1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Answering Allegations about Islam - !!! Come And Join Us !!!

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by Postingpays, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Asslam-o-alaikum Warh matullah !!!
    ( May Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon all of you )

In the Name of Allah (j.s) the most benificant the most Merciful

Before moving forward I would like to Request All the readers of this thread to ask 1 Q'n @ one time and ask If you have some Proof of it. I am here to answer All the Allegations by your Side. Inshallah.

Now, I will start from the Most Commom Q'ns asked by my Non-Muslim Brothers about Islam.

Why is a man allowed to have more than one wife in Islam? i.e. why is polygamy allowed in Islam?

Definition of Polygamy

1. Polygamy means a system of marriage whereby one person has more than one spouse. Polygamy can be of two types. One is polygyny where a man marries more than one woman, and the other is polyandry, where a woman marries more than one man. In Islam, limited polygyny is permitted; whereas polyandry is completely prohibited.

Now coming to the original question, why is a man allowed to have more than one wife?

2. The Qur’an is the only religious scripture in the world that says,"marry only one".

The Qur’an is the only religious book, on the face of this earth, that contains the phrase ‘marry only one’. There is no other religious book that instructs men to have only one wife. In none of the other religious scriptures, whether it be the Vedas, the Ramayan, the Mahabharat, the Geeta, the Talmud or the Bible does one find a restriction on the number of wives. According to these scriptures one can marry as many as one wishes. It was only later, that the Hindu priests and the Christian Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Many Hindu religious personalities, according to their scriptures, had multiple wives. King Dashrat, the father of Rama, had more than one wife. Krishna had several wives.

In earlier times, Christian men were permitted as many wives as they wished, since the Bible puts no restriction on the number of wives. It was only a few centuries ago that the Church restricted the number of wives to one.

Polygyny is permitted in Judaism. According to Talmudic law, Abraham had three wives, and Solomon had hundreds of wives. The practice of polygyny continued till Rabbi Gershom ben Yehudah (95% C.E to 1030 C.E) issued an edict against it. The Jewish Sephardic communities living in Muslim countries continued the practice till as late as 1950, until an Act of the Chief Rabbinate of Israel extended the ban on marrying more than one wife.

3. Hindus are more polygynous than Muslims

The report of the ‘Committee of The Status of Woman in Islam’, published in 1975 mentions on page numbers 66 and 67 that the percentage of polygamous marriages between the years 1951 and 1961 was 5.06% among the Hindus and only 4.31% among the Muslims. According to Indian law only Muslim men are permitted to have more than one wife. It is illegal for any non-Muslim in India to have more than one wife. Despite it being illegal, Hindus have more multiple wives as compared to Muslims. Earlier, there was no restriction even on Hindu men with respect to the number of wives allowed. It was only in 1954, when the Hindu Marriage Act was passed that it became illegal for a Hindu to have more than one wife. At present it is the Indian Law that restricts a Hindu man from having more than one wife and not the Hindu scriptures.

Let us now analyse why Islam allows a man to have more than one wife.

4. Qur’an permits limited polygyny

As I mentioned earlier, Qur’an is the only religious book on the face of the earth that says ‘marry only one’. The context of this phrase is the following verse from Surah Nisa of the Glorious Qur’an:

"Marry women of your choice, two, or three, or four; but if ye fear that ye shall not be able to deal justly (with them), then only one."

[Al-Qur’an 4:3]

Before the Qur’an was revealed, there was no upper limit for polygyny and many men had scores of wives, some even hundreds. Islam put an upper limit of four wives. Islam gives a man permission to marry two, three or four women, only on the condition that he deals justly with them.

In the same chapter i.e. Surah Nisa verse 129 says:

"Ye are never able to be fair and just as between women...."

[Al-Qur’an 4:129]

Therefore polygyny is not a rule but an exception. Many people are under the misconception that it is compulsory for a Muslim man to have more than one wife.

Broadly, Islam has five categories of Do’s and Don’ts:

• ‘Fard’ i.e. compulsory or obligatory
    • ‘Mustahab’ i.e. recommended or encouraged
    • ‘Mubah’ i.e. permissible or allowed
    • ‘Makruh’ i.e. not recommended or discouraged
    • ‘Haraam’ i.e. prohibited or forbidden

Polygyny falls in the middle category of things that are permissible. It cannot be said that a Muslim who has two, three or four wives is a better Muslim as compared to a Muslim who has only one wife.

Contd ....

5. Average life span of females is more than that of males

By nature males and females are born in approximately the same ratio. A female child has more immunity than a male child. A female child can fight the germs and diseases better than the male child. For this reason, during the pediatric age itself there are more deaths among males as compared to the females.

During wars, there are more men killed as compared to women. More men die due to accidents and diseases than women. The average life span of females is more than that of males, and at any given time one finds more widows in the world than widowers.

6. India has more male population than female due to female foeticide and infanticide

India is one of the few countries, along with the other neighbouring countries, in which the female population is less than the male population. The reason lies in the high rate of female infanticide in India, and the fact that more than one million female foetuses are aborted every year in this country, after they are identified as females. If this evil practice is stopped, then India too will have more females as compared to males.

7. World female population is more than male population

In the USA, women outnumber men by 7.8 million. New York alone has one million more females as compared to the number of males, and of the male population of New York one-third are gays i.e sodomites. The U.S.A as a whole has more than twenty-five million gays. This means that these people do not wish to marry women. Great Britain has four million more females as compared to males. Germany has five million more females as compared to males. Russia has nine million more females than males. God alone knows how many million more females there are in the whole world as compared to males.

