1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does Google use Alexa in its algorithm in any way?

Discussion in 'Traffic Analysis' started by OIOplus, Sep 5, 2006.

Firstly, i want to start this query by stating that i dislike Alexa Traffic Stats - the fact that it can be manipulated so easily makes it a close to worthless statistic in my eyes.

However, i have heard that Google actually uses Alexa statistics as a part of its search engine ranking algorithm. I have never thought this to be the case myself, but i was wondering if anyone knew for certain whether there was anything to this?

Would Google really use such an unreliable statistic in its calculations - going by some of the PageRank values out there you never know...

OIOplus, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  2. Notorious

Notorious Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No,Google doesn't use Alexa Algorithm in any way.
    they managed to develop their Insane Algorithm without any help from Alexa.

Notorious, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  3. stimpsy

stimpsy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    they certainly won't use a measure which is very approximative and can be easily manipulated. The fact that the measure also comes from a third party, owned by an e-commerce company, who may not be objective, removes any interest to it's use..

stimpsy, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  4. bceagle

bceagle Guest

Best Answers:
    Google does not use the Alexa algorithm, at least not according to the SEO program I am trying out. According to Matt Cutts (Google engineer), Google are constantly changing their algorithms, the latest on 27 June, 28 July and 17 August. Keeping up to their changes requires constantly monitoring of the top 10 rankings of competitor sites for whatever keywords you are optimizing your site for.

bceagle, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  5. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google has adsense, analytics and toolbar data which covers probably 70% of the internet and the worlds population. Far more accurate than alexa.

mad4, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  6. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    Let's not all knock Alexa. It is just an approximate measure. As an order of magnitude I believe it is still valid.

dburdon, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  7. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for asking this question! I was just reading another thread about buying autosurf traffic, and several people thought it was great because it improved the Alexa stats, even though the surfers weren't buying anything or signing up for a mailing list.

My own take is that Alexa gives you a rough idea of visitors, but what really matters is what the visitors do when they arrive on your site. I'd rather have 50 customers than 1000 visitors who click away after 5 seconds. Is there a benefit to Alexa rankings that I'm missing?

Nonny, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  8. Mong

Mong ↓↘→ horsePower

Best Answers:
    Interesting :)

where you have heard it ?

NO.

Mong, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  9. thegypsy

thegypsy Peon

Best Answers:
    Not missing a darned thing as stated, it is what is is. We don't exaclty have a ton of raw data to mine so every little bit helps.

It is not a LARGE player so some figures may be skewed if optimizing for say, Google. SO enjoy the tool for what it is.

As far as LOVE.. Alexa and MSN sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G . The Alexa search results are powered by MSN.

Cheers
    :D

thegypsy, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  10. Nonny

Nonny Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well the source was someone selling traffic, so I figured the information was a bit suspect.
    That's interesting. I wonder if MSN search uses Alexa data.

Nonny, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  11. theblackjeep

theblackjeep Peon

Best Answers:
    I can't imagine anyone taking Alexa data seriously. When I took the toolbar off my computer, my Alexa rankings drop by nearly 500,000. Alexa is easily manipulated.

theblackjeep, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  12. tork

tork Peon

Best Answers:
    Alexa is worthless unless you are top 1000 site and even then I would not look too much into it.

tork, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  13. bceagle

bceagle Guest

Best Answers:
    Alexa is still a valid way of looking to see how well your site ranks with Alexa users. And unless Alexa users are from another planet, the rankings within Alexa should be more or less the same as Google. Afterall, it is just the same general population of the world which are using both search engines.

It is the quality of traffic which is more important. For an example, you may target the word "free' as part of a keyword phrase, and attract a lot of visitors who are seeking something for free. But if you specify you are selling the product, you will probably get much less traffic, but the site is attracting those visitors who are looking to buy something. So in this case, the quality of the traffic is much better, as more sales are generated.

bceagle, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  14. testman

testman Guest

Best Answers:
    testman, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  15. mikeboy

mikeboy Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought it did use alexa!

what is alexa good for then?

mikeboy, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  16. bceagle

bceagle Guest

Best Answers:
    Correction:
    I posted here earlier that the SEO program I am using does not consider Alexa rankings, but I just found out, that they do
    From the latest IBP-9 newsletter
    "The new IBP-9 version now analyzes Google PageRank, Alexa TrafficRank, inbound links, inbound link texts, IP addresses and much more."

So at least according to IBP-9, the rankings from Alexa are considered just like Google's Pagerank, but I still highly doubt Google takes Alexa's rankings into their algorithm.

bceagle, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  17. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think it's a far stretch that they would.

dcristo, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  18. Colin

Colin Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm sure this is a dumb question but can someone please explain how Alexa data is manipulated?

Colin, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  19. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Yeah it is pretty dumb wanting to fake Alexa stats.

dcristo, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  20. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    Colin,

Alexa extrapolates its figures from a sample of tool bars. If you artificially boost the traffic via a few toolbars you have a disproportionate impact on the reported figures.

dburdon, Sep 6, 2006 IP