1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Where are you guys getting these high paying jobs?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by IoWn3rU, Apr 28, 2010.

1. iNET SEO

iNET SEO Active Member

Best Answers:
    No probs :)

Always happy to help. I have no quick secrets to getting work, but also maybe try writing some articles on writing and get those out there - try Boosh Articles if you want to get it into Google news :)

Andy

iNET SEO, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  2. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Now your are running around again like a dog chasing its tail. You have to choose. Do you want to be the best outsource writer at the highest outsource price. Or do you want to join the professional world, where you are paid for your skills.

With the internet, it does not matter what country you are from. It is what skill you have and what you think of yourself. I have just fired two sources from India, who had low rates, but did 1/5 the quality of a normal person. My $12.00 per hour then became $60 hour, and their English was below par. I am now using a source from India doing superb programming work with excellent communication skills. I have also found a lady who does research work for me. She is also from India. I am now sending her more work. I treat these people like professionals and they in turn appreciate the opportunity. In America, a waitress rarely can survive off tips. We have many many lazy people here, and even more trying to get rich quick.

So why do you think they call bum marketing, bum marketing? The sources you want to find work at, only want 10% off the top. Do you want to be a leader or a beggar among the sheep? Beggars starve, sheep get slaughtered, and leaders make the future. Pick a direction and stick with it - that is called determination. Everyone in the range from quality writer to highly paid "ghostwriter", or writer of respected copy started with determination. It is a shame too see so so many struggle, but I cannot save the world. Of my fleet of doctors, 90% are excellent, wealthy, and foreign born. Let the beggars beg, if you see an opportunity, realize it will take work to make it happen. Do not waste your life chasing fire flies. Maybe writing is not really your field. Writing must be a passion.

dyadvisor, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  3. Blue Star Ent.

Blue Star Ent. Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Because even a bum like me can do it. :)

If the OP has desires to write, he is free to pursue this, just like I was. I still write for some people, but am expanding to do my own site, since that is what I have been doing for others. I helped them to make their money...

...now, I am helping myself to make money. It is a world of difference.

A good point was made about "maybe" the OP was not cut out to write, but he ( or she, I can not tell from the information so far :) ) has said that they are a "rather talented writer".

I say do what is in your heart, because that is usually where your gifts are.

Blue Star Ent., Apr 30, 2010 IP
  4. greencard13

greencard13 Peon

Best Answers:
    This thread is a big help. I used to write for someone in Odesk but I want something new so thanks for sharing people.

greencard13, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  5. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    That is the purpose of a good Forum discussion. Providing the different ideas, outlooks and methods of value are critical. Think of them as direction signs. You can choose to start your own direction. Then again you might just find the one that starts giving you a little more direction before you move forward. Usually there is no 100% right answer. Also many people, including myself, may misinterpret what someone has posted.

If unclear, go ahead and ask a question. Hopefully you will get a serious reply or two. It is your life, and many of us would like to see you blessed with some of the opportunities we took advantage of.

dyadvisor, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  6. Link Hijinx

Link Hijinx Peon

Best Answers:
    odesk? I have made some decent coin through them in the past.

Link Hijinx, May 1, 2010 IP
  7. InkCreativeStudios

InkCreativeStudios Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Here's what I posted in another forum about this:

I'm focusing on writing, but you can probably do this with other skills as well.

Let's talk about finding your own clients. These are companies and people outside of Demand Studios and other content mills.

Benefits of Finding Clients

* You'll be aiming to earn more money per hour than you can get from the set prices of DS and other websites.
    * Earn $1000 in a weekend? $30 - $100 an article? Simple editing at $40 an hour? It's out there!
    * You build your portfolio, leading to even more money from better paying clients.
    * If you find the right clients, they'll stick with you, will pay what you deserve.
    * You'll probably work a little less and earn more.

Risks Of Getting Clients

* Some people will take advantage of you. Some won't pay, will want rewrites in excess, will talk about hiring you to write and then disappear, etc.
    * Work is sometimes unstable. Some only need an article or two every once in a while.
    * Requires constant marketing. You don't have to cold call or show up at businesses, but you will have to find the method that works for you best.
    * You're working with people who will scrutinize your work more sometimes, the soft-hearted and those that fear rejection need to be prepared.

Look for your own clients only when:

* You feel confident in your writing ability. Try reading books on writing at your local library or taking a course. I'm completely self taught from online articles and books from the library. (I don't mean basic grammar and spelling, but structure and style and how to put information together.)
    * When you have enough stable writing work from DS and other sites to sustain you while you're experimenting with this. Don't rely on clients until they are proven.
    * Feel comfortable with marketing. This could be as simple as sending emails and writing samples to the right people.
    * You should want to make writing your career path. If you're looking for just extra income or want to use writing 'for now' until you find what you want to do, stick with the content mills for flexibility.

