1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

osCommerce vs ZenCart vs Wordpress for t-shirt eCommerce site?

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by faro, Feb 9, 2010.

Hi,

I'd like some input about which platform to go with in creating a t-shirt eCommerce site. I'm trying to decide between osCommerce, ZenCart and WordPress + eCommerce plugins.

I'm mostly concerned with the ease of customizing the template, as branding will be pretty important for me here. Aside from that, I'd like to be able to structure the site like bustedtees.com, where the designs are prominently featured.

Thank you in advance for your input!

faro, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  2. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    You should use either prestashop or Magento(if you really want to do it right).

See: http://www.magentocommerce.com/blog/category/magento-spotting/ loads of high dollar t-shirt shops.

Prestashop is easier to design than your other options and much friendlier across the board from ease of use to SEO.

hope that helps,
    Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  3. designfair

designfair Peon

Best Answers:
    Virtumart ecommerce Bundle for Jooma is good for yur T-shart Shopping cart to download this package brows vitumart.net

Zen cart also very easy to install from cpanel. see more information visit http://blog.dplanetbiz.com

designfair, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  4. webhost.uk.net

webhost.uk.net Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

I also prefer using Magento :)

webhost.uk.net, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  5. teecamo

teecamo Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it depends on the size and seriousness of your site, but given the above comments, I would first look into Magento.

teecamo, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  6. faro

faro Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like Magento is out of my budget, unless I go with the community edition. It looks like a lot of the features are unavailable though, and the website makes it sound like i'd need to do a lot of programming/tweeking. Am I correct in this assumption?

There won't be more than 20-30 products, and as far as seriousness, I'm looking for a quick/inexpensive solution to start and should things get going, I'd upgrade if necessary with whatever revenue it brings in.

Thanks for the input so far!

faro, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  7. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    No, the Magento community edition is fine. The enterprise version does things you will not likely need like content staging etc. Multiple shops with their own admin login and so on.

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  8. ratansingh

ratansingh Peon

Best Answers:
    Try opencart

ratansingh, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  9. manofwar

manofwar Active Member

Best Answers:
    Opencart is one of the easier IMO.

manofwar, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  10. sp2h

sp2h Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest Wordpress is the best.... Oscommerce is good also.... But Wordpress Is very best

sp2h, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  11. surfaddict

surfaddict Active Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe you should try all that already been mention and choose which one is the most suitable for your business. Sometime, it depend on how many times you have to manage your store productively.

For easier way I also recommend Magento.

surfaddict, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  12. Gr33ny

Gr33ny Peon

Best Answers:
    I already said this in another thread, but I highly recommend Magneto for eCommerce. I've found it easy enough to skin, and it's one of (the?) most popular eCommerce script.

Gr33ny, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  13. faro

faro Peon

Best Answers:
    Does Magento have a built in product feed? I found a module that you need to buy, just thought I'd confirm with you guys first.

OpenCart has a built in product feed (ie, google base), right?

faro, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  14. ORiN

ORiN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What plug-in do you use for Wordpress e-Commerce?

ORiN, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  15. Nigel Lew

Nigel Lew Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, and Magento 1.4 rolled out last night. I was up half the night importing a zen cart site into it. Google base feed is built right in along with a ton of other cool features now like widgets, etc.

This stuff just got even better ;)

Nigel

Nigel Lew, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  16. prosta

prosta Peon

Best Answers:
    I suggest Wordpress is the best.... Oscommerce is good also.... But Wordpress Is very best

prosta, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  17. spamisannoying

spamisannoying Peon

Best Answers:
    Try BigCommerce.

spamisannoying, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  18. faro

faro Peon

Best Answers:
    I figured I'd come report back for the benefit of others who had the same question.

I went with Magento and must say that while the feature set is amazing, I am very very disappointed. From the beginning it was a hassle. I have shared hosting with GoDaddy, so the installation was extra complicated.

But once I got past that, I needed to reinstall it almost 5 times because of a variety of problems that arose from me installing extensions/themes. So I decided to go with one of the original themes that come with the system and not install any extensions yet.

From there, I still had problems. Responses on the forums are scarce for some problems. It wouldn't import my configurable products and their associated simple products while maintaining the association. Fortunately for me, I only have 15 products with three sizes each. So I had to import the configurable products, and then individually create the separate sizes for each.

My latest problem is that attribute sets won't save (and others have posted on the forum about this with no response), and when I mark up text in the product description, the theme spits out the actual code instead of applying it.

I've developed plenty of sites from scratch several years ago, so I'm not entirely technically deft, but given all these problems, it's a huge hassle. I don't want to have to dig into the code every five minutes to fix a new problem or waste time scouring the forums for a solution that's 1) up to date (most of the solutions posted are from years ago) 2) actually works 3) doesn't break something else. I can't even imagine what I'd do if I had hundreds of products to deal with.

Unless you have a lot of time and don't mind digging into code, stay away from Magento.

faro, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  19. pbrband

pbrband Peon

Best Answers:
    what type of monthly fee are you looking at? I am looking for something similar that is totally free to use. I have no desire to pay a monthly fee of any kind.

pbrband, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  20. joshua_gelwicks

joshua_gelwicks Peon

Best Answers:
    Stick with OScommerce! Highly documented, highly monitored forums, free add-ons! Need I say more!! Always go OS if you can....

joshua_gelwicks, Mar 12, 2010 IP