1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is DMOZ even worth it?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by BizPhil, Mar 20, 2010.

?

Is DMOZ worth it?

1. Yes

59.7%
  2. No

40.3%
  1. Brian1970

Brian1970 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn’t cost anything so It has to be worth it.

If your website is unique you have a better chance of a listing.

Thanks Brian

Brian1970, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  2. JimmieS

JimmieS Peon

Best Answers:
    I have submitted my site(s) to DMOZ several times. The submit and forget practice works great, except I have yet to get any site listed on DMOZ. Although there are plenty of other High PR sites to get back-links from that are much easier to get listed on, I would just like to get one site listed. I know they have editors for various categories. Perhaps the editor slots for the categories I've been submitting to are waiting to be filled.

Has anyone else had their site actually listed?

JimmieS, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  3. reapr

reapr Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is an absolute complete waste of productive time. It is easy to outrank competitors in the directory on very competitive terms.

reapr, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  4. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Written by Ken Evoy, M.D., President of GoodBytes Information Products Inc. (c) copyright 1999 GoodBytes Information Products Inc.

I would assume that was actually written in 1999 as well. Have you been to Lycos or Netscape as of late? You can find NO references to the ODP any more... So thanks for posting outdated information to mislead and confuse people. I really hope you get an infraction for it, as I seem to get infractions for posting actual current information *rolls eyes at the mod team*

Qryztufre, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  5. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    How much time and effort does it take to submit a site? Do you have to hold your breath until you are listed? Stand on your head maybe? I don't get it?? :confused:

Submit it and forget it. If someone likes it, it might get added. If someone else doesn't, it might get removed. No biggie. Been there done that, used the t-shirt for a rag. ;)

CReed, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Next time I submit a site, I will take this as a challenge to see if I can submit it from start to finish while I hold my breath.... as for holding breath before its listed ...I don't think so

Agent000, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  7. chrkadmin

chrkadmin Peon

Best Answers:
    I have had ZERO success with getting anything listed in DMOZ. I am not talking about thin affiliate sites either. The fact is that if you pick a keyword and look at the top 10 using an SEO investigation tool such as Market Samurai, or that free SEOBook Firefox plugin, more often than not, many of the sites in the top 10 are not listed in DMOZ, so I am starting to wonder what kind of weight it carries in Google anymore. Of course, nobody in their right mind bothers searching DMOZ directly anyway.

chrkadmin, Apr 18, 2010 IP
  8. wm00.com

wm00.com Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is the best directory in world .. no1
    just like google in search..

wm00.com, Apr 19, 2010 IP
  9. W4nzz

W4nzz Peon

Best Answers:
    all most my traffic for google ..DMoz??

W4nzz, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  10. FinancialsForYou

FinancialsForYou Guest

Best Answers:
    That's really encouraging, because I heard so much about the HUGE value of being in DMOZ. I'm not and I don't know a good way to get accepted.

FinancialsForYou, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  11. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't worry about it Financials, spending the 2 minutes it takes to submit is a waste of time much like spending a whole week doing nothing but looking for pennies on the sidewalk. The value some webmasters seem to attribute to a DMOZ link is steeped into antiquated SEO traditions and has long been invalid.

Even if you got a DMOZ link it won't do anything for you. Concentrate on post-2002 SEO tricks and I wish you luck.

helleborine, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  12. AdamFL

AdamFL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course it worth it. something is better than nothing.

AdamFL, Apr 24, 2010 IP
  13. letsflycheaper

letsflycheaper Peon

Best Answers:
    So what is more important these days?
    I have been trying for 3 months now, I'm about to give up

letsflycheaper, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    What have you been trying? After you have submited once, there is nothing more you can do, so not sure what you going to give up? Anythong more than submitting once is likely to be counterproductive.

Agent000, Apr 28, 2010 IP
  15. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    Almost anything is worth submitting to, but I'll tell you what it isn't worth...all of this. It's not worth the constant forum threads, stressing out, all the bloody questions about "When?""How?""Why?".
    It's a fricken directory that I suspect no one even uses anymore except webmasters looking to see if their site is listed.

How many of you log in and then to DMOZ to surf the web or look for information?

So are you going to continue to stress over a listing that is not going to give you any traffic, make you any money,or raise the value of your website?

I haven't seen anyone buying a website care about a DMOZ listing in about 3 years. How much money it makes? Yes. Which directories it's listed in? Never. If you say that as a selling point, they will laugh at you.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2010
    hmansfield, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  16. Agent000

Best Answers:
    EXACTLY.

You submit once and then
    1) Its still waiting to be reviewed by an editor --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do
    2) I gets listed --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do
    3) It gets rejected --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do
    4) It gets moved by the editor to wait in another category --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do
    5) An editor looks at it and decides to do a more through review later --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do
    6) An editor working on the category decide to use other siurces for now sites and not look at the submitted sites --> life goes on and there is nothing you can do

How does your life change if you check DMOZ every day or few days to see if listed. How does your life change and what do you do differently if you get listed or not?

Agent000, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  17. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    You hit it right on.
    Absolutely nothing about your website or blog will change either way (for the better or worse) if you are listed, or not listed. Nothing.

Do you really think that any site has been successful or has failed, because of whether or not they were listed in the DMOZ ?

hmansfield, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I don't, but the vast majority of webmasters who post in forums whinging about it do. And when they don't rule the world after getting a listing, they bag DMOZ for being useless. huh? DMOZ never held themselves up as being anything more than a directory ... it was webmasters expectations that it was the magic bullet is the problem.

Agent000, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  19. hmansfield

hmansfield Guest

Best Answers:
    I wonder how that all started ? When I first got into this business, that was the advice on everyone's lips, "You have to submit to DMOZ", like it was some kind of private, exclusive search engine, but I never understood what the big deal was.

I have a couple of sites listed and except for threads like this, completely forget that I ever applied. It has done nothing except add my site to yet another directory and quite honestly, when I check my links, I don't even see DMOZ, yet the sites are still listed.

It's never brought me any traffic, or helped with my PR or Search Engine Placement.
    It really is just a normal directory with no more magical powers than any other.

The human edited part...not a big selling point these days considering how many crappy, spam, or dead sites are listed..yet all I hear from an occasional editor when I happen around this sections is

"It's too hard.
    It's too big.
    I have other things to do.
    I do my job, but other editors don't.
    If you think it's easy, why don't you do it?"

Sometimes I wonder what's the point? Just shut it down, it has outlived it's usefulness (as have almost all directories). It should have become a search engine when it had the chance. Even a #5 search engine has to be better off than a dead webmaster directory. I mean where are they going to be when AOL finally tanks? At this point, not in position to take over the #4 slot. (C'mon, who's not thinking it?)..they will be dead in the water too...a distant memory in the primitive days of SEO.

Last edited: May 1, 2010
    hmansfield, May 1, 2010 IP
  20. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Give me one example of how better AMRAY will do if DMOZ will list it considering
    it's now on page #1 in #1 place for generic search term: free listing

Next time you open your mouth to talk about Webmasters, think about AMRAY

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, May 1, 2010 IP