1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

RDF data, who owns it?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fastreplies, Apr 15, 2010.

According to DMOZ management they do because their phony ToU said so:
    It would be fine if you submitted your site to DMOZ and requested inclusion but what if your site
    one of thousands sites added to DMOZ by editors who are crawling Internet for good sites and
    added your site to DMOZ Index without your consent?

People whose sites was listed without their permission never agreed to follow any ToU conditions
    including of course content of generic titles and descriptions applied by editors not to mention they
    never waived anything because nobody ask them to do so.

Now the questions are:
    • how DMOZ management can claim as their own something that no one legally permitted them to use in a first place?
    • what legal right DMOZ management has to Copyright somebody else’s properties without owners consent?
    • Does DMOZ management have any right to ask RDF data users for attribution given that part of RDF data legally doesn’t belong in DMOZ Index?

Based on facts from above, my question is:
    should people who are using RDF data or some links listed in DMOZ Index give DMOZ any attribution?

fastreplies

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    fastreplies, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  2. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From a legal perspective i would not have a clue and would not even attempt to debate the legalities of using DMOZ RDF. Thats for Lawyers and people smarter than me, to decide.

From a moral perspective.......If the data is good enough to use, then you would have to be a total "slime ball" to use the data without placing some form of acknowledgement (as a thank you for compiling it)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
    snooks, Apr 15, 2010 IP
  3. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    There is big difference between “some form of acknowledgment” and Ultimatum.
    http://www.dmoz.org/license.html

I’m sure some people won’t have problems to mention that some links in their directory
    has been inspired by ODP and even post link to DMOZ but to have that slimy green box
    on every page of their site because of few dozens or even hundreds of links amongst
    10th of thousands links, which belong to that directory… get real snooky.

I don’t believe DMOZ have any authority to demand attribution considering how ODP
    compiled RDF data in a first place.

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  4. snooks

snooks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well i'm taking a wild guess and guessing that you may be one of the people that use the data without attribution??

No need for further comment....I'm not surprised :(

snooks, Apr 16, 2010 IP
  5. hwebb

hwebb Peon

Best Answers:
    My own directory was initially seeded with ODP data, and I attribute with no problems about that. One interesting thing is that many times my directory comes up in serps ahead of DMOZ and Goog. directory. Not sure exactly why, but I do try to keep it up to date and it's a niche regional dir. If I do all of the work in a cat, then I will often delete the (automatic) attribution. One doesnt' need to attribute the directory structure itself.

hwebb, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  6. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Without making any wild guesses, just based on fasts we know.

Do you believe that Yahoo, Bing, Google and other Search Engines that has been displaying DMOZ data
    on their pages obliged to place attribution on every search results page?

Now, you don’t have to be some legal scholar to express your own believes and all you have to do is
    to look at this page http://www.dmoz.org/license.html, read what it says and then give us your opinion.

Can you do that?

fastreplies

fastreplies, Apr 17, 2010 IP
  7. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also see RZ which explains that editors aren't able to answer fastreplies questions and advises him to contact AOL Legal.

(Sorry for the bump but I missed this thread at the time)

jimnoble, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  8. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    And that was exactly what I did but AOL Legal told me that if I have any legal questions,
    I should post them in resource-zone.com forum for DMOZ Administrators to answer them and
    if Administrators cannot answer them, then they Administrators should contact AOL Legal.

By 'Administrators' AOL Legal Dept. meant you Jim

fastreplies

fastreplies, Nov 18, 2010 IP