How To Get Started:

* Build a portfolio. Pull some of your best work, or write some new, really great articles that you can share, or find the links to things already published.
    * I usually throw in a resume, highlighting my background in writing, some people ask for this. Add links to the bottom of your resume to two or three great articles you've written.
    * Have a price for your writing in mind. Don't take anything less than your higher paying content mills would offer. Otherwise, you might as well write for DS.

Resources for finding job leads:

Writing Jobs - These places list jobs, people published ads for writers around the web. These places are usually updated daily. (Writers are in demand!)

Freelance Writing Gigs is a good place to start, but it is limited, they visit a handful of websites, but they don't catch everything, and some they catch later than I'd like to see them. Here's the biggest list I know of so far: bellaonline.com/articles/art1440.asp

Bidding Jobs - These places allow you to bid on jobs. I generally don't do this, although I've had success with this and there are many, many people who do it, and find good paying clients. Beware low payers!

Guru.com
    RentACoder.com
    GetAFreelancer.com
    Elance You'd have to pay to use this one.
    iFreelance I think you have to pay to use this one, too.

I know there is more, can't think of the others off the top of my head. ;)

The other method I call "spamming". I send my resume and information via email. Some cold call, some send a mailing and follow up with a fax/email/phone call, etc. Use your comfort level, but you'll get better luck if you talk with someone.

This is where you contact companies that need writers. (Website owners, search engine optimization companies, graphic designers that need copy for brochures, etc., big corporations that need newsletters or ads, basically everyone.)

You pick a niche, you write a nice email asking, show off your resume (pasted in, not attached) and ask if they have any work available that you could help them with. Negotiating is a big part of this, so if you are flexible, you can get a great client who is willing to pay well.

This method is best, as you'll get gigs not advertised, and they often pay very well. You'll spend a lot of time marketing in order to get these clients, however. It is a numbers game.

Peter Bowerman's books and Bob Bly's are great for learning about writing sales copy and working with businesses. It's only one section of writing, and some like that type of writing. I think Ruth on these forums is taking a similar route. I did it for a little while, but I like the 'article' style of writing, I'm too used to it. Although if a business writing gig was thrown at me, I'd still do the work.

For a portfolio, some people do it differently. I had copies from newspapers and magazines which I scanned and then posted to my website when I had it up and running, with clear copyrights stating who the rights to the work belongs to. Most editors don't mind if you do this, if you intend to use them for clips.

If your articles are online, just create a list, with title name, website name, and a link. It may be hard to keep up with the many you have written, but if you do, it is a good enough portfolio. It's just a method of being able to select the right links or pointing to your website with your list of links, so an editor can read at whim.

Most editors won't bother to follow a website link, so linking directly to one or two articles, and having a select few articles ready to copy and paste into the body of an email works better. Portfolio is an older term that's often still used. Just a collection of clippings that shows you can do the job.

You use your list to be able to select one or two articles that match the website you might be trying to apply for. If you are going to write for an online parenting magazine, show them some parenting articles, etc.

You used to have to go in with a stack of clippings in a binder and show them to an editor, but these days Internet made it so much easier.

InkCreativeStudios, May 1, 2010 IP
  8. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    ANOTHER AD FROM DESIGN STUDIOS , THAT IS COMPENSATED VERY WELL OFF THE TALENTS OF OTHERS. I believe it is against the policy of this forum to keep postings ads. Let people earn 100% of their money. Sorry, but the poster, has already taken an offer of free assistance from me. Many people can not afford to pay so much to further their career by costly books or service that make money off them. I have NEVER yet reported anybody for sneaky advertising so please stop. I will clarify, as your fellow Cajuns have no problem understanding and complying. In fact, I know some and they are very honorable. The forum has a content section, where you can post your services. This is the place to discuss writing techniques, learn, and suggest NO COST ways to get ahead. I do believe you can also email, if you want to solicit that bad.

dyadvisor, May 1, 2010 IP
  9. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, read the General rules. Clearly it states NOT to cut and paste your comments already stated as such from a previous post. I am trying to hold back, but this has got to stop. READ THE RULES.

dyadvisor, May 1, 2010 IP
  10. InkCreativeStudios

Best Answers:
    One more time, breaux:

1. I am not a rep for Demand Studios. I have worked with them on article writing projects, just like the thousands that work for them. Why am I not being told I'm a WiseGeek, WordGigs, TextBroker, BreakStudios, or any other content mill place when I've mentioned them just as much? WiseGeek is great. I love BreakStudios. WordGigs is low pay but a good place for new people to start. Are you going to say I'm Bob from WordGigs, too? Because he may take offense to that.

2. Just because poster 1 gets free help from you, does it mean I can't offer my own tips for the poster and others who may be reading and have the same questions? Not everyone works the same way.

