1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Read This Before Replying to Posts in This Section!

Discussion in 'Solicitations & Announcements' started by yfs1, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    It seems these days that there is several posts a day in the Feedback section of DP complaining about receiving a warning or an infraction for "Running Up Post Count". It also seems the majority of those are generated in this section with Introductions being the second biggest.

As a supporter of these actions due to these 2 sections accounting for the majority of useless posts when clicking on New Posts or using the DP Spy to spot new threads, I thought I would put up a post that can be referenced every time someone asks.

With 500,000 members here at DP, there are unfortunately those that blindly reply to posts without either reading them or caring what they are about purely to either meet a threshold (such as number of posts to post in BST) or just get their signature to show more often. These people unfortunately have hurt the ability for truly worthy threads to get proper recognition.

Examples of these replies are as follows in this section:

"Submitted, thanks!"
    "Submitted www.test.com thxs"
    "Nice Directory"
    "Thanks for that"

and so on.

There are probably around a million general directories these days so the excuse that you are giving them recognition for a good job really doesn't fly. Saying you posted so they knew you submitted a site is also not a reason as if their directory is any good, they will check for submissions on a regular basis.

If you bump threads in the manner described above:
    You will most likely get a warning or an infraction

Legitamite reasons for responding include asking a specific question about the directory, reporting if their are errors on the directory, or other specific comments. Otherwise you can use the PM system (or their contact form) to thank them.

This isn't the end of the world. In most cases you are still a trusted and wanted member of DP. It is a private warning so their is no need to start a thread elsewhere to "defend your honor". Unless you commit the same offence 9 more times in a 3 month period, you won't even see any kind of ban.

Just take the warning or infraction as a notification of the Rules and move on.

The most common excuse is "Others are doing it so I thought it would be OK" - The truth is it isn't but Mods can't nor want to watch every single thread. If you see another offender, use the ! surrounded by a triangle. With members help, DP can continue to be a great resource.

Now you know so ignorance is no longer an excuse.

If you are new, Welcome to DP :D

yfs1, Sep 10, 2006 IP
    Smyrl, Will.Spencer, wrmineo and 4 others like this.
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    What about some people who bump their month old threads saying we are back to free and we are accepting links again.
    They should be given a infraction too. [I have many examples of that]
    anywayz well said :)
    Amit

amitpatel_3001, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    I can only address one issue at a time. Otherwise my head may explode ;)

yfs1, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  4. David26

David26 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, yeah I saw everyone doing it for a long time so I thought that was "the thing" here to say thank you for someone posting a new directory where we submitted our links. I really do not understand what type of posts you would expect in such a limited forum that serves as a link directory in a way.

However DP is a great site so I will try to give more constructive feedback on directories (which I do occasionally when a directory warrants such a review). It will probably be a lot of work for you to moderate these posts especially from new users since most of us mean no harm by posting a quick "thank you" response. Thanks for the heads up :)

David26, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  5. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    hmm, it is handy to bookmark a thread and when we see someone post " submitted 5 or w/e,, thanks" that way we know there are submissions to approve..

i hope you re-think this..

thanks

oh, and b4 anyone says, you can just check your directory,, this makes thing easier and also to know if we are getting any submission from the thread here at DP

Brandon Sheley, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  6. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    I realy don't think I'm alone when I do this to let myself know I've already submitted to the particular directory since there are a lot.

I think the motives are more genuine than sinister.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  7. dkessaris

dkessaris Peon

Best Answers:
    You can subscribe to a thread without replying. Just click on the threads tools and subscribe. Then there will be a green checkmark next to the thread and you will know that you have already submitted at that directory.

dkessaris, Sep 10, 2006 IP
    freespace likes this.
  8. Colbyt

Colbyt Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I added the red and the bold to the above quoted statement because I think we really need to get the word out about this. I hope you don't mind dkessaris.

I have been a member here since whatever date is under my name but this was the first VB forum that I have spent anytime using. I only figured out that one could subscribe to a thread without posting something about a week ago.

It is a really neat feature to use guys. Follow up posts to a subscribed thread show up in your control panel. You don't have to post a worthless reponse just so you can find the thread using search in a few days.

Colbyt, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  9. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    CReed, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  10. donttrustthisposter

donttrustthisposter Peon

Best Answers:
    Didn't know, that will make it much easier. I think this is the reason for most of the short posts. Also when people post their website and say they just submited it the author might feel more obligated approve.

donttrustthisposter, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  11. fjean

fjean Peon

Best Answers:
    isn't this rule bad for DP since it will reduce the number of post?

fjean, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  12. sizzler_chetan

sizzler_chetan Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    So u want to increase Dp's no. of posts by just posting these kind of Idiotic posts?

Post something valuable and helpful to increase the no. of posts

sizzler_chetan, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  13. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Think quality, not quantity. :D

CReed, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  14. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. I also think that this rule will cause new directory announcements to run off the page very quickly which won't help the directory owners too much. They will probably receive fewer submissions from dp, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, thanks for the 'you can subscribe to any thread' technique. I will use that from now on since that was the main reason for my 'useless, submitted, thanks!' posts. :D It helped me keep track of the directories I submitted to.

I don't particularly care for this rule and really don't see what the big deal is to thank a directory owner, however, rules are rules I suppose.

Janet, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  15. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO it works the other way..if you are unlucky that lotz of thread got reply right after you start your thread, you will bury deep in no time..

if no one reply any thread, you will stay in first page until there's like 50 new thread started, which should take some time i guess

ahkip, Sep 10, 2006 IP
    sachin410 likes this.
  16. Janet

Janet Peon

Best Answers:
    True, I never thought of that.

Janet, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  17. silencer

silencer Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have the same thing running at my forum, except I stopped signatures to prevent that sort of posting. I have been guilty of doing it here in the past (though on a very limited basis if you see my post count its not exactly massive and I've been around a while).

It does stop a lot of posting, a hell of a lot, but hopefully it will also increase the quality as others have said.

silencer, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  18. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    ummm.. they were doing it to keep track of which new directories they had submitted to. Thats why i was doing it back when i was guilty of it. Now i just subscribe to the thread.

axemedia, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  19. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Well, although that is also a pet peeve of mine, I don't of course make the rules. There has been a welcomed crackdown on "Submitted, thanks" which is why I wrote the post that I did (Hopefully to cut down on the number of people pleading ignorance in light of warnings or infractions)

By the way, thanks to the person that let me know I spelled legitimate wrong but it is now there for all time as the 8 hours I have to edit has passed :p

yfs1, Sep 11, 2006 IP
  20. irka

irka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can't wait to see it in action :)

Thats pretty cool those new rules, it will avoid spam and we'll see more clearly whats going on on the forum and how many directories launch a day :cool:

irka, Sep 11, 2006 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.