1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ even worth it?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BizPhil, Mar 20, 2010.

?

Is DMOZ worth it?

1. Yes

59.7%
  2. No

40.3%
  1. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    LOL. DMOZ is a group of amateurs who indulge their hobby of listing websites, so what's all this rubbish about it should have been this and shut it down? Says who? Frustrated webmasters who can't get their sites listed most of the time. Otherwise why would anyone want to make such comments, when it clearly demonstartes they have no understanding of the model DMOZ works on.

Then why all the shouting across many forums from RZ to here that you were not listed? ROFLAO

Anonymously, May 1, 2010 IP
  2. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    It's not really much interest to me how it works, there's so much back and forth and what seems to be disorganization and editors complaining about webmasters and webmasters complaining about editors...it just all seems so stupid.

I mean all the conversation I have ever heard about DMOZ is between editors and webmasters. I don't see or hear anyone else on the web ever even mentioning it.

As a matter of fact..all of the hype about DMOZ, is basically hype about DMOZ. A constant circle of people begging to be listed and discussing being listed...but nothing else about any benefits, or about DMOZ's purpose or value on the internet.

If I have to "understand" how a directory works, then that's just more proof to me that "regular" people don't either so then, of what importance is it to the average web user?

Not much if they have to "Understand" it. I mean....it's just a directory. It's a website with links organized into categories. Get real. That's all it is.

And if it's not important to them, then why would it be important to me ? Just to impress other webmasters? That doesn't make any money, webmasters are cheap.

Hey, I'm entitled to my opinion, I didn't PM you and ask you to agree with me.

My opinion is directories don't hold much use to anyone on today's web. It was a good idea that has seen it's time come and go and the only thing any of them are any good for is one single backlink, in a world where you need hundreds to thousands to compete.

DMOZ is not a tool for webmasters, it doesn't assist search engines, it's not important to businesses, and it holds no significant use for web users, it provides no statistical information..so what then is it for?
    And what's it going to do for another site of mine that get's listed, that it didn't do for the others?

I'll tell you what, nothing. It's a link. A PR 0 link. Those are free all over the web...and what good is a PR 0 link that doesn't provide any traffic? People don't need to beg DMOZ for one of those, they can get those anywhere.

It's just a directory and it hasn't been top dog in the game since AOL was #1...that was a long time ago...and they haven't adjusted to do anything else in the industry except sit there and continue building a directory that people don't need or use anymore.

JMO
    So to answer the OP..of course any link is worth submitting for, but it ain't worth crying about. It won't change your life either way.

And as for "Understanding it" is Wikipedia pretty accurate or is that all propaganda too because they couldn't get listed?

Most of the information and accolades about OPD are from 2003, 2004 and 2005. Most of ODP's partners or companies that used the data are gone. Closed up shop.

Here is a decent article about back in the day when directories ruled the internet:(Yes, it only takes a few years online to be called "back in the day")
    When Giant Directories Roamed the Earth http://www.searchlounge.org/?p=40. It was written back in 2005 by a guy who worked for Look Smart, and even back then showed the directory system archaic and no longer useful to most web users.

Look Smart, got smart and changed. They are now a PPC Advertising company.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
    hmansfield, May 1, 2010 IP
  3. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I have no idea. You have been the one complaining you can't get it listed!!! So why did you want it listed?

Agent000, May 1, 2010 IP
  4. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You two better come up with some evidence and show me one single post where I said that I want
    AMRAY Web Directory to be listed in DMOZ because if you don’t prove your lies, I promise you I will call
    you two liars every time you open your mouth.

I’m not going to invite you to use your brains to ask yourselves what is wrong with what you are alleging
    because I don’t expect you have needed tool to understand that what you are saying makes no sense.
    Instead I will ask you to point to one single reason why I am acting in a way I act if I really want to see
    AMRAY being listed in DMOZ

fastreplies

fastreplies, May 1, 2010 IP
  5. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I literally couldn't have said it better myself.

