1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to get listed in DMOZ, the easy way. 2 days.

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by gworld, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed. "Corruption" can only exist if a benefit can be obtained by favoring one's own sites.

Some corrupt editors, and some ODP accusers may believe that a benefit exists. But most webmasters that have several sites, some in DMOZ and some that aren't, etc., can testify that a page or site can rank extremely welll independent of a DMOZ link, and that no causality can be scientifically demonstrated.

The corruption debate is a red herring, no matter how you look at it. It's discussing how many angels fit on the head of a pin. We should laugh at the so-called corrupt editors, rather than hound them, because they are completely deluded. Let them deeplink their own sites and ignore their competitor's submissions. It makes no difference. They may hope it does, but in reality, it does not.

The situation in Adult, which I won't get into, is a shame, even if DMOZ is nothing but an academic exercize.

Sure, the majority of editors, which are honest, volunteer under the mistaken belief that they are making a difference. And that's the tragedy, really. As they realize, slowly, that it isn't the case, they time out. Fewer people will volunteer. Given how few are accepted, and the "you're not really welcome to the club" feel of the application/rejection process, there isn't much hope for the ODP, and it will continue its descent into academic exercizedom.

Editing one site, or a thousand sites, makes no difference.

You ask: "So, if you get rid of the corporate control, democratise, even reinvent the project to make it more relevant, what incentive does anyone have to edit even so?" You know the answer. There is no incentive, unless, and I don't say this with malice, you suffer from OCD.

helleborine, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  2. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    The whole thing is a shame - there are some superb categories and groups of categories where nothing else out there comes close. I have already started "rescuing" a lot of the work I did (without touching the RDF - you don't know what murky things lurk in there and I'd rather be highly selective) - maybe I can find some way of making it relevant again.

brizzie, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  3. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Most links (of my so-called competitors) I've added to DMOZ have long time been on my websites and once I fix my website I plan to continue developing my own mini directory of relevant links and since my website is PR5 and gets 2000 visitors a day they should get some benefit out if it - probably lot more then out of DMOZ. ;)

Easiest way to help quality websites you like is to find a way to get them into Wikipedia that should give them huge boost both in traffic and ranking and there is also Google Co-Op.

Ivan Bajlo, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  4. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Looking at Wikipedia as an SEO tool and trying to find ways to manipulate it to your advantage is a far more heinous crime in my eyes than trying to spam DMOZ. Google Co-op might develop but what I have seen of it so far doesn't inspire me too greatly.

Best of luck :) I think you are probably right that it will be more productive than doing the same thing within DMOZ. And that is because your directory can contain lots of detailed information alongside the links, something DMOZ is not able to do

brizzie, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  5. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    Who says manipulation automatically has to be bad and evil? If you write useful article and cite some quality websites which you have used as source everyone benefits and nobody is hurt (well maybe some spammer who will lose SE traffic) - it is all about how you chose to (ab)use your skills and power. ;)

I'm actually deleting articles from Wiki because they have been copy/pasted from my website, I could use opportunity to get another backlink but I have so many already it is embarrassing. :D

Ivan Bajlo, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  6. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Ivan, sometimes you scare me. ;)

compostannie, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  7. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    oops, duplicate post

compostannie, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  8. helleborine

Best Answers:
    It'll be what people make of it. It is a great opportunity. That is why I decided to roll up my sleeves, and give Google Co-Op the best possible contribution I could. You can make it inspiring. You don't have to apply, just sign in, and give it your best shot. Are you up to the challenge? Be one of the contributors that make the Co-Op a great project.

helleborine, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  9. Al Capone

Al Capone Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Every how often do they "robozilla" whens the best time to look for them?

Al Capone, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  10. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Robozilla'd sites won't help you, they're removed from public view and tossed back into the queue.

Maybe you want to find sites before they're Robizilla'd away? Robozilla is unpredictable, no one knows when it's let out of its cage.

helleborine, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    And it isn't the only dead link checker. I used to run the Xenu Link Sleuth from time to time too.

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  12. Al Capone

Best Answers:
    your ever have any luck, i went through 70,000 domains in dmoz and no luck, is that normal?

Al Capone, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  13. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I had plenty of luck. But remember I was an editor trying to find bad links to remove not domains to buy. There is not that much good news about DMOZ recently but its lack of 404's at the moment is great.

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  14. compostannie

compostannie Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks brizzie, any little bit of praise is always appreciated. :)

compostannie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  15. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    As I said somewhere else I am in the process of "rescuing" some of my work, and ran Xenu Link Sleuth over the first 120 odd links, expecting to have picked up some dead ones. Nothing. I was impressed I have to say.

brizzie, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  16. Al Capone

Best Answers:
    Are you saying you didn't buy any of the domains? You just removed them?

Al Capone, Sep 15, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  17. helleborine

Best Answers:
    Why would brizzie waste his money on domains that have a worthless DMOZ link?

Now that would be a really stupid use of $$$.

Of course he just removed them. :rolleyes:

helleborine, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  18. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would I have wasted my money on buying listed domains at a premium when I could have bought new ones for next to nothing and listed them in the highest PR categories using my editall rights? But I did neither and it feels pretty good. Not everything in life revolves around $$$.

brizzie, Sep 15, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.