1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone use Google Adwords to advertise their writing?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by acadianapa, Mar 20, 2010.

I realize that there's a section for Google adwords, but my question is specific to writers and I believe this is the correct place to pose the question:

Has anyone ever found success advertising for writing clients using Google adwords? If so, how did you set up your campaign? What keywords did you target? What was your ad like? How much did you bid?

I am considering trying adwords for finding writing clients, and I was wondering if any of you have found success finding clients this way.

acadianapa, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  2. tclarkson31

tclarkson31 Peon

Best Answers:
    It can be expensive but I highly recommend it. My advice to geo target your keywords. A lot of people like the idea of a local writer they can speak with.

tclarkson31, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  3. acadianapa

acadianapa Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks...what keywords would you target for an online content writer? How would you structure the ad to weed out clickers that aren't buyers?

acadianapa, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  4. mrtech

mrtech Peon

Best Answers:
    Choosing what keywords to target is not a question you should be asking, but rather researching it. Use the google keywords tool to search and find out which keywords folks are searching for that is actually related to your industry. If nobody searches for those keywords, all the advertising in the world is not going to get you any results.

mrtech, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  5. copy4you

copy4you Peon

Best Answers:
    It's hard to say what keywords would be best for you without launching a 2-days test campaign. If you try it you will be able to see and analyze what keywords were effective for your site. I would advise that firstly you choose a lot of them, for example 200 words and phrases and then limit them to for instance 30 on the basis on the results after a 2-days campaign. I did it and it worked for me. Bid as much as you can - mind your budget ;) Your ad should describe what you do in a catchy way. You must keep it very short as Adwords don't allow many characters there. Personally, I strongy recommed to use Google AdWords.
    best wishes to you and your campaign! :)

copy4you, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  6. BlueSkyCamping

BlueSkyCamping Peon

Best Answers:
    It's an interesting idea.

You'd need to be careful that you don't end up wasting a lot of money though.

BlueSkyCamping, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  7. kalpana.allu

kalpana.allu Peon

Best Answers:
    for article advertising it is useless.for product advertising google adwords is more useful.

kalpana.allu, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  8. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to do your keyword research through the tools that Google offers. I did several different PPC campaigns last year and spent a few hundred dollars. I made a profit based on the work received as a result of the campaigns but I didn't find it as cost effective as simple networking and increasing visibility. I would advise that you stay away from generic terms since you are going to have more advertiser competition that way.

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  9. waxingpoetic

waxingpoetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not feasible to compare keywords. Which keywords you use should be like a secret to cut down on competition. Like other have said research your keywords using the Google Keyword Tool. I probably won't ever use Adwords as I'd rather network locally on my own. Like Y.L. said, it's best to concentrate on increasing your visibility online. You can do that organically without shelling out a small fortune.

waxingpoetic, Mar 27, 2010 IP
  10. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    May be you didn't succeed to target well. Adwords is hard for beginners and according to some of my friends, they didn't succeed to make it profitable only after loosing hundred and hundred of dollars.

omarabid, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  11. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    As I mentioned, I actually did make a profit but find direct networking and marketing more effective :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  12. omarabid

Best Answers:
    I'll suggest to advertise on related free lance websites, like FreelanceSwitch. They have a more targeted user base and will convert better

omarabid, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  13. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't advertise on a site that is targeted to other freelancers. It's better to advertise on sites where your target clients are than where your competitors are.

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 28, 2010 IP
  14. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    *shrugs shoulders*

I never was much for advertising where my competitors were both on top and underneath me.

Wait...that didn't sound right...

Perry Rose, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  15. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're in that position, sounds like you already advertised. And well I might add.

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  16. omarabid

Best Answers:
    it makes no sens to advertise on sites where competitors are! Actually FreelanceSwitch offer both a job board for freelancers and a CV-hosting like service that can help you connect with potential clients. That's why I pointed

omarabid, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  17. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Nobody likes a smartass, dollface.

Okay, okay, I do. :p

Perry Rose, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  18. internetauthor

internetauthor Peon

Best Answers:
    I played around with Adwords once when a client gave me a gift certificate he couldn't use for some reason - my clients love me. *blush*

It wasn't stellar but then I wasn't doing it with any intensity - just testing a bit to see what happens. As I move into new areas of writing, especially highly targeted local ones, I'll likely pick up a bit more in this area, but it's not something I'm interested in at this exact moment. It can work though, but it's always going to be a case of spending money to make money - which is dangerous if you don't know what you're doing or if you can't stay on top of the cost.

internetauthor, Mar 29, 2010 IP
  19. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, maybe that could work. Still--if there is a fee involved I think you're better off with old fashioned marketing and networking.

I hope you know that I will now always picture you as a 30's gangster Perry. With spats.

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 30, 2010 IP