1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Any way to put target: _blank in the CSS

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Lilyz, Mar 7, 2007.

1. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you were webmaster on a site I owned, I'd fire you for that attitude.

kk5st, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  2. XanderCrews

XanderCrews Peon

Best Answers:
    And I say that if for some reason a rogue visitor is offended by the proper use of popups and new windows, then they can leave. You can't design for 100% of your visitors...especially the few who think they know good layout and design, but do not. I'd rather appeal to the 95% of my audience that appreciates good design than try to appeal to the 5% that doesn't have a clue and then piss off the other 95%.

If I were on a site that was designed by someone who didn't care about the visitor's experience and blindly did away with any and all popups and new windows just because some yahoo said they were evil and shouldn't be used under any circumstances...I'd be annoyed...and I'd be less likely to return.

Proper use of popups and new windows can enhance the visitor's experience on the site. So why shouldn't they be used???

XanderCrews, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  3. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't you read what I quoted? It was not about pop-ups or whatever, it was about putting yourself ahead of the customer. Don't put words in my mouth. Read it again:
    I don't want you standing at the door, telling every twentieth customer to haul ass.

As a matter of fact, I am not against all pop-ups. Help boxes or expanded product info are likely examples of alright uses, though there are better ways to do it that won't alienate that 5% of visitors you don't like.

gary

kk5st, Jun 7, 2010 IP
  4. XanderCrews

XanderCrews Peon

Best Answers:
    Who said I was telling customers to haul ass? I was telling a member of this forum that it is impossible to design for 100% of the population. You have to design for as many as possible and the remaining whatever % is going to have to live with it or go elsewhere.
    And I'm sorry, but if you are trying to tell me that everything you do appeals to 100% of the visitors of all of your sites, then you are a liar.

I'm just being a realist here.

The customer is not always right. You know this and I know this. You can't design for 100% of the people. So you do the best you can and you'll still probably not appeal to at least 5% (probably more), so you live with it and say to that 5%, "If you don't like what we are doing, well...we're sorry you feel that way, but we are doing what we think is right for our customer base." (NOTE: You won't actually say this to customers, I'm being facetious...I feel I have to say this since you took me literal last time.)

If you're not against all pop-ups, then why the F are you arguing?

XanderCrews, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  5. kk5st

kk5st Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    @ XanderCrews:

Learn to read

kk5st, Jun 8, 2010 IP
  6. XanderCrews

XanderCrews Peon

Best Answers:
    Take your own advice reread what I said and try to understand what I am saying.
    I take issue with those who are against all popups and new windows, regardless of usage. I know you are not one of those people, but you chimed in, so I am responding to you. There is a time and a place for popups and new windows. If you agree with that, then quit pushing buttons.

I also took issue with you saying that I am "standing at the door telling every 20th customer to haul ass"...which isn't what I am doing at all. That's ridiculous. (but if 19 out of every 20 people like my site, then that's great...I'll take those numbers any day of the week)

I design my sites with the user's best interest in mind. And if it is in their best interest and is part of good design to have strategic popups or new windows, then I'm going to design my site that way. It's not my fault the user may not realize that sometimes popups and new windows can be part of good design.

We both know that customers are not always right...so therefore it is impossible to design for 100% of the population and please 100% of your visitors...it can't be done.
    I've dealt with clients who have retained my web design services who have nixed a great design I came up with and they wanted the site redesigned and told me how they wanted it...and it was awful, but they liked it...so that's what they got even though I strongly suggested otherwise.

XanderCrews, Jun 9, 2010 IP
  7. johagulo

johagulo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. It has to be done in html

johagulo, Jun 12, 2010 IP
  8. Stomme poes

Stomme poes Peon

Best Answers:
    I am the visitor. It's MY browser. This is why popup blockers and tabbed browsing were created. To give peons like me control. Who should have control? ME. I clicked that hyperlink to your site.

A great way to ask for help, ESR would be proud. So for that, I'll tell you how to do it.