8. Restricting each and every man to have only one wife is not practical

Even if every man got married to one woman, there would still be more than thirty million females in U.S.A who would not be able to get husbands (considering that America has twenty five million gays). There would be more than four million females in Great Britain, 5 million females in Germany and nine million females in Russia alone who would not be able to find a husband.

Suppose my sister happens to be one of the unmarried women living in USA, or suppose your sister happens to be one of the unmarried women in USA. The only two options remaining for her are that she either marries a man who already has a wife or becomes public property. There is no other option. All those who are modest will opt for the first.

In Western society, it is common for a man to have mistresses and/or multiple extra-marital affairs, in which case, the woman leads a disgraceful, unprotected life. The same society, however, cannot accept a man having more than one wife, in which women retain their honourable, dignified position in society and lead a protected life.

Thus the only two options before a woman who cannot find a husband is to marry a married man or to become public property. Islam prefers giving women the honourable position by permitting the first option and disallowing the second.

There are several other reasons, why Islam has permitted limited polygyny, but it is mainly to protect the modesty of women.

And Allah (j.s) knows the best.

Postingpays, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    kasbati, mixke and saadahmed007 like this.
  2. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    Who's the chosen people?

roiei, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    mixke likes this.
  3. 121603

121603 Peon

Best Answers:
    good read, but I have to say that reasons 5-8 are not really convincing answers. just my opinion though..

121603, Sep 14, 2006 IP
    mixke likes this.
  4. Postingpays

Postingpays Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Asslam-o-alaikum Warh matullah !!!
    ( May Peace & Blessings of Allah be upon all of you )

You are requested to Quote me while asking about some Q'n.

Thank YOu.

Postingpays, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  5. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    I don't need to quote you, just want your answer:
    Who's the chosen people?

roiei, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  6. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Lots of copy/paste content. May create duplicate content issues with google. Have you ever considered writing your own content?

GTech, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. Red Fairy

Red Fairy Peon

Best Answers:

WTF public property, well some women don't want to get married, its all about the freedom to choose.

Q. why do women in some countries have to wear the berka? (hope i got the spelling right)

Red Fairy, Sep 15, 2006 IP
    mixke likes this.
  8. Cyrus255

Cyrus255 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Yeah.

So what do you think of Jews? :D

Cyrus255, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  9. lorien1973

lorien1973 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If Islam is god's chosen religion; why are islamic countries in the 3rd world? :confused:

lorien1973, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  10. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    islam isn't god's chosen, we all know who's god's chosen :rolleyes:

roiei, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  11. Postingpays

Best Answers:
    Well, Burka (Hijaab) is known as veil in English, the command to wear the veil is found in both the Quran and Bible. However, the reason for the command is different when you compare the two books.

Lets see what the Quran says...

So the Quran says that women should wear the veil so that they can be recognized (as pious Muslim women) and then no one would bother flirting or annoying them. There are other reasons given in Hadith but I am just showing the Quran.

Lets compare this with the Bible...

So we see that since the man is the glory of God and the woman is the glory of man then she has to wear the veil as a sign of authority. Her wearing the veil shows that she is subjected in authority to the man.

power authority, i.e. the sign of the husband's authority.

Source: http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commentaries/ScofieldReferenceNotes/srn.cgi?book=1co&chapter=011

Also notice what verse 10 says, "and because of the angels". A woman has to wear the veil because of the angels. What does this mean? Some commentators don't know...

Postingpays, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  12. Postingpays

Best Answers:
    You are welcome to this thread as well.

Is this 3rd world written In bible, Torah, Zaboor or any Sacred book ?? This is just made by the humans llike me and you.

Well, Most of the religions are same and has got the same History like Jews, Christians and Muslims as well as Hindus as they all believe in Prophet Adam (as) and Prophet Noah (as) and may of the prophets. This is just the Human who made changes accorging to his own desires.

And Allah Knows the Best.

Note :: I would likeid there is not more than 3 Q'ns @ one time so that I may answer them well. Thank YOu

13. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    I think you know very well who is god chosen people. There is imagination between the religions but I'm sure just one he's true.

And I'm still waiting for you to answer who's the chosen people in your opinion ..

roiei, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  14. Postingpays

Best Answers:
    Here you are asking for my opinion than I will say ::

The Person who accepts the words and teachings of All the Holy Prophets (PBUT) that all of thos since from Prophet Adam (as) to Prophet Moses (as), Jesus (as) and Prophet Muhammad (as) has got the same teachings,

There is NO God But Allah (the one and only)

Every person who believes in Onness of God and tries to follow the True teaching of even his own Prophet will be counted as a chosen one

This onness is also been told already in Bible, the only thing is who follow this and who don't.

(v) "I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgement is just; because I seek not my own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me."
    [The Bible, John 5:30]
    And Allah Knows the best.

15. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    Of course there is one god but he chose religion to be his favorite - which religion he chose?

roiei, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  16. Postingpays

Best Answers:
    Well, If you ask this Q'n to a christian he will say Chritianity, ask Muslim he will say Islam, a Jew will call jewism.

But Just 1 thing which is common in All these religions is One and Only 1 God and we should first come to this point and Accept this. As Holy Qur'an is mentioning Come to the point which is simillar between both of you and Us.

And Allah Knows the best.

17. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    Well you are wrong, there is one chosen people, you can check it if you want.

And I thinks most of us knows that there is one god, but he doesn't "welcome" any pray from any religion, just one religion, so just one religion is true.

roiei, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  18. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Was that supposed to be the answer to the question?

Blogmaster, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  19. Postingpays

Best Answers:
    Well, I think this is the best answer I can make as All the religions are Invited to this thread, and its just everyone's Ideas and thinking else I was broad minded to welcome all the Christians and Jews as well.

20. roiei

roiei Banned

Best Answers:
    :rolleyes:

roiei, Sep 15, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.