1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GoDaddy Auctions vs Sedo

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by domseeker, May 10, 2010.

I'm about to sell some stand alone domain names and a few established web sites. After reading a fair amount of forum posts here and from various Google searches, I've narrowed my choices to two venues, GoDaddy auctions and SEDO. I've heard of a forum or two that has domains being sold between members but the unstructured nature of that format is troubling to me.

What I like about GoDaddy auctions is their offer/counter offer auction method where you are not bound to an offer until you accept it. I like that in case I don't receive any offers I feel are worth it. However when I did some searches for domain names similar to the stand alone domains I have (no accompanying web site), the results I saw were not encouraging. There were almost no bids. Even more bizarre were several auctions looking for astronomical prices despite the lack of bids.

On the other hand, I did the same search on SEDO and saw several auctions with bids. So it appears that SEDO at least has better activity. However I was unnerved about some posts I saw on the web about "market manipulation" on their part, poor handling of auctions that involved non-committing buyers, and most troubling a $50 fee for non-fixed price auctions. Finally their WOT (Web Of Trust) page isn't a reassuring read.

I'd appreciate the latest opinions you have on either service, especially any gotchas or caveats I should be aware of. I'd like to move these items quickly and feel confident that if a transaction is established I'll get paid with a minimum of trouble.

Thanks.

domseeker, May 10, 2010 IP
  2. Codbox

Codbox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Godaddy, Sedo or any such services it may be, all these sites are trying to sell domains owned by them and of course they will give more exposure to those domains. As this is the case, in my opinion one should try ebay too. I like ebay's featured listing as they need payment only after the domain sells.

Codbox, May 11, 2010 IP
  3. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    they are good for good keyword domains. but established sites u can look in flippa.com

chandan123, May 11, 2010 IP
  4. link4gold

link4gold Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a site up for auction on Sedo ,and have gotten an offer, but found they are charging close to $60 for the fees. Anyone know a way to increase visibility or traffic for my domain, in order to increase the bidding rates? I have it parked with Sedo now, would it help if I designed content and hosted a site or is that a waste of time? The site is www.after2012.com "What happens after 2012?"
    Thanks for the feedback.

link4gold, May 14, 2010 IP
  5. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    whats the bid ? they chanrge min 50$ for auctioning or 10% whichever is more ;)

u can try with fixed listing which may help

chandan123, May 14, 2010 IP
  6. Codbox

Codbox Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try fixed listing together with domain parking. So that u will be charged only 10% and no minimum commission

Codbox, May 18, 2010 IP
  7. link4gold

link4gold Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice,
    Thanks for the advice.. I have already recieved a $600 offer, but I think this site is worth more. I was wondering if it would be better to build a site around it, instead of parking it with SEDO.
    Thanks

link4gold, May 21, 2010 IP
  8. crumblepie

crumblepie Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you're not going to be developing the domain within the next few years, I'd say accept the offer. If you don't feel like developing it now I don't think you ever will. Sometimes domains that are worth $600 are worth the same after developing them.

crumblepie, May 27, 2010 IP
  9. ForgottenMemorie

ForgottenMemorie Member

Best Answers:
    I stupidly bought Godaddy auctions access, and its crap didnt even sell one domain listed for 1 year. I would try sedo plus its free.

ForgottenMemorie, May 28, 2010 IP