Use Javascript. Don't bother doing a window.open() and then trying to remove all the browser garbage. Instead, have your info boxes as divs already created as the page is pulled up by the server, with a class that holds them offscreen (so Javascript just removes the class to make them appear). This way, users of screen readers too old to know how to update their virtual buffers (like anything under JAWS 9) will have access to the content either way, as opposed to creating the elements on the fly. Even better is to just have the info sitting on the page (say, under each feed section or something) by default, and then let Javascript take them offscreen, so when I get to the page (I don't have Javascript), I have access to the information too. If the user can't tell the difference, regardless of browser or software or scripts, you did it right. You can style these divs any way you want, which gives you pretty much full expression.

I use CSS for info boxes, but I can do this with CSS because the HTML is static. I'm recommending you use Javascript because in your case it's not, and because CSS doesn't work "on click" except in the browsers who leave focus behind after a click (safari and chrome don't). Unless these are really small little info boxes, in which case people may expect tooltip behaviour (so, on :hover/mouseover and focus). Choose whichever makes most sense for your data.
    If you're using some sort of template with your back end, you could conceivably do it with just CSS (hover/focus only) for moving the boxes offscreen and back with CSS, but I started my answer assuming you couldn't do that. If you can get away with just CSS, use that. Javascript popups are easier for popup blockers to block, and work like shit on mobiles and don't work at all on my browsers. Again, "on click" needs JS. You could use a combination of both as well.

I have also dealt with such people (one of my bosses asked if our insurance sites could be all-Flash like http://oilily.nl haha). They have never heard of accessibility, usability, and they are asking for a web site for themselves, not for their visitors. Wheelchair ramps, so ugly, get rid of them. YOU are the professional. Educate them. That's partially what they're paying you for... otherwise, I'm sure they know someone who's got a nephew with a copy of FrontPage 6 who can do it for them for a few bucks. But they hired YOU, the professional.

Stomme poes, Jun 14, 2010 IP
  9. justyellowboy

justyellowboy Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh no, a rude individual on the Internet! Let's have a shouting match about how he's wrong about everything he said! Oh, by the way,
    Yes, we take so much pride in how Godly we are looking down and smiting the poor "n00bs" when they want help. Can't you see, guys? This is a moment of clarity from XanderCrews! We aren't helping those who ask because we want their sites to be better in the best practice's definition, we want to offer help so stupid, clueless victims can be crushed with our terrible e-pingases! Tell you what, Xander, I will accept my ways and, just for you, blatantly be one of these cruel and hateful Overlords that you fear so much, you oppressed soul. And by blatantly be, I mean act like every other contributing member in this thread. Wait, that isn't your idea? Sorry, I guess I'm not appealing to someone in that 5%. Too bad, dude! While I'm at it, I'll PG-tize it, too, just for the kids!

Oh, ho ho! We have here a fighter! How clever, insightful, and colorful, "says you." Wow! I could never think of that and type it down! Mostly because I'm not a half-witted, lazy, uppity, and obnoxious brat!

Yeah, who gives a flipping bird about standards? They're just established to keep the man down and disrespect our Freedom!

I laughed so hard. Say that to a customers at your Best Buy, slacker. I dare you. I dare you, ha ha ha! DO IT! Watch their faces!

Because pop-ups are oh so pleasant. But, really, kid, there are better ways to display information than a pop-up. Haven't you heard of an anchor? Put some references at the bottom of your article and anchor it, that isn't hard and it's much more accessible. Say, what were you using pop-ups for, again?
    Oh, you wheelchair-shoving jerk. You sacrifice the viewing experiences of handicapped STUDENTS, and for what? A link to details. Details. You know, when people want to know the details of something from the main article, like an event's details, they want to see it. They don't want to fiddle with the window management. Details too small to be convenient for your viewers? Dedicate a page to events, each event with a small detail paragraph underneath. Once again, not hard, more accessible. Not pretty enough? Take a Playtex. Webmasters aren't specifically supposed to be artists all the damn time. They're engineers. They get the work done and work with what they have. Geniuses would take this and make it pretty while still accomplishing the goal.

BACK BUTTON CRISIS ON XANDER'S WEBSITE! Look, dude, that's not your problem. There are add-ons for browsers to make browsing faster for people who don't want to deal with a back button. For instance, I use Tab History Menu on Firefox. I can just click on a tab like I normally do and it will display underneath it a menu for how back in its history I wish to go (or forward). Tabs are great when they do lots of stuff. Cater to the blind and deaf, let the regulars develop their own way of browsing. Trust me, we're pros. We know this stuff. I chanced upon this place and saw your goofy arse mucking up the place. It's shmucks like you who ruined web development for everyone, especially those who need technology to do the things non-handicapped people do.

