1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Apache web server slow?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Black Beard, Feb 10, 2010.

Recently, I bought a semi dedicated server (VPS) from hivelocity and the server type they offer there is apache. Currently I only host my forum on the server and it's loading really slow. People have told me to change web servers but I feel that would cause a lot of trouble so I'll just stay with apache. How do I optimize the web server and enhance the loading speed?

Black Beard, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  2. fierceservers

fierceservers Peon

Best Answers:
    How is the load/memory consumption with Apache as it is? MySQL? Sometimes slow loading speeds can just be having to do with whats included in the forum template.

How many concurrent users on your forum? Depending on the size of the forum Apache should be well capable of handling the load.

fierceservers, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  3. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    Some people suggested me to install litespeed as it will enhance the load speed by 2x, is that true?

4. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Litespeed is a paid web server. I would suggest that you optimize your services for your hardware and usage, and then, if needed, look at other options.

Chris

RHS-Chris, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  5. fierceservers

fierceservers Peon

Best Answers:
    Apache can be heavily optimized to run very fast almost comparable to LiteSpeed. LiteSpeed also has a restrictive EULA which limits what you can run on the server. Plus they charge per CPU core.

As for now with Apache, how does the resource usage look on your server as of now? It could be MySQL that is driving the load/slow responses too, and might just need optimization.

fierceservers, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  6. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    The usage is very high as there are a lot of users online. Is there tutorials anywhere teaching you how to optimize apache/litespeed?

7. RHS-Chris

RHS-Chris Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There are many out there, just use your favorite search engine. Alternatively, you could hire a server admin to do the work as well.

RHS-Chris, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  8. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    I like learning so I might as well hire an server admin and ask him to teach me.

Black Beard, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  9. Sombrero777

Sombrero777 Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends what you have as application that you are running. I recommend caching (xcache) for faster load of the pages.

Sombrero777, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  10. sahabcse

sahabcse Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try to use ngnix web server. nginx is noted to be a good server for sites that need fast, efficient serving of static content. It is acclaimed for having low memory usage and is recommended for sites running on a VPS

sahabcse, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  11. n3r0x

n3r0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nginx, lighttpd and cherokee is usually better than Apache but can be harder to setup than apache. But it´s worth it.

n3r0x, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  12. chrisj383

chrisj383 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hivelocity shouldn't face issues, i have 2 servers there running fine and extremely quick on 100mbps port. How much RAM/CPU/BW MBPS do you have?

chrisj383, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  13. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard lighttpd have loopholes.

Black Beard, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  14. n3r0x

n3r0x Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Not that i´ve heard of and many of the people i know that works in the hosting biz uses lighttpd and according to them it was he best they have used.. personally i´ve never tested either nginx or lighttpd only Cherokee.. running stable here so far.

n3r0x, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  15. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    Lighttpd has been proving the fastest and best web server but It has also been proving with loopholes. So, I'll stick with LiteSpeed.

Black Beard, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  16. williamshoop

williamshoop Peon

Best Answers:
    hi
    Hello, I recently migrated my webserver from a old temporary machine to my fast Core2 4GB DDR2 800 server. Sites were loading kind of slow on the old machine because the hardware just couldn't support it. I used the exact same apache config on the new server and... woah the sites are loading even slower. I'm talking about like 14 second on my LAN.

The browser status while waiting for the site to load is waiting for mydomain.com. At first I was thinking slow dns resolution because it takes forever to begin loading the page and then boom it loads quick. After browsing around the site for a while it begins to speed up. If I go to another virtual host on the same server, we start all over again. slow loading!

I changed the traffic back to my other server and it still loads at expected (much faster) times. It seems like my new apache server is just taking forever to respond to the http requests. Like I said, I'm using the same config files.

Please help.

williamshoop, Feb 16, 2010 IP