1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Ruby or PHP - Which one should I learn?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by mnymkr, Sep 10, 2006.

The new Ruby and Ajax stuff looks sweet but PHP it the tried and true. If I am to devote time to learning something new, which one should I choose?

mnymkr, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  2. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    PHP is my second language and is a safe bet. It's very widely used with lots of applications available for free or cheap, hosting is cheap as well and usually has a nice control panel with lots of extras including server add-ons.

I looked at Ruby and its Rails framework looks to be nice for creating quick back end systems. It was all the buzz back in February but seems to be cooling off. It's probably not enough to unseat PHP in the web site owners world.

tbarr60, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  3. DrMalloc

DrMalloc Peon

Best Answers:
    If you learn the universal concepts that govern pretty much every programming and scripting language, picking up a new one is extremely easy. For that reason i'm going to suggest learning both, if you have the time, and throwing in some C wouldn't hurt. It gives you a good idea of how scripting languages work under the hood, and a better understanding of concepts like strong typing, as opposed to the dynamic typing used in most scripting languages.

DrMalloc, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  4. jquindlen

jquindlen Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I agree that once you've gotten down one programming language, it is very easy to pick up others, but I would personally suggest just sticking with PHP for now. Studying more than one language for your first step into programming may prove a bit difficult. However, once you've gotten the hang of one language, then I would recommend foraging into other languages, such the ones DrMalloc suggested.

jquindlen, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  5. randommouse

randommouse Peon

Best Answers:
    learn PHP. i don't see many jobs posted for Ruby, and if you become an expert in a language it's nice to hope that you might also get paid for doing it one day. not that i know much PHP myself. i'm a Perl nut. but if i was to fully jump into another language it would be PHP. but darn if the language isn't a stickler for the semi-colons :cool:

randommouse, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  6. Winagain

Winagain Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest PHP, since is most widely used.
    However, as it has been mentioned before, learn the basics and any language will be easy

Winagain, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  7. intoex

intoex Peon

Best Answers:
    All is depends on your type of thinking. Ruby is object oriented language, easy to learn. In OOP it much better then php. Again, for what - one thing you need some simple site to be created, another - you want to become professional programmer. The studing only Ruby will give no effect - you need to learn other technologies and study, study, study...
    As for me I started from BASIC (yes, was such a language :)), the Pascal, then Delphi (different languages but finished on 7). When I was programming delphi, i have learned database development using paradox, then interbase-firebird, ms access. Also I studed C/C++, programmed under linux, tried Java and Java server technologies, then came to web-development.
    My first script was written using Visual Studio C++ - yes, I wrote my first guestbook on C++ CGI :) Then I started Perl. But then I tried PHP - yes, I loved it :) Now I'm programming on php for web-projects, but also want to know asp 2.0. Ruby... Hm, i studing it too - but now have no time for it.
    That's why know wide spectre of technologies - this will help you in future

Regards, Alex

intoex, Sep 17, 2006 IP