1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long to get indexed in google

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Plantation, Sep 14, 2006.

I submitted my site to google and yahoo weeks ago and no luck yet. What is the best way to get listed in these search engines.

Can one also send a letter, fax, email request etc. Thanks.

Plantation, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  2. blazinCrazy

blazinCrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to submit your sites to Google and Yahoo to get indexed, in fact I haven't done it since I built my first website (which was probably 500 websites ago :) )

To get indexed you just need to get some links pointing to your site. It can take a while for Google to give you a deep crawl and index all of your pages so to speed it up be sure you have a sitemap and get some links to your inner pages as well.

Also, forget about faxing, emailing or sending a letter to google. If you have unique content and some links you'll get indexed soon enough.

blazinCrazy, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  3. bruce2341

bruce2341 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have this problem too. Some programer friends of mine told me its all about unique traffic the more you get the fast and higher you will be placed on google.

bruce2341, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  4. MaverickConcepts

MaverickConcepts Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all about PR! :p

Like blazinCraxy said, get links to your site. The best places
    are those sites that are heavily crawled by google.

MaverickConcepts, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  5. Plantation

Plantation Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks all,

Some good tips. I think I will try them out.

How can I look into the logs of sites to find out if they are heavily crawled by google?

Plantation, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  6. jose17

jose17 Peon

Best Answers:
    That's good tips i had some questions of that kind too. I also thought that there was some process that one had to do in order to get indexed into google.

jose17, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  7. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    Post you URL in your sig and start posting here in DP and wait for a few days you will surely see your pages indexed.

By submitting to directories listed here http://forums.digitalpoint.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65
    http://www.directorycritic.com
    http://info.vilesilencer.com

you're site will be indexed and gain backlinks as well.Hope that helps.;)

Bondat, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  8. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    google is being a real b*tch as of lately when trying to get indexed.

I *am* in some good directories... but get this, google has me cached, but NOT indexed. wtf!?!?!?

an0n, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  9. quick5pnt0

quick5pnt0 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't believe that can be the case because google has no idea how much traffic your site is getting other than what they are sending you and it wouldnt make much sense to rank a site based on how much traffic they are sending you because the large sites would get larger and the small ones would stay small.

quick5pnt0, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  10. rosiee007

rosiee007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Have you tried using Google sitemaps. You should use them also.. you don't know .. anything could click for you.

rosiee007, Sep 14, 2006 IP
  11. dhruv37

dhruv37 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Submit your site to quality web directories which are having good PR. and make sure that you site is live and all the pages link properly to each other.
    you should also submit your sitemaps to google and yahoo both.

dhruv37, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  12. Bondat

Bondat Peon

Best Answers:
    May I know how old is your site?

Bondat, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  13. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    Google will find you and index you. Just get incoming links from other web sites in the meantime. Put a link to your site in your sig if you can.

Hexed

hexed, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  14. JoebeeKenobi

JoebeeKenobi Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep - def get a link in to your site... the SE's will find you! In fact alot of opinion out there is submitting yourself manually via their own "submit URL" pages can actually result in a lower ranking and PR than if the SE finds it via links.

JoebeeKenobi, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  15. hexed

hexed Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually that's a wives' tale. That stemmed from along time ago when it was generally accepted to submit to google rather than wait for the crawler to find you, which took a while 5 years ago.

Originally, if the crawler found you without submitting, you could be listed within days. If you submitted to Google, it could take weeks or months to be listed.

I'm not sure is if there is a timed delay with submitting these days, but I wouldn't think it would be as bad as it was many moons ago.

Hexed

hexed, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  16. JoebeeKenobi

JoebeeKenobi Peon

Best Answers:
    Dohh...I've been listening to too many wives again lol :p

JoebeeKenobi, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  17. sparkimarki

sparkimarki Peon

Best Answers:
    You may find that if you put your link in your sig here, tomorrow you will be visited by Google and your site will appear not long after that. Good luck.

sparkimarki, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  18. Plantation

Plantation Guest

Best Answers:
    Hmmmmmm,

Thanks for all your tips etc. A wealth of information. But is it not cheating if one spends all day and night, possibly weeks and months looking for links. And if I did not join a special organisation like this forum, I'd not know about a secret cache of directories that I can use to my advantage over website owners that are not subscribed to an order of privileged webmasters. And if I did not sacrifice family time to get links, or foresake going for a night out to scour the internet hunting links I stand no chance of being indexed.

So where I have gone wrong is that I have not falsley presented my site to google, and if I had a lot of money, I could by my way in with hundreds of links. Or if I knew someone at DMOZ, I could muscle my way in. :eek:

I want my site to rank according to it's merit and content. Above lesser sites and below more worthy sites.

That way, I can look at lesser sites to understand good html and look to higher ranking sites to better used html. The number of links scattered and strewn all over the place doesn't sound to me to be a good method of maintaining an index based on who has more clout in getting links.

I've at least learned that google, yahoo and msn are not search engines but quasi businesses, run by clandestine businessmen surreptitiously looking to make a quik buck by pitching websiteowners against each other. :cool:

Plantation, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  19. Marneo

Marneo Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have experienced what seems like a very long and fruitless wait to be indexed by Google. Hopefully the advice offered by Bondat in terms of posting one's website's URL in some bulletin boards such as this will indeed accelerate the process of getting indexed.

Also something dhruv37 said in one of the posts on this page has me wondering about something else. He advises 'make sure that your site is live and all the pages link properly to each other'. I have several informational pages on the site which link only back to the home page and also are unlike the other pages in the site as they are htm and html pages versus the php pages that constitute the catalog and shopping cart, etc. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether I would be well advised to go ahead and retrofit these htm and html informational pages (like FAQs for example) with navigation bars thereby making them link back and forth to the rest of the site's pages? Is this worth doing? Again as they are now, there is only a 'home' link at the bottom of each. Is this anything to worry about in anyone's opinion?

It's incredibly frustrating to pour one's heart and soul into a project and see it hinge on such seemingly arbitrary details as whether one's site was submitted at the 'add your URL' page or crawled through a link but I guess we have no choice but to play the SE game. And then getting indexed is only part of the battle. I realize that getting a decent ranking will depend in large measure on achieving reciprocal links with pages already having a good PR but it behooves me to wonder why a webmaster would want to trade links with someone in my position when I've read that one should only trade links with other pages already having PR and of course, I still have none. I therefore thought it would be well to wait until first getting indexed before embarking on a link trading campaign but it now appears based on further research that not having any inbound links may be what's keeping me from getting indexed in the first place. It sometimes seems like you just can't win. Any thoughts on this? Thanks and blessings to all.

I guess nobody else is interested in this thread any longer. I'm surprised there was no action on this page subsequent to my original posts. In any case, my home page URL is http://www.acornpetco.com/.

Marneo, Sep 26, 2006 IP
  20. n.b

n.b Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is unpredictable. One of my blogs got indexed and cached in google within 2 days of making it. I had no back link nothing. My main blog got indexed and cached after 5 days I made it. I had its link in my sig here.
    Try posting at different forums with high PR with your site’s link in sig.

n.b, Oct 5, 2006 IP