big, things do fall apart.

manofwar, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  11. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the point. They weren't looking for the info. They created articles about subjects which had a subtitle giving the impression it was a side article when all it would do was do a Bing search.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  12. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    MS probably copied the idea from a small company thinking it to be a great way to increase the stats... without realizing that it being a big company, is being watched and scrutinized all the time!
    There are certain things... which are best avoided, when in limelight! :eek:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  13. Techmafia

Techmafia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Microsoft is microsoft....it is so popular...yet it makes us feel down every time a new thing comes up :(

Techmafia, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  14. jjpmarketing

jjpmarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I have noticed this for a long time now. All their sites are plastered with those, but if you pay close attention they aren't really cheating as they label them as such: "Hot Bing Searches, Top Bing Searches" etc. They may be trying to skew the results of market share, but it never fails Bing, MSN, Live (whatever the title of the month is) is never going to be better than Google.

Google got search right because they focused entirely on the user experience. That is why Gmail kicks hotmails ***. Less latency, better features especially filtering.

That is why Google.com is a far better than MSN.com. Google.com is lightweight and has no ads... until you search but of course they aren't in your face ads. MSN.com is bogged down with in your face ads that are annoying. How many times have you been to MSN.com and can't look at what's on the page because some crazy survey ad pops up in your face or some car ad covers the text on the page?

What about video? I have tried to view several MSN videos and it gave me the internet equivalent of the blue screen of death. "this video is not available". Never had that problem with YouTube.

Google has locked down the webosphere. Microsoft has locked down the OS-Realm. Apple has locked down the Mp3 players.

Or have they? Just wait until you see the Android Tablets start making their way to your part of the world. Android is the first time ever that Linux has had a fighting chance against Windows. They very well may give both Apple and Microsoft a run for their money in each of their market specialties.

jjpmarketing, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  15. Techmafia

Techmafia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Facebook has locked socialnetworking,youtube has locked the online video

and so on...its now just a monopoly kinda thing in respective section....until somereally great comes up...microsoft tried with bing...

Techmafia, Jun 15, 2010 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Unless they were changed, they were NOT labeled as such. They were disguised as articles with continuing side articles if you clicked on them as I already said.
    No. Android is for mobile devices though mobile may become a bigger market than the desktop. Android is not a one-for-one equivalent for Linux though it is based on Linux. An Android user won't automatically become a LInux user or expert any more than a Mac user is a Unix user just because OSX is Unix.

Now, ChromeOS may be a different story but ChromeOS and Android may meld together to become one and the same some day.

drhowarddrfine, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  17. 24788

24788 Peon

Best Answers:
    Bing is a joke still against Google, so I can see why it's happening.

24788, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  18. checkblog

checkblog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think bind needs to work do prove itself.

checkblog, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  19. focused

focused Guest

Best Answers:
    honestly, i have never used bing so i am not totally concerned,

but this practice is so unethical!

focused, Jun 16, 2010 IP
  20. Crew Chief 007

Crew Chief 007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    This tactic was an attempt by Bing to inflate the numbers and give the impression to advertisers and Internet Marketers that they were quickly gaining market share on Google. Now that they got caught red handed, get ready for their next wave of B-l-a-c-k H-a-t strategies.

They are going to start posting links on IM forums; once a person clicks that link, they'll be taken to the picturesque Bing SE. Once they arrive, they will unwittingly click a link that will permanently change their default SE to BING.:confused:

[I]That’s a problem, because people reading search engine market data may not realize the numbers combine typed-in searches with the additional search links being added by companies.[/I]
    Code (markup):

Crew Chief 007, Jun 16, 2010 IP