1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is ThisThe Next Big Thing In Social Networking?

Discussion in 'Social Networks' started by Shokoya, May 24, 2010.

Have you heard of FourSquare?

If you haven't, then you soon will. Because it's being billed as the next big thing in social networking.

And I can see why...

Because I recently used it as part of a marketing campaign for one of my clients - with some very interesting results

What do you think of foursquare - something to shout about or hype?

Shokoya, May 24, 2010 IP
  2. telesto

telesto Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that the hype actually makes it something to shout about. FourSquare will definitely be a force in Social Networking, but who knows for how long...

So far I haven't come up with any great ideas for incorporating FourSquare into marketing for my businesses with no physical presence, but I just believe I'm not far enough "outside the box" just yet.

You say your marketing campaign has "very interesting results." I assume that means they were positive? How much reaction did you get for your campaign?

telesto, May 24, 2010 IP
  3. Shokoya

Shokoya Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey telesto,

My client owns a wine bar in London. So we decided to 'ping' friends in the area and invited them to a '4Square Hour' during which all drinks where half price. As part of this campaign we also offered a bottle of Champagne to the person who could get the most friends to join them at the wine bar.

My client had a 425% increase in takings for the day - so I see foursquares potential.

Shokoya, May 24, 2010 IP
  4. Hotter_DV

Hotter_DV Peon

Best Answers:
    very nice site I fear first time and I make a account instant and its traffic and PR is very high.

Hotter_DV, May 24, 2010 IP
  5. Neural Vomit

Neural Vomit Peon

Best Answers:
    "Authorities" wont post in here saying yay or nay because they'd like to capture as much traffic as possible for themselves, but YES 4sq is the next big thing.

Neural Vomit, May 25, 2010 IP
  6. Ilya

Ilya Active Member

Best Answers:
    It appears to be, there is great business model potential with 4Square. I'm not sure that everyone will want to jump into the gaming aspect but the idea of Geo-tagging is huge. I used to work for a company called Neven Vision which is now integrated into the Google machine. Machine and Real World integration is the next big thing and there is bug potential in this technology as a whole.

Ilya, May 25, 2010 IP
  7. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wow that's amazing! Foursquare allows for the connection between the internet and the physical world - something we haven't seen built to this magnitude. Especially not in real-time updates which Foursquare does best at

Ascendancy, May 25, 2010 IP
  8. sri2k6here

sri2k6here Active Member

Best Answers:
    what actually Foursquare does?

sri2k6here, May 26, 2010 IP
  9. nab

nab Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey Shokoya,

Looks cool. Thanks for providing the example.

After reading your example, I do understand Foursquare somewhat, would you (or if someone else knows) be so kind and guide/explain some more (or the main uses) uses of foursquare (be it for offline business or online business).

nab, May 26, 2010 IP
  10. Shokoya

Shokoya Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey nab - as much as my ego struggles to admit it, here's a simple, to the point explaination of Foursquare that does a better job than I would be able to: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/27779/what-is-foursquare

As for it's business application - the possibilities are endless. You could do PR stunts, treasure hunts, etc. Right now I don't think you get much more than kudos for the amount of points you amass from 'checking' into various locations. But think about the future possibilities as a shop owner i.e all people with a certain amount of points related to a specific location get 20% off.

Shokoya, May 26, 2010 IP
  11. Shokoya

Shokoya Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm - my last post has really got me thinking....:D

Shokoya, May 26, 2010 IP
  12. blogger_sanat

blogger_sanat Peon

Best Answers:
    Could you let me know the URL to locate Four Square website?

I blog at seocheck

blogger_sanat, May 26, 2010 IP
  13. Shokoya

Shokoya Peon

Best Answers:
    Shokoya, May 26, 2010 IP
  14. FlightCenter

FlightCenter Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard they also caught those snipers in D.C. :) seriously though it's a neat idea but I see a lot of overlap with that and Twitter. It's essentially twitter with geo targeting methods.

FlightCenter, May 26, 2010 IP
  15. JCarter

JCarter Peon

Best Answers:
    . FourSquare def has some competition though. There's a site that's sort of mimicking FourSqaure, it's called WeReward. What's cool about it is that you have to take photos to validate your check in. Also, when you check in somewhere you get points, and that can be redeemed for money, or services etc. Regardless, on the advertiser's end, you have complete control for your budget. So you don't pay unless you get customers. And it's a pay per customer sort of deal. Basically works like CPM contracts with a Cap on impressions per day. No crazy contracts or anything either. jcartermarketing.wordpress.com They're in the finalists of TechCrunch Disrupt 2010. I break it down a little further in my blog. The link is in the middle of the post.

JCarter, May 26, 2010 IP
  16. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Foursquare is old news here...been using it for quite awhile now. It's a great concept but has glaring issues - the GPS technology is wayyyyy off and it's very easy to spam and abuse. I hope they continue to improve it as time goes on.

Pixelrage, May 26, 2010 IP
  17. feeyd

feeyd Peon

Best Answers:
    How many members does foursquare have?

feeyd, May 26, 2010 IP
  18. johnarcews

johnarcews Member

Best Answers:
    johnarcews, May 27, 2010 IP
  19. Ilya

Ilya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm afraid that going forward , we are going to see Spam 3.0. It's unfortunately going to be unprecedented as a nature of content and user neutrality and transparency. I have a lot of insight into this aspect building a mashup platform.

Ilya, May 28, 2010 IP
  20. jadeslair

jadeslair Peon

Best Answers:
    They are a little creative but not the next big thing. The site is generic, they will have to make some improvments.

jadeslair, May 29, 2010 IP