If you were a webmaster on a site I owned, I'd fire you for that sentence. +kk5st

Nobody said that, and yes you can. Their preference? No. Their usage? Yes. Blindness and bad vision makes up about 4.6% of the world population as of today (it doubled since 2002, hot cripes!). Well there's your five percent. I'm not kidding, either. Way to go. Source? Oh yeah, simple calculation from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs282/en/index.html and don't you dare call me a liar.

Don't ever talk about the World Wide Web Consortium like that in my presence. They did the world the best damn service imaginable, and here you are, unaware of their existence, slandering their name and denying their credibility, pushing aside any notion that there's even a set of standards to go by. Jesus, are you just that stupid? Was your High School webmastering course just some babysitting kiddie camp or are you *really* just that stupid? I can't believe I'm reading this, dude, they have published standards to keep people's websites from being inaccessible and difficult to override for those that need things like CSS reformatting (colorblind), translations (I'd bet money that you can't guess what that one's for, probably 'evil,' like we're fascists or some other stupid notion), image resizing (for zooming purposes like SVGs, you don't know what that is? Hint: it's related to IMAGES), and blindness accessibility. Let's not forget people with missing or unusable limbs, like veterans or people like Steven Hawking (again. Money: You don't know the guy!) or else we'll get some idea that they don't count, or some other stupid idea in your head. That is not 5%. Oh, by the way...

You probably would take any SINGLE-DIGIT number of the week, you desperate undergarment sack! Up until 95-- oh wait, EIGHTY percent, of course (did you notice that it changed? Ha!) it is ONLY THEN do you suddenly stop caring how many people you have watching you. You don't want to provide a service. You want to be King for a God Damn Day (oh whilickers! I'm not supposed to cuss!) Way to wish, Jack, but no cigar. There are no cigars. Unlike your mind-mangling boob tube, the Internet isn't a show. But let's keep going, shall we?

But you suggested so strongly! According to XanderCrews, there's some sort of imaginary war, and by the grace of the xmp tag, we must crush the opposition! Contrary to what you said,
    It is your interests that are being considered. You don't care. You don't want to cater to the handicapped, you don't want to give any control to the viewer, you don't even care of whom you provide your service, you just want your website to do what stupid things YOU want it to do, and you're trying to tell me that
    I bet that your "clients" have a better idea of what they're doing, too. I use quotations because I frankly find it hard to believe that you provide a web design service when you don't know the first thing about HTML and its intended use.

You want to know? A relatively (quite the loose term, these days) universal, interconnected system of informational documents (being articles, research publications, or even a kid-friendly fun space) using technologies pertaining to people of all circumstances, using standards to ensure there is no confusion or incompatibilities. You can bet your sassy keester the reality is becoming a dream, and it's just sad.

If we had stayed in the pre-Geocities days where we had scientists and technically-inclined professionals developing sites, and we had software vendors distributing ISO-standardized Operating Systems that came with official guides on programming as part of the software, and everything was commercially (as an option) open-source, never proprietary, with little concerns on redistributing data and programs that came with it that made it easy to obtain other shared public domain documents and textbooks, and communities had de facto on contributing back to the world in some small way, even something as little as a proper text editor, and we all could make suggestions and improvements to our technologies with our established standards and understandable documentation of the code, somehow, somewhere, our future generations wouldn't be asking about "how to I do make the link 'appear' ina new box plz HELPP?!!?!?" but instead, "Hello, everyone, thanks for viewing this thread, I'd like to know if releasing obfuscated code is legal? I saw a program's source code and I can't understand it at all, it doesn't seem right, it's like they're hiding code. Gosh, how secretive, I feel horrible just thinking about it," THERE. Then is when I'd say "we have a better world of technology." Can't you see, Xanther? I don't care if it's pretty, that's secondary, dude, I want this place to be puppies-and-rainbows on the INSIDE, FIRST! I want the place to feel healthy, easy to access, educational and crystal-clear! The prettiness can come *after* all of that! Just consider, "am I doing more for others than myself? I mean, I don't have to, and it's my right to do as I please, but is it good that I'm only considering myself?"

