1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ listings still important for website owners?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by P4rD0nM3, Jun 1, 2010.

I'm just wondering what you guys think. I've been trying to get one of my sites listed in DMOZ for almost 3 years now and it's sitll not listed.

P4rD0nM3, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  2. siothach

siothach Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's very important, absolutely

and you site must have good & unique content, no ads to get listed

siothach, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  3. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is worth the time it takes to submit and forget. I don't know what you mean by trying for three years, but you should never submit a site more than once. I have over a dozen DMOZ listed sites, and it has never produced any traffic (except from webmasters looking for links) and there has been no noticeable increase in SERPS. In the last few years, it has been greatly devalued by google.

mjewel, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  4. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Not having ads is not a requirement for a listing - I know, I used to be an editor.

mjewel, Jun 1, 2010 IP
  5. WebSight

WebSight Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe that it is still a value (though not as much as it has been in years past). The best advice that i have received for getting listed is to find the absolute best and clearest category and submit there.

WebSight, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like you have resubmitted your site, did you read the guidelines? They tell you not to do that and repeated submissions can get you banned as a spammer.

Did you read the stickie at the top or dozens of other threads where editors have repeated told posters that it can take from a few days to a few years for a review for a possible listing?

Anonymously, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  7. andrei10

andrei10 Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think you should get stressed by DMOZ listing. If you get accepted is good, but if you don't is not the end of the world.
    There are thousands of possibilities that could make your site famous and DMOZ is not the first thing to try.

I submited my site last september I think and till now it hasn't been accepted yet. I don't have plans to try to add it again, DMOZ is not a serious directory.

andrei10, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Excellent, never re-submit.
    It's certainly not a listing service for site owners. If you want that there are hundreds of free directories and many that you can pay to get listed quicker.

Anonymously, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  9. alviother

alviother Peon

Best Answers:
    i agree with you
    since i searched ODP and found many sites with adds specially adsense

alviother, Jun 2, 2010 IP
  10. BB-OM

BB-OM Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ listing is certainly worth the time taken for inclusion. Primarily because many other directories use the DMOZ database and that helps in the overall web presence. Also, the Google directory fetches data from DMOZ. So, a listing in DMOZ proves worthwhile.

BB-OM, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  11. Zack_miller

Zack_miller Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is very important for your site but its depend on your quality content.

Zack_miller, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  12. palpatine

palpatine Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've heard that their review process has gone down the tubes and is very unreliable to say the least, but not to worry too much about it as they are not regarded in the same light by Google as they once were.

A few days to a few years for a review, I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about DMOZ, submit once and forget it.

Good Luck

palpatine, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  13. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ hasn't been relevant for SEO for nearly a decade. It's like a legend that won't die.

I don't bother submitting at all, being listed makes ZERO difference. My most important site, the one that ranks highest for the narrowest set of keywords isn't listed, and will never be, because it's not submitted.

helleborine, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  14. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mine was submitted never got listed but now is part and being used as reference either by schools, tourism industry.

popotalk, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  15. gamechanger

gamechanger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then tell me what do the approved DMOZ sites and the approved dmoz sites with ads have in common that the rejected sites don't?

gamechanger, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  16. venturefox

venturefox Notable Member

Best Answers:
    To answer the original posters question: Is DMOZ listings still important for website owners?

No, I don't think it is. As others here have mentioned Google has greatly diminished the value of these links and rightly so. Dmoz in it's current state has very little value to anyone, except the editors that is. I have spoken with at least one section editor in the past who offered to list my websites instantly for a fee and I doubt I'd be wrong in saying this practise is widespread. I think the frequency of new threads/posts in this dmoz section is the most obvious example of how little anyone cares about this website any more. I also have little sympathy because whoever owns this website has had YEARS to freshen things up but instead they stick with the same tired and dated archive. At one point dmoz links were very valuable but the way the system is set up leaves way too much room for greedy, corrupt editors which caused it's downfall.

venturefox, Sep 11, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Here we go again, you know I can get you a top listing on Yahoo and page rank 1 on Google. I have a mate and he will do it for a fee.

Do you believe me?

And I don't believe venturefox.

Anonymously, Sep 11, 2010 IP
  18. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Here we go where again? What is it that (s)he said that was not worthy of believing?

Thus far it's opinion... belief is irrelevant at this point.

Its clear that Google has diminished links to ALL directories and have removed their suggestion to submit there. Do you have reason to believe that they hold the ODP any higher in their search? I see no reason again for any disbelief.

With luck, when they get around to finally putting out 2.0 maybe this will change. But look around this board, nothing but complaints... it really seems the ONLY praise that I can find here is from Editors... so again, what is there to disbelieve?

Hmmm... are you saying that this NEVER happens? Funny that they need rules against it, and it's odd that you yourself have said such things (that editors will be banned if they are caught). Then there happens to be all those completed transactions with positive feedback on sites like Scriptlance for ODP listings... so, erm, you don't even believe yourself here?

Indeed. I agree here... the thread titles alone on this board only uplift the value of the directory! *rolls eyes*

Better late then never I reckon... is this the part you are talking about? I mean, the ODP has finally claimed they are doing an upgrade.

There is more proof for this then against... so, erm, I've asked time & time again for the proof against, and time and time again I've pointed to things like Topix, those Cnn listings, Scriptlance, the fact that it only takes one meta & two of his/her friends to OUST any other editor, and on & on & on... yet you have offered nothing to counter any of these claims. So if it's a matter of disbelief, then keep deluding yourself.

The only truthful thing I've seen you post in a LOOOOOOONG time has been:

Qryztufre, Sep 13, 2010 IP
  19. viewcaster

viewcaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Many post stating that you shouldn't try to post more than once or you'll get banned (which if you still aren't listed what difference does that make?)... any time limit on this? I mean, if you submitted and after several months your site has grown and added content, would it hurt to try again?

viewcaster, Sep 14, 2010 IP
  20. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Care to show us those "many" posts? I have not seen any.

Agent000, Sep 14, 2010 IP