1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How difficult is it to learn web designing

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by Web2Content, Mar 20, 2010.

Hi Everybody,

I intend to go full time freelance and build up a blog/website for myself. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to learn web designing myself rather than use the services of a web designer. In case I do that are there any self-learning courses available for web designing.

Please let me know.

Regards

Sunny

Web2Content, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  2. nRdigital

nRdigital Peon

Best Answers:
    Becoming a good web designer is a long old process. It doesn't take long to pick up the key elements, HTML, CSS, some Photoshop work, but it takes time to gain experience.

Practice, lots of it :D

W3 Schools - w3schools.com have lots of tutorials, basic stuff to get started. HTML, CSS etc.

Good Luck!

nRdigital, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Full time freelance what? Photographer, dancer, personal trainer, programmer, builder ???

If you're freelancing in something totally unrelated to web design, then no, don't bother learning it.
    If you're freelancing in web design, you should already be able to at least create your own website.

Kerosene, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  4. Mentalhead

Mentalhead Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what you want to do. If you want to build simple and static sites, you should learn HTML, CSS and Photoshop basics. After that you have to deal with browser compatibility and such, but you can learn to deal with that after few simple websites created. Mostly for a good web design you need good photoshop skills so I suggest if you really want to be become successful designer to work on your creativity. Coding is easy to learn, unless you're doing PHP or smtg like that, so good luck to you.

Mentalhead, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  5. dezigno

dezigno Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. Some people learn to use programs like Photoshop easily and have lots of creativity, others may not have much creativity and might struggle.
    To be a really good designer it could take up to 1-2 years learning.
    I learnt through tutorials, e.g. Youtube and other various websites.

You can never be too good at designing.

dezigno, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  6. adublin

adublin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Also - There's a difference in being a web designer and web developer.

You can learn both but it takes time.

Hope this helps,

adublin, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  7. gogeta9118

gogeta9118 Peon

Best Answers:
    all depends on the skillsets you already have...

gogeta9118, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  8. designz

designz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah i agree with most of the points above. You first and foremost need to have passion about the industry you are willing to work in. Becoming a full time freelance web & graphics design like myself is extremely hard work considering you need to handle all the finances , clients, project management, also you need to constantly learn all the new techniques visually and technically ie coding techniques or advances visual effects in photoshop.

There are many medicore designers but to set yourself apart you really need to be willing to put the work and effort in. If you have some experience with any design program all be it photoshop[ ( standard) indesign etc and have a real creative flare then this will inevitably help you become successful .

I would suggest either learn by olnine tutorials as mentioned above ie w3 schools for coding and for design there are some tutorials but you will need to learn also techniques by yourself. After all you cant simply rely on tutorials to get you through your carear.

Or alternatively you can do formal education training such as multi media & development or / & graphics design.

designz, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  9. futurehosting

futurehosting Peon

Best Answers:
    It is a good thing to learn.. If not only to learn how much actually goes in to designing a website. I recommend you look through the W3Schools information. After that I recommend that you search through Google for web design tutorials, especially tutorials involving CSS, because that is the standard that is being used in the web and it seems it will remain to be the standard on the web for the near future.

futurehosting, Mar 20, 2010 IP
  10. shaeeee

shaeeee Peon

Best Answers:
    If you don't already have a "flair" for design then probably not worth learning it and best to hire a professional. Especially if the area you plan to freelance in is totally unrelated.

shaeeee, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  11. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's a good idea to learn web designing, but may not be a good idea to do everything yourself :) You can learn the 'technical' aspect easily but the creative skill is not something that you can 'acquire' :)

jitendraag, Mar 22, 2010 IP
  12. balup4h

balup4h Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey lad..
    If you have the urge then you can be the one you want.. Set a Goal and Work for it.. Then Nothing can stop you. It is best to learn by yourself by all means of Exprementing. Be a member in he major webdesign communities. They can help you with the latest happenings in the industry. Don't Ever Hesitate To Ask out for help.. Best of all Learn form your mistake.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Custom Web Design & Development @ web4half.com

balup4h, Mar 23, 2010 IP
  13. DesignChic

DesignChic Peon

Best Answers:
    Regardless of what you're freelancing in, it will surely benefit you to at least learn some of the basics, so you don't always have to search out help when you want to make minor changes. Plus it will save you money. If you're looking to get into a tech field, yes spend some time learning more, you're already in this forum and likely have some interest and abilities. I'm sure you can pick it up.

DesignChic, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  14. poblo10

poblo10 Peon

Best Answers:
    Depends what your trying to learn
    HTML pretty easy
    PHP little more advanced but once you get the hang of it its pretty easy

poblo10, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  15. michaelcera84

michaelcera84 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just google the articles out. You get tons of information and tutorial about web designing and it the easiest job i have ever done

michaelcera84, Mar 25, 2010 IP
  16. cbryant03

cbryant03 Member

Best Answers:
    tizag.com helped me with knowing all the codes and such, I printed the pages and stuck them to the wall. my opinion if you grasp atleast basic html and CSS you will be able to customize anything with that understanding of those coding languages and it wont take you long at all just a little trial and error

cbryant03, Mar 25, 2010 IP