1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IE 7+, Will I be out of this business?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by mahmood, Sep 14, 2006.

I copied the above from this address: http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/ie/ie7/about/features/default.mspx

So what will happen to a small guy like me who runs some adsense and affiliate web sites?

A visitor comes to my site and notice that I don't have that "green address bar", will they buy anything there?

How about adword advertisers? They wouldn't be able to continute because when the visitors click on an adword and go to their site they don't see that "green address bar".

As the result only big companies can go on and small guys will be out of business.

What do you think?

mahmood, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. phoenixcarpet

phoenixcarpet Peon

Best Answers:
    I guess we will all just have to change again. If you are willing to do it you will have a competitive advandtage.

phoenixcarpet, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  3. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good news for those of us who can pass the test.

mad4, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  4. picouli

picouli Peon

Best Answers:
    I think this is the most worrisome part:

Cross-Domain Barriers
    Limits script on webpages from interacting with content from other domains or windows. This enhanced safeguard will further protect against malware by limiting the potential for malicious websites to manipulate flaws in other websites or cause you to download undesired content or software. ​

Google *IS* another domain - for sites who use AdSense...

picouli, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  5. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    Only big businesses can pass this test according to windows XP official magazine:

mahmood, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  6. dreamache

dreamache Member

Best Answers:
    I would imagine they would make the distinction for services such as adsense.

dreamache, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. johnnyappleseed

johnnyappleseed Peon

Best Answers:
    But how do we go about passing the test?

johnnyappleseed, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  8. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    They certainly would but who would pay for adwords when viewers don't buy anything from them? Buyers would look at the address bar and if it is not green they just go somewhere else.

mahmood, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  9. technomad

technomad Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think there is very much worry. We are not your average user. I mean, how many of you click on ads within a page? I never do. I dont even look at them. The average AOL-using, mom and dad have no clue about any of it. Its the same reason Geek Squad can charge hundreds of dollars to do simple things that take five minutes and spammers actually get people to click. Unless there's some loud beep or popup screaming about security, I wouldnt worry too much.

technomad, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  10. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    1.As far as passing the test . i am sure most of us cant pass it reason is cost of certification will be very high and noone out of us will be rich enough to pass such tests.
    2. they are big brand and they are doing wrong to poor peoples like us .
    3. All we can do is Add testimonials on our website and try to assure our userbase even if we dont have certificate still our sites are safe .
    4. most peoples on internet are not tech savy . they donot know even what would that green sign mean . my internet explorer warns me number of times my data is sent to non secure place should i continue . and i just over look it and press continue expect same from others .
    5. if such thing implemented then probably we have to rely large websites for traffic . like give our links on various large websites and large companies groups . our website will have no value .
    6. what they are going to implement it ?

topaffiliateprogram, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. DonKon

DonKon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    we should sue microsoft for this.

DonKon, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  12. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    Govt. /Business cant do anything against public interest othwerise they have to face lot of opposition . So if it started affection business of huge number of peoples they have to roll back their decision. it really depends on how big warning they are displaying . like you can see certificate indication at status bar but its really small and most peoples ignore it . so if its small indication it will not affect much business .but if its big indication(gree sign) then its cause of concern . Can anyone display screenshot of the above warning on IE7. ?

topaffiliateprogram, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  13. DonKon

DonKon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DonKon, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  14. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    It would be cheaper to just buy a certificate.

mad4, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  15. mahmood

mahmood Guest

Best Answers:
    Humm...
    This is a hope.

I shouldn't worry now. Google and others would definitly take action.

But I don't rely on the fact that most of our visitors are average users, on the contrary that makes it worse. They would probably get a heart attack as soon as they don't see a green bar.

mahmood, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  16. thewindmaster

thewindmaster The Man with the Plan

Best Answers:
    I doubt it. I am sure there might be a setting that would allow users to let adsense ads display on a page but I am sure that would be turned off as a default.

Microsoft hates Google. The Big G is killing MSN in the search wars. They are definately looking for ways to stiff them. This could be a great way to do it. In the name of "security" Microsoft gives users the options to effectively turn off adsense and makes that setting the default. This would cost Google (and us publishers) Billions.

This is just another anti-competitive move by Microsoft. I sure it will get dragged into court and MS gets another slap on the wrist by the Justice department. Of course we would all be out of business first.

Think about it before you start relying on adsense revenue to quit your day job.

thewindmaster, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  17. MaxCartier

MaxCartier Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay well first point of call would be to download it and install the program then run it, I don't know why anyone hasn't already done that.

I tested it and it when I went to my own site that was running adbrite it popped up the box saying "phishing filter will warn you if the website you are visiting might be impersonating another website" okay that's fair, clicked turn on.

Nowhere did I see anything about a greenbar, nothing whatsoever indicating a site was safe or unsafe.

Adbrite ads show up fine.

Adsense test: works fine.

It blocks pop ups a la Firefox.

Other than that I don't see the problem.

MaxCartier, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  18. DonKon

DonKon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maybe, but the outcome might be big

DonKon, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  19. camp185

camp185 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

I would have to totally agree with this. So many people are clueless to so manythings. We just assume everyone is on track. I run a small first aid company for my main income, and just today one of my customers asked what payment methods I took. I mentioned paypal as one of them, and they never heard of it. Hello! My customer, and I both reside in San Jose, CA, where eBay and Paypal reside! Heck, my wife thinks she is pretty good with the computer, and she had no clue about google page rank until I told her about it a few months ago.

If a bunch of kittens ran up to you for snacks, and one jumped through a hoop would you only feed the one that went through the hoop?

camp185, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  20. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have websites with Adsense and I viewed them via IE 7 and there was no warning. No white flags here.

Where can I find info about this certification ?

eddy2099, Sep 15, 2006 IP