1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Wordpress redirects to /wp-admin/install.php after migration

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by mwong, Apr 23, 2010.

Hi my domain keeps redirecting to /wp-admin/install.php instead of showing the real webpages. My hosting company just performs a server migration. It looks like they forget to move the database after moving the WP files. Now that they said they have moved the DB, the page still goes to /wp-admin/install.php. Any idea of how to fix this? perhaps rebooting connection to the DB somehow? I don't have privilege to access logs.

I investigated to WP code level - and hit dead end on the following code: Looks like WP doesn't recognize if the blog has been installed.

<function is_blog_installed() {
    global $wpdb;

// Check cache first. If options table goes away and we have true cached, oh well.
    if ( wp_cache_get('is_blog_installed') )
    return true;

$suppress = $wpdb->suppress_errors();
    $installed = $wpdb->get_var( "SELECT option_value FROM $wpdb->options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl'" );
    $wpdb->suppress_errors($suppress);

$installed = !empty( $installed ) ? true : false;
    wp_cache_set('is_blog_installed', $installed);

return $installed;
    }>

Here's what the hosting company says:
    I have noticed that your database '604cleaner_DB' is not moved to the new server. I have run our backend tool to move your database. Please check the website after couple of hours.

customers site is loading the wordpress install page /wp-admin/install.php instead of the homepage after migration.
    Diagnosis:

database appears to have moved over to the new platform and the tables are in it.

Customers original domain name for the site was 604cleaner.com he pointed that domain name to another url and instead pointed mysoutheastasia.com to the /604cleaner

I tried changing the site URL in the wp-options table to the new domain and that did not have any effect on the site.

mwong, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  2. kishor212

kishor212 Guest

Best Answers:
    Backup eveything in your old server..! Then Restore it to the new server.. its that easy..!

I can Do it for you if you need..!

kishor212, Apr 23, 2010 IP
  3. rilwis

rilwis Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to delete the install.php file.

rilwis, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  4. mwong

mwong Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't work. The site goes in an infinite loop.

Manually copying the data and creating a new database solve the problem for now. But now images does not show. You can upload images to the server - ad the name shows, but not the pictures. Any idea what went wrong?

I blame webhost4life for this problem; they caused this problem and now the customer has to suffer. Their support is no help either. They promised 24 hour support; but it's just people to answer you questions. Think twice when you wanna go with them.

mwong, Apr 25, 2010 IP
  5. rilwis

rilwis Peon

Best Answers:
    If images aren't shown, maybe the URL to them are broken. Go to phpMyAdmin and seach the URL, like /wp-content/upload/2009/12/abc.jpg. If you've changed your theme or used new domain, it often happens. Search and replace the URL is ok.

rilwis, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  6. aap

aap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    can you still login in old server cpanel using:
    ServerMainIP/cpanel

If yes, login in cPanel of old server. Download WP database from phpmyadmin and wp-content folder.

Now:
    Login in new server cPanel.
    Install fresh wordpress.
    Upload wp-content folder that you have downloaded from old server.
    Restore database in phopmyadmin.

Done!!

aap, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  7. KimiGermany

KimiGermany Peon

Best Answers:
    KimiGermany, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  8. mwong

mwong Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help everyone. At the last resort, I was able to restore it. The images are not shown because the settings folder has changed; previous restore still retains the setting of old folder. Go to settings and find upload path. Not sure what the relation with image shown vs image upload path - coz upload works but images are not shown.

All in all, this shouldn't have happened in the first place if the hosting provider did an excellent job migrating. They didn't. I'm really disappointed. My SEO got a big hit these past two days.

To webhost4life: be competent, be responsible; be responsive!

mwong, Apr 27, 2010 IP
  9. cheeta.admin

cheeta.admin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are so many plugin to this purpose for proper backup and restore on new or old server did you try any one of them ? also if there are any unwanted plugin try to disable them.

cheeta.admin, Apr 6, 2016 IP
  10. Faris Basalamah

Faris Basalamah Peon

Best Answers:
    This trouble is most frequently brought about via improper file permissions. Your uploads directory should have right file permissions otherwise WordPress may not be in a position to store your files in it or frequently may not even show files from the add listing. To set right file permissions on your uploads directory, you possibly can need a FTP consumer, like Filezilla.

Faris Basalamah, Apr 24, 2016 IP
  11. Mybulen

Mybulen Active Member

Best Answers:
    Any decent web hosting company should be able to migrate your wordpress without issue, i would rid myself ot his company and go with someone else. They obviously do not know what they are doing.

Mybulen, Apr 27, 2016 IP