1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Using trademarked names in meta-tags

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by bob25, May 13, 2010.

I have a blog that's selling Amazon products. I want to use trademarked names like Sony, Toshiba, etc. in the meta-description. I know several years ago there was some trouble with using other competitors trademarked names in the meta-tags.

Is this allowed?

Thanks

bob25, May 13, 2010 IP
  2. boothjul

boothjul Member

Best Answers:
    Don't do it.
    Basically, anything that might be considered an infringement & you open yourself up to legal recourse.
    It's the same as Google AdWords.....difficulties in using brand names, etc....for that specific reason.

boothjul, May 18, 2010 IP
  3. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure that this is correct. Are you saying that someone should avoid using trademarked names in any meta tags, including the title tag? What if it's a product review? It's one thing to use a trademarked term in a URL or to represent yourself as owning a particular trademark, but if you're writing a review of a Sony-specific product I would expect the Sony name to make an appearance in the meta tags unless Amazon has a specific rule forbidding this.

davewashere, May 18, 2010 IP
  4. boothjul

boothjul Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Dave, that's fine.
    However, be careful.
    If you have a look at Mike Filsaime's latest site MikeFilsaimeSucks.com he goes into great length about the legitimacy of doing review sites for commercial gain where the trademark holder is commercially disadvantaged (not talking here about through an affiliate/JV scheme).

boothjul, May 18, 2010 IP
  5. davewashere

davewashere Active Member

Best Answers:
    But that seems to be a case where someone had used his name/trademark in the actual URL to make a site attacking him. That's much different than using the term "Sony Bravia" in the meta tags on a site that does a review of the latest Sony Bravia HDTV set. If the site was sonybraviasucks.com or sonybraviaUS.com, that would be a different story, but if the site is mytelevisionreviews.com and you review a Sony Bravia, I don't see what the problem is with putting that term in the meta description. Google Adwords is another matter altogehter. I would never recommend attempting to bid on a trademarked term that you don't own.

davewashere, May 18, 2010 IP
  6. bob25

bob25 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I just noticed that Amazon does it, at least in the description, and that's where I wanted to use it. I guess if it was Pepsi using Coke in the meta-tags it'd be a different story though. I'm just listing the brands that's available (Cannnon, Lexmarx, HP, etc.)

Thanks for the feedback guys.

bob25, May 18, 2010 IP
  7. JHybrid

JHybrid Peon

Best Answers:
    I would ask Amazon. They have affiliate support. Believe me, they'll let you know.

JHybrid, May 18, 2010 IP