In other words, FORGET ABOUT THE _BLANK. It doesn't work for everyone! Dump it! Work around it! Make a better alternative! No, I don't believe in using Javascript to get around this, either. I appreciate you, kk5st, for making an offer and going back after years to correct yourself, I mean that's dedication at finest, thank you very much, but Javascript is an extra, and can't be a primary resource for providing accessibility until screen-reading technology can fully support it. Xanther, do you realize how much it means to kk5 to help everyone? I can't believe you want to have an argument about this crap and think that it's so fine of you to put everyone in second place, and put yourself as #1. It's pathetic, pretentious, and self-centered, grow up. The world needs able-bodied people like you to make a difference and make this place informative and accessible. It's not just a fun-zone, after all. The Internet can be fun, but sometimes a web developer needs to be considerate and helpful. If you won't be either of these, stop being a web developer. You're here to help people and provide a service, as in a community service, not just a business service.

I swear to God, if you run away from this "evil post," denounce the whole world, and cry in your happy place, I've only managed to do half of the work. I couldn't inspire you to expect more of yourself, and I couldn't make you see your personal flaws as a problem to FIX, and I couldn't make it clear to you that you need to be a better person for this world than that. I couldn't make you into a person dedicated to HELP people, not just entertain. You might think that it's impossible, but the best of us do this every day, as a career. We get the real credit, and you're only in a pretending world, at the moment. I want you to be smarter, better, nicer, and wittier, too (man, that shoot-back was just lame). I want you to post something in response on this thread, a promise, that you understand that you are here on a new mission, that you want to be a good coder for the RIGHT reasons, and you are out to be open, helpful, and understandable. If you master these, then you can be an artist about web development, because we'll know that you want to make the right kind of website, deep down.

If you don't read this whole post and if you're a troll, as I almost decided to be in this post,

I won't give a fuck.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
    justyellowboy, Jun 20, 2010 IP
    robjones and kk5st like this.
  10. malindiseo

malindiseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you can use this [ onclick="target='newwindow'" ] instead of this [ target="_blank" ].

Have a nice day!

malindiseo, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  11. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    malindiseo - can you give an example of that WITHIN the css please

sarahk, Feb 17, 2011 IP
  12. malindiseo

malindiseo Peon

Best Answers:
    sarahk - I didn't mean in the CSS. To be clear here if the problem must be solved within the CSS then the answer is NO like you said earlier but if doesn't matter how you solve it then you can solve the problem within the HTML document by removing target="_blank" and replace it with onclick="target='newwindow'"

malindiseo, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  13. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure that, after four years, the OP has solved his problem and moved on. Maybe DP users should, too.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  14. radiant_luv

radiant_luv Peon

Best Answers:
    I think DP should hide post count, so people just don't post anything or everything to count up the post (most of the time that's the motive). Some sections (BST etc) has a requirement of post count (i think it's 25), I thought it's made in that way so that one should not just spam that section. but it's kinda backfire, people are spamming other section of the forum to meet the requirement.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
    radiant_luv, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  15. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they should just close threads after a certain time. Especially if there are no new posts after a while.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 18, 2011 IP
  16. malindiseo

malindiseo Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't understand what are you guys talking about? You know I faced the same problem last 3 weeks fortunately when i googled I found this thread but with no answer to my problem. After more research i found an answer, since am a new DP's member I search again for the same thread and contributes to solve the problem which was their for 4 yrs unsolved.

malindiseo, Feb 19, 2011 IP
  17. marhen3530

marhen3530 Peon

Best Answers:
    $(document).ready(function(){

var href = $("a").attr("href");

$("a").click(function(){
            window.open(href);
        });

//you can replace "a" with CSS selector (ie ".external", "#external", etc.)

});

Code (markup):

marhen3530, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  18. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And you can count on a DP poster to drag up this almost 5-year old thread which tells you everything you need to know about posters on DP..

drhowarddrfine, Dec 28, 2011 IP
  19. rlvassallo

rlvassallo Peon

Best Answers:
    .class { target-new: value; /* replace "value" with either: "window", "tab", or "none"*/ }

rlvassallo, Jan 18, 2012 IP
  20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    And we have another winner for the idiot contest!

drhowarddrfine, Jan 18, 2012 IP