3. Where was I asking for money? Not one place I've mentioned so far asks for money, no ebook for sale, no program. They are direct websites that buy content. Content mill content.

4. If you keep harrassing me like you have, I'll have to ask someone to step in. I'm sorry, but you follow me around and call me the owner of DS and assume I'm making money somehow with these posts. Just because I had questions about your product doesn't mean you have to go on the offense. Do what you want, sell your ebook. That's cool. But just because I give some tips doesn't mean I'm decreasing the value of your product, as I guess you're feeling.

Maybe instead of hounding me, we can network and learn from each other. Stop assuming who I am and what I do. If you have further questions or concerns about me, you can PM me or ask me for a contact email and I'll happily show you what I do. (And so you know, I don't take on personal clients any more, I don't write for other websites other than my own any more, so I have nothing to 'sell'.)

11. InkCreativeStudios

Best Answers:
    The above is from another forum not this one, so it's not a previous post.

I'll let the moderators moderate their forum. Thanks.

12. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Since you emailed me and clarified, I respect your post. The number of people hiring trying to lure people in to low pay is high, even on here. Now that I know more about you, my viewpoint has changed. I would rather view your viewpoints, than rant.
    I do read the rules, that is one person has backed off, while another is spending his whole day target ever post of mine and 2 others. Maybe more. If you see a capital B & C you will know.

I apologize for reacting too harshly, as you know from my email response back. I would only change about too much reference to other outside sites. What starts on DP should stay on DP or email.

Please, never take anything I say to ruin your day, it is probably because I did not understand you. However, even when you make an excellent posting, there might be a sniper out there, ready to take a shot.

For those that believe me. and after our email and looking at some of your other posts I will say this:

I wish we had more people on the DP copywriter forum section like you. Your intentions are honorable, your experience level is very high, and your willingness to share is commendable. That is why I will be hitting the 6 pointed "thank you" star on some of your posts, to give you recognition.

dyadvisor, May 3, 2010 IP
    IoWn3rU likes this.
  13. InkCreativeStudios

Best Answers:
    No worries. I figured it was a misunderstanding, which is why I emailed.

Many folks may start out writing $2 articles, but if they're good, there's no reason to stay at that level.

InkCreativeStudios, May 4, 2010 IP
  14. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    Try Allfreelancewriting.com - the blog is designed to help writers who can actually write but who are struggling to move beyond content mills and the like.

As an aside, it is not necessary for any writer to work for content mills or for pennies on the dollar. While there can be benefits to working for a mill, it can also be limiting if you're trying to brand yourself in a particular field or at a particular level. I'd encourage writers looking into mills to use a pseudonym or to at least recognize that it might come back to bite you years down the road if you're looking at making this a full time career.

internetauthor, May 6, 2010 IP
  15. Kraven2

Kraven2 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have had good results with http://www.constant-content.com I charge a fixed rate of $ 0.01 per word for my writing, but whenever I need some high paying articles, to make some fast cash I snatch up a few requests there. Articles go there between $ 10 and $ 100 for 400 to 600 words articles.

They do have pretty high standards, but if you truly are a good writer you should have no problems making money there.

I prefer long term jobs though, and those I usually find here :)

Kraven2, May 7, 2010 IP
  16. andrewsegawa

andrewsegawa Peon

Best Answers:
    Write articles for sites like hubapes or squidoo, some guys are really making good money from them

andrewsegawa, May 10, 2010 IP
  17. Deminder

Deminder Peon

Best Answers:
    Offer you're services at some wm sites, I started as a writer and after getting a bug list of costumers I was able to make good money.

Deminder, May 10, 2010 IP
  18. MarkAndrews IMCopywriting

MarkAndrews IMCopywriting Peon

Best Answers:
    There is absolutely no point trying to compete with others on price alone, you must find your USP (Unique Selling Position), what makes you different to everyone else?

What can you do better than your direct competition?

Price your fees accordingly.

Charge what you think you are worth and do not be tempted to go below this amount.

I take it you're an article writer only, not a copywriter in the true sense of the word?

Focus on a specific niche where you know you can deliver outstanding results for your clients.

Hit those clients up, sell them on your specific niche area knowledge and your USP.

Be firm, polite and professional at all times.

The money will follow if you hold true to yourself and your success principles.

Good luck!

Mark Andrews

19. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Mark I read 10 lines, and I must say I agree with every single one of them. I have seen Mark's comments elsewhere, and what he is saying is not only true, but it sounds like a mini bio of Mark himself.

I personally appreciate his integrity, and hopefully the original poster can acknowledge the words of a true copywriter.

dyadvisor, May 10, 2010 IP
  20. Dracs69

Dracs69 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Have not gotten any luck with other freelance sites. But you need to take some tests/exam at Odesk and pass them so your profile will be enticing to potential employers :)

Dracs69, May 11, 2010 IP