The belief that a certain directory could get you a higher rank compared to being in a couple of hundred directories is completely ridiculous.

YugoSlavac, May 1, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  6. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    So you didn't harang Rz, about your site not being listed?

Anonymously, May 2, 2010 IP
  7. lulabie

lulabie Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is good to make our PR raise up..but it's very difficult to joined.

lulabie, May 2, 2010 IP
  8. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Did you left your head on your night table this morning?

I asked you to show me where I said I want AMRAY Web Directory to be listed in DMOZ
    and to prove to us that you are not a liar but instead you pulled from your ass another lie.

Again, where did I say that I want to have AMRAY being listed in DMOZ?

How, I'm calling you a liar.
    What are you going to do about that?

:mad:

fastreplies

fastreplies, May 2, 2010 IP
  9. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It won't raise your PR.

helleborine, May 3, 2010 IP
  10. liebgott

liebgott Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I always submit to DMOZ. Of course of all my sites, only 1 has ever been listed. While DMOZ has never once driven a vistor from their site, it can create a ton of backlinks for you since their are so many directories which are just carbon copies of DMOZ.

Just submit and pray someone will approve the link in your lifetime!!

liebgott, May 6, 2010 IP
  11. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    What's amazing about DMOZ is that they have built a legacy on arrogance (in relationship to webmasters and site owners)...kind of like a nightclub that has a line out front that never seems to move, yet it's really not that happening inside.

I mean they have a submission page, yet they act like they really don't want you to submit.

A 12 year old kid can build a directory that has an auto response "Thank you for submitting" or a form letter "We're sorry but..." or "Congratulations.." but the DMOZ with all of it's editors and volunteers doesn't do any of that. But the most amazing part about it is that in this day and age, they don't feel that they should, nor have to because you idiots will keep jumping through hoops to be accepted...just like standing in line at that nightclub....you will stand there until 1:30 a.m. and still never get in.

I mean can any of you name any website, contact form or submission that doesn't send some kind of response? Just one?
    Even the U.S. Government sends a response.

I mean how do we even know anyone is even still running the joint? The site looks completely dead. It's never been revamped, updated, cleaned up...nothing. Dead and Spam links that were there 3 years ago are still there...hundreds to thousands of them. Does that sound like a website that people are actually tending to?

For years I have watched editors say, "We don't care about letting you know", "If you don't like it go somewhere else" , "We'll get to it, when we get to it", and "We don't even have to look at your submission if we don't want to", (not in those exact words) yet the desperation to get listed lives on.

It's actually amazing. I wish I could be apathetic to people, not respond to them, and basically act as if they don't matter to me and I can live without them, and still have them want to be a part of my websites.

That's not an easy thing to do...but just like in the nightclub industry, you can only ride that wave for so long before people start to wise up and realize that you are really not very important and your 5 minutes of fame are over...there are a ton of other nightclubs in town that are bigger, newer, busier, with better decor and sound systems.

Honestly, who doesn't get more traffic and benefits from Twitter, Facebook, Mahalo, and just about anywhere else where you can drop a link? Hell I even get more traffic from My Space than from DMOZ and My Space sucks (sorry Murdoch but it really does. You guys really dropped the ball too)

But the biggest fault with the way DMOZ appears to operate is with webmasters themselves. You guys only care about DMOZ as an SEO tool for your website and there in lays your problem and frustration. There is not a website on the planet that cares about your SEO and will most likely go out of their way to thwart your attempts to use them for SEO. So with all of the bad mouthing that one can do about DMOZ, the real problem is with the way webmasters view the directory. They don't care about it, they just want to use it for their own selfish benefits..but then again, that is the only role that a general directory in this day and age actually has on the web because the average web user, doesn't use directories for search or anything else...and the major portals don't need them anymore.

