1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Will my forum ever take off?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by bootsandrew, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Lazybuttons

Lazybuttons Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unattractive, not innovative, and doesn't display what the site has to offer on the index or the forum index well.

Lazybuttons, Apr 12, 2010 IP
  2. rhino56

rhino56 Peon

Best Answers:
    rhino56, Apr 13, 2010 IP
  3. Nuno Brito

Nuno Brito Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like the site theme but the forum is not matching the theme. There are cooler themes that you can pick.

Also, if the forums is the main attraction then you should make it the frontpage. If you can convince your friends to join the talks - even better.

If you have the opportunity, get in contact with skiing organizations and suggest your forum as a location to promote their events and talks (this works well in small local events) to get more people talking if they see your URL as recommended.

Nuno Brito, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  4. bootsandrew

bootsandrew Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks i am now switching to wordpress and am wondering what the best forum plugin would be?

bootsandrew, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  5. JHybrid

JHybrid Peon

Best Answers:
    You need something that grabs people's attention as soon as visitors hit the page like a great video with some excellent content right below it.

JHybrid, Apr 22, 2010 IP
  6. bootsandrew

bootsandrew Peon

Best Answers:
    I am still working o the layout of the forums.video gallery. I will have the front page with our latest video and also frequent updates related to skiing

bootsandrew, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  7. dark143i

dark143i Member

Best Answers:
    use hide tag to hide ur content . so people sign up ?

dark143i, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  8. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to wait like 3 to 6 month maybe longer to get 30 to 50 decent posters. A few things that you can do to make you forum grow faster promoting it on the right website & to the right people, getting yourself and 3 to 4 friend to make like 750 to 1500 posts before you open the forum to the general public & pick a subject for the forum alot of people want to chat about do noy pick a subject that only you want to chat about.

DJboutit2, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  9. Sunflyer

Sunflyer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Everything can be a success. Its all about how much resources you have. Like money. The design itself is just a minor factor, but of course you must make sure you have an appealing design....

Sunflyer, May 10, 2010 IP
  10. DJboutit2

DJboutit2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Another thing the host your with needs to have good uptime & loading speed if you go with a bad host where you forum is down like 6 to 8 hrs a week & slow load speeds that will surely turn away people. Try to stay away from a free host that has been open less that 6 months I had found out the hard way 2 times in the last 4 months now the free hosting I am using is top notch

DJboutit2, May 10, 2010 IP
  11. FskCramer

FskCramer Member

Best Answers:
    I don't know what the site is but if you search on google. There are actually companies that will help you get your forum started. They create conversations and info which draws in real members. I used to have a forum that made about $5k a year in ads. It isn't easy to start out but once you get it going it's like auto pilot till you get boneheads that need to be moderated.

FskCramer, May 10, 2010 IP
  12. Bohol

Bohol Peon

Best Answers:
    A newly launched forum site will undergo birth pains. Are you willing to go through it? So be patient. The Roman Empire was not built overnight.

Bohol, May 18, 2010 IP
  13. mrwiippy

mrwiippy Member

Best Answers:
    Hi

A forum takes time though skiing is a very good sport and like by thousands. Im sure your board will pick up with time

mrwiippy, May 22, 2010 IP
  14. webcosmo

webcosmo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    birth pain, lol.
    man that was a nice comparison.

webcosmo, May 25, 2010 IP
  15. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    took 5 years for my forum to get where it is now and it still isn't huge. Then again there were management issues in the first couple years.

forums seem to grow exponentially from what I have seen, assuming they grow at all...Meaning that the first year or two may be slow.

Groovystar, May 27, 2010 IP