1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

GREAT tip from Google! Increased Adsense CTR by 20%!

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by denniss, Feb 20, 2010.

1. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can't base performance on one day's results.

And this makes no sense at all:

They are telling you to change to another unit and offer no suggestions at all?

internetmarketingiq, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  2. denniss

denniss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can confirm that today (so far) the CTR is around 22% higher than what it was 2 days ago (= last day when I used 250x250). That combined with 20% increase in CTR yesterday amounts to 21% average CTR increase, so perhaps my previous 20% estimation was too low.

Furthermore, in my eyes, even a one day increase is indicative of changes done if it's SIGNIFICANT = deviates by MUCH from standard CTR rate fluctuation. And since I have a lot of logs to compare this with I was able to see that I've never had CTR as high as this.

Lastly I have to note that I had no significant increase/decrease in traffic and traffic sources during these two days, hence I believe it was a 100% valid experiment that was done over a NETWORK of different sites amounting for ~30,000 pageviews a day.

As for suggestions, they actually gave a link for that too, I just forgot to include it, sorry.

Here it is: http://adsense.blogspot.com/2008/11/optimisation-essentials-part-i.html (that was the link for one of "our other top performing units")

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  3. djmarius

djmarius Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    That's good. Thanks big G . Hope good for all.

djmarius, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  4. denniss

Best Answers:

I was also pondering about that. And I think you are right about "a lot of image inventory that fits into the 300x250 size". I've got a few sites that use 336x280 ad format in some odd places and I NEVER see image ads there... only text. So I think maybe the format is undertargeted by advertisers for image ads (after all they have to create the image ads, so maybe they do not do it for the less popular formats).

Oh, and one thing I need to note... I started seeing MUCH MORE image ads after I increased the ads size from 250x250 to 300x250... Before the change image ads used to appear on maybe 5 pages out of 10, now it's more like 9 out of 10.... I guess this amounts for the increase in clicks, right? I mean, from my experience I personally click more on image/rich media-based ads than a 4-text ad unit (mostly because image based/animated ads just look more appealing and give more info about the actual product).

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  5. dencha

dencha Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some image ads has a better CTR then text ads, but it really depend on your niche and visitor demographic.

I tried enabling strictly image ads on one of my niche site, come to find out there's only 2-3 advertiser displaying image ad which drop my CTR tremendously because of ad blindness (seeing the same 3 ads over and over again)

Nonetheless, I'm pretty surprised Google provide you with the tip...that's very nice of them!

I<3GOOGLE

dencha, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  6. SearchBliss

SearchBliss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Through trial and error, I always found the larger rectangle ads performed better...mainly 336x280. In a week or so, you may want to try some even larger and compare.

SearchBliss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  7. denniss

Best Answers:
    I was considering that. I actually might once I have enough statistical data from 300x250.... I do use it atm, but only in very odd (end of the page) locations and only on a few sites.

I do wonder about images availability for 336x280 though... Is there as much image ads inventory as for 300x250 from your experience? In my experience there's much less image ads for that ads format (more in my previous post - above ^^).

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  8. atadolenc

atadolenc Peon

Best Answers:
    You said your CTR increased 20+%. Can you share with us what overall average CTR you have now... You can also send me PM if you don't want to share with others.

atadolenc, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  9. AdamFL

AdamFL Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you for confirming this. I always found out that 300x250 Ads perform better.

AdamFL, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  10. denniss

Best Answers:
    I don't have a problem sharing this with everyone.

My "new" combined CTR for today and yesterday (=since I've made the change) is 1.79%. Used to be 1.48% for the week before I changed ads.

It's an especially big increase considering that most of my sites are tech related and as most of us know tech readers in general are ads blind.

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  11. Iwind

Iwind Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've used the 336x280 ads a lot, on niche sites that target "buyer keywords" I find that the image and text ads work best, (the image and text ad setting that is, so that google choses what's best), and on blogs that are more about news/stories/general information image ads work better. Would definitely be interesting hearing about anyone that has done testing with 336x280 vs 300x250.

Of course you can if you have a lot of impression, 20% increase in CTR over a 30k sample is significant. It doesn't matter if it is one day or not, unless you for some reason think people are more likely to click ads on Mondays than on Tuesdays.

Iwind, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  12. johndorian

johndorian Peon

Best Answers:
    It's nice to see that google sends personalized tips. I think you have a really powerful site, since they took the time to send you an email.

johndorian, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  13. stephenc

stephenc Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, you have to take into account placement as well.

If your site is geared for 728x90, I would first decide whether changing
    the whole thing around to fit the new size is worth it.

It is heard a lot that the 300x250 is best.

Remember, these tips are not one size fits all.

Look at DP for as example of not using the 300x250 and
    having to change things around and radically change the look
    and feel of this forum to incorporate them. They have obviously
    decided what size works best for the site.

If the 300x250 can slide into your content and site, go for it.

Stephen C

stephenc, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  14. denniss

Best Answers:
    Yup, that's the same setting I have for ads - either image or text according to Google's liking. But for some reason much more image ads started appearing after I switched to 300x250, even from advertisers I did not see before.

And hmm.... I'll probably test 336x280 vs 300x250 in a few weeks. Will keep y'all posted (might be a new post though).

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  15. Pros

Pros Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the info.

That sounds like an email template with your details shoved in there. You understand they're just asking you to display more ads.

If you have extra padding around the ads you're not using, go for it. Otherwise, think twice before redesigning your site, and if so, test it in a controlled environment first.

GL

Pros, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  16. denniss

Best Answers:
    Well, here the exact recommendation was to change from 250x250 format to 300x250 format, so very little changes needed to be done. I only had to extend the width of my sites somewhat. Really it's a 5 minute job per site if you know what you're doing.

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  17. denniss

Best Answers:
    ...and I am glad to fulfill their wish since it benefits me:)

denniss, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  18. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks. i wonder why they don't send this to all of the publishers. :D

etc, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  19. poosc

poosc Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow thanks! I've got loads of 250x250 and will be sure to try out 300x250. Interested to see the results :D

poosc, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  20. hitech4life

hitech4life Peon

Best Answers:
    good experience :) awsome !!

hitech4life, Feb 21, 2010 IP