1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CTR Over 100% - Here's How

Discussion in 'Placement / Reviews / Examples' started by ontheweb, Aug 30, 2006.

I'm sure some of you have seen CTRs over 100% from Adsense, especially with channels that get low traffic. I didn't give it much thought before but thanks to a little IP tracking the penny dropped today..

More than likely, a CTR over 100% is due to someone clicking on 2 ads from the 1 ad impression. ie. they're most likely right clicking the link and selecting "open in new window".

I believe if they left click on an ad and then use the back button to go back to your site, another impression is registered so you won't get a CTR over 100%. But if they right click it's possible..

So there you go.. it's not an anomaly after all.. :)

ontheweb, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  2. beredim

beredim Peon

Best Answers:
    that is probably the most useless topic i have ever seen here(and me bumping is almost the same useless...)

:) :p

beredim, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  3. velocity834

velocity834 Peon

Best Answers:
    also you cud just click rapidly really really fast and it could work that way too.

and yes this is a useless topic

velocity834, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  4. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Why do you both say it's a useless post? I would say that you both have replied here just to get your post count up.

The fact that a CTR over 100% is probably due to people right clicking on ads (or left clicking while holding shift) and opening them in new windows is NOT common knowledge.. I just did a quick search and look at this thread for example:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=133717

This OP asks about why they have a 200% CTR.. This was asked the day after I posted my "useless post".. so is it really that useless? :p I think answering a question the day before it's asked is pretty good.. ;)

ontheweb, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  5. instyle

instyle Guest

Best Answers:
    No, I think this post is useful. I appreciate such thinking and clearly addressing.

instyle, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  6. wentworth

wentworth Guest

Best Answers:
    100% on low traffic channels happens often.

wentworth, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  7. angellica2017

angellica2017 Peon

Best Answers:
    Keep your CTR below 50% and Google didn't notice that!

angellica2017, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  8. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you instyle :) I will continue to post anything I think will help others, even if it doesn't meet up to the standards of beredim and velocity834 ;)

ontheweb, Sep 8, 2006 IP
  9. artsky

artsky Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, this happened to me. At one time, got only one page impression but 2clicks have been registered. It is possible that such occurence were due to the scenario posted by Ontheweb.

artsky, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  10. JamesColin

JamesColin Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I got more than 300% for a few days with hundreds of clicks and not many page impressions, it was a click attack, I alerted Google, then removed the ads and about a week later when I put them back again it was gone.

JamesColin, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  11. beredim

beredim Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry if you got offended by my post :) i had no such intention

I just thought what you posted was common sense ...

my apologies again:eek:

beredim, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  12. vj_gang

vj_gang Banned

Best Answers:
    CTR over 200% hers how , right click on add and open it 3 times in new window :D

vj_gang, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  13. angellica2017

angellica2017 Peon

Best Answers:
    And that would be categorized as invalid click!
    Beware! CTR above 50% will be suspicious by Google and you'll get banned immediately.
    Do you read the Google's policies? They say that "clicking on the ads must not result in a new windows"...
    Keep playing safe and clear, guys! ;)

angellica2017, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  14. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Hi ontheweb. good post here, but I think if you click on an ad and hit the back button and then click again, it will result in same ad being clicked. No new ad / impression is recorded. Back button usually loads a page from cache, so it cannot be a new ad.

rosiee007, Sep 15, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.
  15. ontheweb

ontheweb Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Rosie :) As for the new impression being recorded if they click on an ad and then click back - you're correct :) That's why I mentioned right clicking on the ad and opening it in a new window - and that's the crux of this post - the only way to achieve a CTR over 100% is by opening the ads in new window (ie. the ad clicker forcing a new window, as publishers are not allowed to make the ads open in a new window).. :)

ontheweb, Sep 16, 2006 IP
  16. iwm1979

iwm1979 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think this would mean that you could be penalised for the user right clicking on an ad! The policy implies that you cannot modify the ad code to add a target = "_blank" to make the links open in new windows.

iwm1979, Sep 17, 2006 IP
  17. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a good post ontheweb; great follow-up theory on cause Rosie - no doubt that too happens whether through accidental click to an ad and then coming back to the site, not finding what they thought on the ad click and back-browsing, etc. .... makes sense. I'm not sure how many everday, normal Internet users are doing a right-click, open in new window command. However with popup blockers and such, many have come accustomed to "control+click" or "shift+click" to bypass their own blockers when clicking a link; the latter of which forces a new window anyway ;)

wrmineo, Sep 17, 2006 IP