1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Marketing a Web Development Firm

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Nanofied, Apr 25, 2010.

So I recently filed all of the legal documents for my web development firm Nanofied Productions, and I have been contemplating a bunch of different marketing strategies. To be honest, there is so much out there, and I really am not sure what would give my company the best bang for the buck.

I have a VAST background in ppc through my past ventures, but for some reason I feel like it might not be the best route. I would like to pick up more local customers that I can know on a personal basis, instead of my normal word wide customers. So I was thinking on possibly non internet based marketing.

I contacted a local marketing agency that quoted me $400 for a billboard in a local shopping plaza, and another $250 to get the vinyl printed. Is this a smart choice, or is there something better for me to pursue.

I basically have a budget of about $500 until some more money starts flowing in from projects.

Thanks in advance guys :)

Nanofied, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  2. chant

chant Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why not write-up a one page piece that you can leave behind at a client's that lists your services and prices and then do door-to-door to local businesses instead? It takes extra work but it will save you more money. Besides, if you get 10 clients and you're doing PPC for them that will eat up a lot of time. You are only looking for a handful of ongoing clients.

chant, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  3. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I tried it in the past, and it more or less lead to a lot of odd looks from the business owners. Don't get me wrong though, I have business cards printed by the thousands... and I hand them out like nothing. They really dont get me any returns though.

4. USOBlogger

USOBlogger Peon

Best Answers:
    In my opinion, SEO is probably your best bet; more and more people are turning to search engines to find local information, and it is far easier to reach top positions in organic results for GEO-targeted keywords. You don't have to spend much except time and you'll be able to find local clients. If you consider other traditional methods, you are spending more for less effective advertising.

USOBlogger, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  5. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Well I planned on doing SEO for my local area regardless... since it doesn't cost anything but my time.

6. 4dinnovationssa

4dinnovationssa Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Make sure all your friends, family etc. know that you're offering the services - they can bring in a ton of leads.
    PPC with geographic targeting
    Also try batch emailing a segment eg. local plummers, and offer to improve their page/run some advertising for them

4dinnovationssa, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  7. USOBlogger

USOBlogger Peon

Best Answers:
    If you really want to take it offline, I suggest radio in combination with your local SEO efforts. If locals are hearing your name while driving in their car, and seeing your name when searching, the combined impressions will have a significant impact on brand awareness. (I would even throw in some display ads on prominent social networks for a bigger punch.)
    Billboards are good brand reinforcement, but for a new brand I think it would be less effective. Newspapers are not going to get you what you need. Plus, people looking for web services tend to look on the web. That's just my opinion. :eek: Good luck with everything and I hope you have excellent results however you decide to market!

USOBlogger, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  8. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:

I do see what you are saying about the billboard ads, as it is hard to recognize a billboard that you don't know while going 65 miles per hour down a road. Though I really don't think I want to do radio advertising. I know in my experience, and everyone I know as well. When it comes to advertisements on the radio, we just switch to a different station when they play. So even though there may be thousands of listeners... they go away when the ads play. That plus the cost was pretty expensive last time I checked.

As much as I hate to do ppc for my company, maybe it is still the best choice. I know I can run a cheap ysm campaign and get results... but maybe I will try out adwords again. It's been probably 1-2 years since I used it last.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
    Nanofied, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  9. S0NEL

S0NEL Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Well, IMO the strategy you have decided is absolutely perfect. One should capture the local market first before going for the world wide customers. But, let me tell you, as the competition is rising and the companies are coming up with the new technologies and excellent products, you need to be much active and fast to compete your rivals. If you just concentrate on your local market then possibly you may lose your online presence by that time. No one will be waiting for you my friend.

S0NEL, Apr 26, 2010 IP
  10. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also am going through the process of launching a web development firm.

As mentioned, an excellent way to obtain quality clients is by word of mouth. Reach out to your friends, family, and connections with your services.

Another method is using Google AdWords. You can geo target where your ads are displayed. Make sure your website makes it easy to contact you.

