1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Campaigning members to report posts... Allowed?

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by stOx, Feb 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We haven't discussed this so the official word may differ from my opinion but here goes...

At the moment we are doing a great job of processing all the reports so it is unlikely that a report will go more than 36 hours without being reviewed.

Personally I process reports with "spam" or "close" in them before I process others. The rest of the mod team will work differently.

If users get a reputation with me of being un/reliable it will influence how quickly I work on their reports compared to everyone else.

A post that has been reported twice is likely to draw attention more quickly too as it is likely to be an obvious problem and either quick to deal with or needs to be quickly dealt with

How would I respond to a post that had been reported 8 times?

If you formed a reporting team and ganged up to report a post over and over we'd pretty quickly work it out and you would be given the swerve by the mods.

Would we moderate the post any differently?

No, the number of reports doesn't impact on how we view the post.

Whats the downside of pissing off the mods?

The mods might decide to review your posting history which may result in:

• infractions
    • reduction in post count if we find you've been running up your post count
    • we might find your dupe accounts (if there are any)

sarahk, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  2. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    A mod, hurrah! *reads*

This sounds like it's allowed but will likely result in problems for the people doing the campaigning. I'd like that, lol.

alexispetrov, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  3. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    right... so are we allowed to campaign members to report posts?

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  4. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    no, we don't need 'gangs' ganging up on someone. the current system works as far as i can see.
    if you see something worth reporting, report it.

sawz, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  5. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Funny, because a user group on this forum has been campaigning people to report posts (as you know, because it has been reported to you by me), the posts it has called on people to report in "full force" have been removed and the thread where they are calling for people to "come together" to mass report posts remains.

Could you explain why, if it's against the rules, it's allowed to go on and be an effective strategy of censorship?

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  6. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    There is no reason to clog up the system with multiple bad reports on same thread/posts.

If we feel a member is abusing the bad post report system, that member himself/herself is subject to an infraction themself. Waging a report war in my eyes is abusing the system.

You must realize, particularly in P and R, there are two sides to each thread and we get reports on both sides. Each side thinks the other side is in the wrong.

Smyrl, Feb 24, 2010 IP
    robjones and sawz like this.
  7. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, but is it allowed? If not, what are the repercussions if it is done?

So what is the reason for allowing a thread where a user calls for other members to report a post "in full force" to go unchallenged while the post they ganged up and reported "in full force" got deleted?

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
    vibinhari likes this.
  8. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly, there's no value to multiple reports, because it only shows as one report to us, and the subsequent reports are just added into the first. So really, if the members are trying to overwhelm the moderators with waves of reports for the same thread trying to make a big statement, we really just see the one report with the additional members listed on it.

So basically, from an administrative standpoint, it's not going to affect us one way or the other and it's not going to prompt us to take any different action.

TikTok, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  9. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    tiktok, sarahk disagrees. She said "A post that has been reported twice is likely to draw attention more quickly".

Either way, What i wanted to know is if it is allowed or not. Regardless if you think it makes a difference, whether you think its worth doing or whether you think it's effective. What i want to know is if it's allowed or against the rules to campaign members, members who probably haven't even seen the post in question, to report "in full force" posts?

If the moderators don't know what the rules are how are we supposed to?

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  10. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i recall saying no, no gang activity. are you trying to turn this into one of your no good P&R pissin matches?

Sarah says a post reported more then once would draw attention, what she didn't say was its ok for a gang of people to go around reporting the same post. i'll consider it spam.

sawz, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  11. TikTok

TikTok Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd also be inclined to consider it spam, and I would likely add those members to my ignore list, and their posts would go unnoticed.

One reported post should be sufficient to identify an issue; mob mentality isn't going to influence my judgement.

TikTok, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    We don't have rules for every situation just in case they arise - we adapt to situations and try to find a solution that is fair.

so what we are telling you is that we allow multiple reports but that there is a point where you will start to turn the attention back on yourselves.

Harrasment of a particular member won't be tolerated.

Vigilence on a topic is fine but it won't sway our decision making.

sarahk, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  13. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    As other mods have said, it might draw attention quicker, but the outcome of the report would be no different. If 8 people reported a post that needed no action, I would most likely infract each reporter for spam and wasting mods time. And 8 people doing it to bring it to our attention quicker just means they get their 8 infractions quicker.

digitalpoint, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  14. alexispetrov

alexispetrov Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been offline, nice to come back to an answer.

We can campaign, but if mods decide not to delete the post and it's apparent a group of people reported it multiple times for no good reason they'll get infractions/ignored.

Stox, thanks - this was all a bit too confusing for me.

alexispetrov, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  15. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    And others had very different things to say.

it's not personal opinions i'm looking for, it's clarification on forum policy.

The thing with rules is they can't be relative. it's no good you handing out infractions if other mods don't, you saying multiple reports don't make a difference if to other mods they do or you considering it spam if other mods don't. Basically the policing of the forum can't rely on your particular mood that day and which particular mod happens to be the first to see the report.

Now that this particular situation has arisen and specific clarification has been requested could you guys maybe get together and decide? Because i'm honestly none the wiser since this thread was started as to whether it's allowed or not.

Obviously that's fine. it's not what i'm asking though. I'm askling if it's in line with forum rules to start threads in which people campaign other members to report a post "in full force" with the specific intention of making the moderation team "take action".

So far we have narrowed it down to being "more than likely" an infractional offence, should the moderator be so "inclined", depending entirely on which moderator sees it.

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  16. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Have you not listened? Your idea of full force is not necessary. A single report will do and so your thread calling on others to report a thread elsewhere in the forum might be construed as "Attacking or Harassing a member". The pile of reports that result might be considered to be spam.

And yes, there are "mights" and "moods"... but we all operate within some standard parameters. Sometimes we're generous, other days we're very literal.

sarahk, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  17. sawz

sawz Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    so this is how you start your shit in P&R, by misquoting people.
    i never said that multiple reports didn't make a difference. where do i say that?

what mod here has said otherwise? every mod that has weighed in here has agreed it could be considered spam.

again with the misquoting. you must be a politician.

and this is getting old. if you can't accept whats being told to you, leave and never return.

sawz, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  18. stOx

stOx Notable Member

Best Answers:
    All I'm looking for is clarification on forum policy, so far all iv got is the varying mods telling me what they might do, none of which agree.

Is it agaist the rules to campaign members to report a post or not? Feel free to confer, in fact, please do, we might actually get somewhere.

Sarah I'm not really concerned with what you, or other mods, might consider it as. I want to know if it's forum policy to allow or prohibit threads which campaign members to report a post.

stOx, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  19. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Are you not reading what has been said? Lol. It's not against the rule, but it has no weight for a mods decision if it's allowed or not. 1 person or 100 people reporting it. User's can't "vote" a post to be deleted if that's what you are really asking.

Reporting posts that don't violate our rules will end up with the reporting user getting infraction(s). Same as if it's one person reporting.

digitalpoint, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  20. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You can all report whatever you want. It's still only going to show up as one report in our queue (any subsequent reports show up as replies to it; not new ones that are going to bombard us and make us pay more attention to that over others).

jhmattern, Feb 24, 2010 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.