Last edited: May 6, 2010
    hmansfield, May 6, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  12. edith hadiansyah

edith hadiansyah Active Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are right. maybe it just because they run free service.
    even we are not hoping to get listed at least we can try to submit it.

edith hadiansyah, May 6, 2010 IP
  13. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I just did some math, although probably didn't account for some kid of variable but.

The DMOZ boasts that they have 4,528,586 sites listed and 85,345 editors.
    If every editor checked 10 links a day, in their own category, and those with small categories helped out other editors with larger categories...they could wipe out all of the dead and spam links in 5-6 days.

So now you tell me how 85,343 editors are so far behind that they can't review submissions quicker?
    Are they getting 85,343 submissions everyday? I doubt it.

Is it hard to control 85, 000 volunteers and get them to actually give a damn? Probably.
    This is how I would think if it were my company.

There are 8x's more editors working for the DMOZ than all of Google worldwide, yet Google has no problem responding to an email within a reasonable amount of time and I am sure they get a hell of a lot more emails ( can you even email DMOZ?)

So then is the problem that they are 'volunteers' and therefore don't work the same as if they were getting paid? Maybe. So then it would seem that the volunteer business model is completely archaic if they can't get anything done.

Just thinking out loud.

14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    Your maths is wrong. The 85 345 editors is the total numberof editors who have ever contributed to the project. The current number of active editors is a small fraction of that number.

Agent000, May 6, 2010 IP
  15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You sound like you know how many there are. How many?

16. webpig

webpig Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is worth, A new website accepted by DMOZ should be more easier to be crawled by google yahoo or other search engines

webpig, May 6, 2010 IP
  17. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying submitting to any decent directory isn't worth it, of course it is, but the rest of that is just old wives tales and folklore from the 90's.
    Any new website that is set up properly with a site-map and a few links pointing to it will get crawled by SE spiders. It's not 1985 anymore.

I just put up 2 websites with no SEO, and I haven't even done a sitemap on either yet and they are getting crawled just fine.

I don't know where you guys keep getting this stuff like DMOZ has some magical SEO powers. It's ridiculous.

18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I have no idea. I have no inside information. All I know is senior editors have stated many times that its a small fraction of the 85 345.

Agent000, May 6, 2010 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    That number is the number of people who have ever edited with DMOZ .

We never have an accurate figure, because editors only have to perform one edit in 4 months to stay as active editiors, so there are editors who just time out, but we do not know that until the 4 month period is up. New editors are being recruited each day and if some one does 4 edits spaced over a year, do you count that as an active editor?

This from the AOL/DMOZ official blod sets out some figures that may be of interest
    http://blog.dmoz.org/

Your comment about volunteers and their work does try to spin DMOZ into a business model and we are not a buisness, we are volunteers following our hobby. It also imples that we should be either esponding to sie owners or reviewing their sites, but that is also a wrong model. Editors use suggested sites as one source to build categories, we neither seek to nor are interested in trying to review as many sites as possible from the submissions pool. Most directories do work that way, but we are not interested in any value that a listing might give to any site, we are only interested in building what we believe as editors may be worthwhile to people who want to use our directory to search the internet. So we use our initiative, interest and knowledge to build categories and we are not a listing service for webmasters.

Hope that helps to offer some facts and dispel some myths.

Anonymously, May 7, 2010 IP
  20. webpig

webpig Peon

Best Answers:
    This is an interesting post thread. I agree with you that website without SEO maybe can be well crawled by some SE, perhaps beacuse you choose a SEO good CMS.

Today lots of search engines such as AOL Search, Netscape Search, Google, Lycos, and HotBot, they have technology power enough to develop a totally new system, why they still use ODP data? just for the ODP is simply a data provider, This is the largest value of ODP.

As an example,DMOZ just like a postoffice, letters (your sites) can be sent by it to anywhere in the world(other search engines or portal use DMOZ ODP data), then you don't need to submit your sites to the search engines using ODP data one by one.

webpig, May 14, 2010 IP