I have not yet explored local advertising in newspapers or on billboards. Has anyone else? I could imagine that a major billboard would definitley create some new leads.

rmt99e, May 2, 2010 IP
  11. newaffiliate101

newaffiliate101 Peon

Best Answers:
    great info.

newaffiliate101, May 4, 2010 IP
  12. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Also I say that you need to get business cards made. Look official & create leads

rmt99e, May 5, 2010 IP
  13. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I have business cards, tons of them.

I have been running my adwords for over a week now and havent got any clicks in my geo targeted area. I am so far unimpressed with geo targeting.

Nanofied, May 6, 2010 IP
  14. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also just started a geo targeted campaign. So far in the first week the impressions are weak and clicks are almost non existent. I hope this picks up, I just added a bunch of keywords. You might want to try adding some more.

Where did you have your business cards made?

rmt99e, May 6, 2010 IP
  15. thomarv29

thomarv29 Peon

Best Answers:
    Using Twitter marketing software is a great way to drive traffic to your site and its free right now while its in beta mode... email for a copy of the beta version of their software and youll be very happy you did lol

thomarv29, May 6, 2010 IP
  16. hittjw

hittjw Peon

Best Answers:
    Nanofied,

Only Chant offered any viable useful information for local marketing, everyone else seems not to have a clue how to sell. If you want clients tomorrow, it starts by deciding which business problems will you be solving for which specific companies in your community, then approaching them through marketing.

It might be offering them a consultation if you find they already use your services, or an educational seminar on why these problems are so bad, or even talking to their trade association. Target specifically clients with money, through personal contacts, telephone calls, and mention in the publications they read.

You'll discover quickly that it takes much more than someone can offer in a simple post. That $500 will get you started strong, but so can an hour in the local library or scoping out new business listings. Btw, Most local business owners in regular businesses (who are likely to pay you money to do their PPC) don't access social media for business purposes.

Wish there was one resource to refer you to, but instead, go to the library and look for Jay Conrad Levingston, Dan Kennedy, or Bob Bly. Then on your way home, stop by the local SCORE and SBA office for help developing a target list of customers to approach for the problems you solve.

Sincerely,

Justin

hittjw, May 6, 2010 IP
  17. CarlDia

CarlDia Peon

Best Answers:
    Theoretically, if you have a "VAST background in ppc", why would you go out into a whole new universe of marketing (non internet) and risk blowing your $500 budget. You not only DO NOT have a "VAST background", you really don't know anything about it. Every thing you try has its own learning curve and learning curves cost money and time. You have a very simple, straight forward possibility at your fingertips. Put your "VAST background in ppc" to work. A $10 per day budget will last you more that 6 weeks. Then, put your time into improving your website. I would start with the About Me photo. It looks like the glossy of a Lounge Lizard at a 3rd rate Vegas hotel, or an advertisement for gay sex. This is not the kind of photo that inspires small businesses to have you touch their code. After that, there's plenty you can do to improve your website.

The reason small business owners give you odd looks is equally obvious. When you approach them, it ISN'T ABOUT YOU, its ABOUT THEM. If you had done a little research, looked at the small business owner's website BEFORE you approached them and said, "I looked at your website and here's how I think I can help you", this would get an entirely different reception. If you really want to build up local business, this is one way to do it. Handing out tons of business cards, "thousands" is just a waste of time, money and energy. Of course you got "odd looks".

CarlDia, May 7, 2010 IP
  18. rmt99e

rmt99e Active Member

Best Answers:
    Totally agreed.

rmt99e, May 7, 2010 IP
  19. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    I am not trying to fake people into thinking I am something I am not. I work with laid back clients, and I enjoy it. If people don't like my about me photo, then honestly i don't want to work with them to begin with.

As for my vast background in ppc, I did ppc 2 years ago on... and I know a ton about it. Its just I am not used to all the newer feature implemented since then.

Edit: Btw, an advertisement for gay sex? Really... grow up a little.

Nanofied, May 7, 2010 IP
  20. CarlDia

CarlDia Peon

Best Answers:
    Mature business people are in control of their egos. Your response is exactly what could be expected from someone who is not. Suggestion: change the name of your company to Lounge Lizard Web Development. Then your photo and your firm name would be a match.

CarlDia, May 7, 2010 IP