1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Paypal - Less secure for buyers now a days?

Discussion in 'PayPal' started by Nanofied, Apr 25, 2010.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Paypal barely protects the buyers anymore, in comparison to in the past when getting your money back was a click away.

In the past two disputes I have had with sellers on Paypal, I have instantly lost due to the nature of the sale. Basically allowing internet service providers to collect money and provide faulty services under Paypal's protection.

I mean its great that the sellers don't have to worry about chargebacks as much now, but what about the buyers?

Nanofied, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  2. GeorgeKuipers

GeorgeKuipers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats interesting, Nanofied, could you please elaborate more on your lost disputes? since I never experienced that sellers are more protected than buyers in PayPal.

GeorgeKuipers, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  3. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Try and buy something online and then try and get your money back. I always get burned with digital items, and once had someone send me an empty box and he won the dispute because he had proof of shipping.

Nanofied, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  4. CrashOver

CrashOver Peon

Best Answers:
    This is good, paypal did this because of too many scams.

was easy to order a service and ask for a refound. Many sellers was scammed like that.

CrashOver, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  5. shellyreynolds

shellyreynolds Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree - basically Paypal buyer protection is worthless nowadays. This is why you should pay with an American Express of some other card known for customer service, then when you have a dispute, handle it through the credit card instead. This is what I had to do when a seller scammed me $200. Paypal was no help in handling the matter.

shellyreynolds, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  6. GeorgeKuipers

GeorgeKuipers Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, guys, it was useful to know your observations, since we are a bit scared of using PayPal, sitting on the seller side.

GeorgeKuipers, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  7. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This surely is a second round of protection for buyers. People seem to pay using a credit card more and more... simply to have something to fall back on, in case of dispute and Paypal is found not obliging. They can straight away file a chargeback from their cc account!

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Apr 29, 2010 IP
  8. antipot

antipot Peon

Best Answers:
    This can be a good thing & a bad thing. Of course you need to take your precautions when buying online, especially physical products where you could get an empty box....

antipot, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  9. shellyreynolds

shellyreynolds Peon

Best Answers:
    A major problem for us is that Paypal buyer protection doesn't even cover "digital goods." So that means that most transactions that occur on DigitalPoint won't even qualify for protection. So just make sure you use a trustworthy credit card when paying.

shellyreynolds, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  10. jameskon

jameskon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i think it's fine for buyers still... as a seller i find more trouble rather

jameskon, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  11. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Never have any problems with PP so far.

Ibn Juferi, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  12. Nikhil_Sharma

Nikhil_Sharma Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its just the reverse. PayPal is very much secure for a buyer!

But that doesn't mean that a buyer should buy goods/services from everyone.

Nikhil_Sharma, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  13. williammfelix

williammfelix Peon

Best Answers:
    Mmmhh.. IMHO it's depended on what kind of purchase you make. If it's for buying goods, you will be charged with interest as the insurance, so paypal will help you if anything happened. While personal payment doesn't.

But from my experience as the buyer I never have problem with Paypal so far (and hoping will not [-o< ) CMIIW.

williammfelix, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  14. AdSenseMaster

AdSenseMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    Paypal gives more protection to buyers than the sellers. I think buyers can file a dispute straight a way and can get his money back

AdSenseMaster, Apr 30, 2010 IP
  15. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    No... as buyers, they enter you into a dispute... which then can be escalated to a claim. The claim is decided by paypal, and it seems they always go in the buyers favor any more. It used to be the other way around though.

Nanofied, May 1, 2010 IP
  16. moronic_kaos

moronic_kaos Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, someone has to be able to get burned here, the buyers or the sellers. In my opinion, it's a buyers responsibility to make sure they know who they're buying from. Think about it, there's a lot of research they can do. They can read reviews, look at how long something has been selling, ask on the forums, etc. A seller is expected to sell to whomever without doing any of this research, so it makes more sense for them to have more protection.

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something...

moronic_kaos, May 1, 2010 IP
  17. sufia

sufia Active Member

Best Answers:
    thank you for this post. paypal cannot Run they Need many staff That,s why They cannot look after Digital product case

sufia, May 1, 2010 IP
  18. schnups

schnups Active Member

Best Answers:
    That is wrong. I guess you never called paypal before. I sold and bought stuff and I also had disputes being on both sides already. Physical goods can always be traced and with that fact its easy for paypal to make the right decision. Digital goods and services are a bit tricky since you cannot check if they are delivered or not. Paypal will judge on the proof provided. If the seller provides reasonable proof that you got what he offered then paypal will most likely judge on the sellers behalf.

I also agree with moronic.

schnups, May 1, 2010 IP
  19. Nanofied

Nanofied Guest

Best Answers:
    Perfect example... I bought an ebook last night that was supposed to be on server management. The seller then proceeded to send me a link to a public article online, and then went his way.

I tried to get a refund considering he sent me a free article that wasnt even his own to sell, and the fact that it wasnt even an ebook... but paypal instantly decided in his favor.

Nanofied, May 1, 2010 IP
  20. williammfelix

williammfelix Peon

Best Answers:
    That sucks though. Can you let me know what site you're buying ebook from if you don't mind. :p

williammfelix, May 2, 2010 IP